Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Guardian: American Life Retrospective Review

shoful

Featured Posts

Then: A heavy-handed, “wake up sheeple!” political awakening
Now: A brilliantly odd peek behind fame’s velvet rope”

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/sep/26/my-daft-punk-review-hasnt-aged-so-well-guardian-critics-on-getting-it-wrong

“Madonna’s ninth album, a dissection of the American dream in light of 9/11 and the buildup to the Iraq war, was hard to love upon its 2003 release. The title track and lead single was hampered by that rap, in which coffee enemas mingled with shoutouts to her Mini Cooper. But beneath the “money and fame don’t make you happy, guys” sloganeering, American Life offers us a tantalising glimpse at the “real”, unadorned Madonna. The gospel-tinged Nothing Fails and the guitar-led Intervention are glorious, unabashed love songs, while the bonkers Mother and Father lays her childhood trauma bare over splintering electro-pop. Her best album? Maybe. “
~ Michael Cragg, Guardian

giphy.gif

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
androiduser

love the album, but it has most definitely never been an anti-war album, it's all about fame and personal struggles with fame... then the war came before the album release, and Madonna tried to present it as something that it wasn't.

3 minutes ago, androiduser said:

love the album, but it has most definitely never been an anti-war album, it's all about fame and personal struggles with fame... then the war came before the album release, and Madonna tried to present it as something that it wasn't.

It definitely has some anti-war tones to it. I believe the single came out the same week as the war declaration so this was already her idea before. While it deals with personal struggles with fame and life. A lot of the songs reflect the struggle of American and what should be important to us

Just now, insight said:

The midlife crisis album

And one of her best :vegas:

jacs vs looser

It really is a fantastic album. 

28 minutes ago, tomsches said:

I still think she should have released the original American Life video

Same. At least we got to see it in the end, some unreleased videos never see the light of day. 

30 minutes ago, tomsches said:

I still think she should have released the original American Life video

She really couldn’t since her kids got threatened to be taken away 

androiduser
24 minutes ago, shoful said:

It definitely has some anti-war tones to it. I believe the single came out the same week as the war declaration so this was already her idea before. While it deals with personal struggles with fame and life. A lot of the songs reflect the struggle of American and what should be important to us

I think fans needed to look for a few vague lines and then had to interpret them to find some anti-war tones... "I've got to save my baby..." tHaT's aNti WaR!!!!!

American Life, the song, is especially not anti-war at all...

It's definitely one of her best albums. This definitely proves how critics mean nothing. When she was one of the few big popstars making music with themes like that, everyone rejected it. Now when it is popular, all of a sudden it is great and amazing.

I like dancin', and ponies....

androiduser
2 minutes ago, BadGurlMadge said:

She really couldn’t since her kids got threatened to be taken away 

she was threatened even more aggresively for the Live to Tell performance at the Confessions Tour but she still didn't change it. The AL controversy was exaggerated by Madonna and the fans to justify the commercial underperformance of the album.

27monster27
1 minute ago, androiduser said:

I think fans needed to look for a few vague lines and then had to interpret them to find some anti-war tones... "I've got to save my baby..." tHaT's aNti WaR!!!!!

American Life, the song, is especially not anti-war at all...

To be fair, Love Profusion felt like it had a war theme to it in the sense that she felt like she needed someone to shield her and distract her from all of the talk of conflict.

"There is so much destruction

What I want is an explanation"

he/him/his

Archived