Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Guardian: American Life Retrospective Review

shoful

Featured Posts

I really like the album for what it is esp amazing tracks like X Static Process and Nothing Fails.Still don't care for the title track though.  :bear:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShtoopidLahv

The problem is the music isn’t that great imo. I still appreciate it for what it is and the concept. I feel same for Madame X 

QueenGaga

Its really a album I began to love after many listens. AL MV is so relevant and tantalizing I just love it. The whole album as a whole feels like she wasnt looking for commercial success. Its a underrated gem :legend:

1 hour ago, Davian said:

Bedtime Stories I can accept eventhough it’s not Top 5 for me but Like a Prayer is definitely bottom half for me:bear: 

lap really is one of her worst albums for me 

9 minutes ago, Sexxx said:

lap really is one of her worst albums for me 

Same. The era and album are iconic but it’s really not that good as a whole tbh

What you want Lady Gaga🥂 What you want with Christina🥂

DiskoBaby

The Guardian is trash. Not for this but just in general. I never trusted them or agreed with a lot of their opinion pieces.

27monster27
1 hour ago, Justin Drew Bieber said:

Love Profusion is pop heaven

Yes! I love the dun dun dun dun, dun dun dun dun that comes in right before the "I got you under my skin." (If you know what I am talking about. :laughga:)

he/him/his

• 10 months later...
CuriousGeek82

I just listened to this album for the first time ever. 

I was familiar with the American Life, Hollywood and Die Another Day. But for whatever reason I did not seek this album out at the time of its release. I honestly can't think why. I'd been a fan of Madonna's since Bedtime Stories. Ray Of Light and Music the preceding albums are 2 of my favourite Madonna albums. 

The only thing I can think is that I was so put off by Die Another Day that I tuned out this period of Madonna. As Madonna Fans we are a fickle bunch, a lot of us have our self confessed eras (My husband only enjoys her 80s stuff) and I guess I was a 90s kid. 

So my thanks to Darren Hayes for putting this on my radar with a clip of Mother & Father from the Re-Invention Tour. 

The song just blew me away. Madonna has never shied away from a confessional lyric. But the rawness of the lyrics on Mother & Father really resonated with me

No one else I guess could hurt me like you did
I didn't understand, I was just a kid

They two lines summed up my own childhood. 

I'm delighted to have discovered a new Madonna album especially so many years after it's release. 

Nobody Knows Me is my standout track at the moment. 

As for the supposed anti-war theme of the album.. I can't really hear it. This album seems more about Madonna's struggle with her own identity. 

https://youtu.be/l531Pv_hd-U

Aussie
On 9/28/2020 at 3:58 AM, tomsches said:

I still think she should have released the original American Life video

Yeah it was a MASSIVE blow to the entire album’s promotion to have that masterpiece replaced by the cheap flags version. No one took that seriously but every time a person I know watches the original video they all love it, even those who dislike Madonna. One of her best ever music videos. I remember feeling similarly p….. off when Marilyn Manson’s label chose not to use his iconic Mickey Mouse image on the cover of TGAOG album as it was taken out of context due to the use of black face paint - black face is offensive yes but when it’s used through an art/music medium such as Marilyn Manson’s music and imagery there is a reason. Same way when he used the Jesus on a crucifix for Holy Wood. It’s supposed to provoke and make you learn more. But censorship works in strange ways and I guess sometimes they don’t want to take the risk.

Archived