💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga: Use 911 funds to help Armenia

hoeslay

Featured Posts

Hey everyone! I've seen dialogue amongst Armenians who love and appreciate that the 911 video shared their culture, but I've seen and had conversations with other folks who also feel that it's weird for someone with her privilege to use their culture for profit while having never really spoken on Armenian issues beforehand.

I think it is definitely a good idea for someone like Gaga who has the resources and the platform to do a little bit more because I agree that at the end of the day, as smart and beautiful as the video and concept are, she is profitting off of Armenian culture and has the means to contribute directly to the community. An Aremanian friend of mine shared this very useful link that I reccomend Gaga + y'all look into:

https://helparmenians.carrd.co/

Armenia has been going through A LOT - especially this past year. This carrd link has many articles and information, petition links, donation links. Gaga has plenty of money and if we really wanna claim to be progressive and "eat the rich" I'm sure she wouldn't suffer a loss donating at least a portion if honestly not all of the profits to something like the Women's Support Center of Armenia, which helps victims of domestic abuse. I know it can be scary because of politics but something like that for example is a simple humanitarian act that I think very much falls in line for what Gaga stands for. ❤

Also - if any Armenians on here think I'm overstepping my boundaries or have any otber useful ideas - pls feel free to let me know/share! :kara:

ShayCristoforo

I agree. Funds could be positioned to help ease unemployment, perhaps specifically with queer people who are largely stigmatized or outcast. 
It won't fix anything, but every little bit counts. 

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

Stupid Oreo

911 merch funds for armenia. Armenia will be better and we will have merch. Win-win :dom:

Spoiler

:billie:

5 minutes ago, Brecht said:

I don’t see that video making much profit but it would be nice of her.

It's LADY GAGA. LOTS of money comes from a music video by a large artist. Even the tiniest percentage like ad revenue could help a lot.

1 minute ago, HausOfAntonio said:

People acting like the vision is her’s completely and not the director’s though... :awkney:

That's true but Gaga was the one who made his vision come to fruition and it's her face bringing the message, it's not like he forced his vision into her and is the sole responsible for the consequences of it.

3 minutes ago, HausOfAntonio said:

People acting like the vision is her’s completely and not the director’s though... :awkney:

Irrelevant to the point though. It's both their video and both are making profit taking inspiration from a culture that is not theirs - which is fair because art is meant to be shared and they're not appropriating the culture - BUT it's a good idea to help contribute directly back into the community that inspired you if you have the means to do so, which they do.

GagaSine

I think it’s a lovely idea! However I really don’t think the revenue from the video would be that much. But selling merch for that cause would be great!

14 minutes ago, hoeslay said:

It's LADY GAGA. LOTS of money comes from a music video by a large artist. Even the tiniest percentage like ad revenue could help a lot.

Money isn’t really going to directly come from the video. Music videos are done essentially as advertisements. They spend millions on them in hopes it will sell more albums. Then even if they make money directly off of the videos through platforms that sell them like iTunes it’s still the label that is taking a large majority of that money since they are the ones that funded the video. Only thing 911 related Gaga is able to potentially make a decent amount for herself off of is merch. That’s the only place where the profit margin can be in the artists favor. But since her webstore is run through UMG who even knows about that...

Just now, Dayman said:

Money isn’t really going to directly come from the video. Music videos are done essentially as advertisements. They spend millions on them in hopes it will sell more albums. Then even if they make money directly off of the videos through platforms that sell them like iTunes it’s still the label that is taking a large majority of that money since they are the ones that funded the video. Only thing 911 related Gaga is able to potentially make a decent amount for herself off of is merch. That’s the only place where the profit margin can be in the artists favor. But since her webstore is run through UMG who even knows about that...

Any percentage she herself makes from it I'm sure wont hurt/she can't afford to donate. Even if she were do donate some funds directly from her own pocket which she's done for other causes before. 

HausOfAntonio
42 minutes ago, hoeslay said:

Irrelevant to the point though. It's both their video and both are making profit taking inspiration from a culture that is not theirs - which is fair because art is meant to be shared and they're not appropriating the culture - BUT it's a good idea to help contribute directly back into the community that inspired you if you have the means to do so, which they do.

I didn’t say it wasn’t, but its narrow-minded of people being critical towards her to think that she had no consideration towards Armenian culture. Its not like she’s profiting without acknowledging, respecting and celebrating. 

HausOfAntonio
45 minutes ago, Red said:

That's true but Gaga was the one who made his vision come to fruition and it's her face bringing the message, it's not like he forced his vision into her and is the sole responsible for the consequences of it.

There are no “consequences” to it :awkney: its literally just a magnificent music video, period. We don’t see people demanding reparation for Egyptian people from Katy Perry after Dark Horse....

22 minutes ago, HausOfAntonio said:

I didn’t say it wasn’t, but its narrow-minded of people being critical towards her to think that she had no consideration towards Armenian culture. Its not like she’s profiting without acknowledging, respecting and celebrating. 

I mean she obviously had consideration but it's not narrow minded for people of the culture to feel that she hasn't given the *proper* acknowledgement. It's one thing to feature the culture and celebrate it and another to take it a step further and reinvest *DIRECTLY* into the community. The whole world is built upon rich people who could be doing more - given Gaga does A LOT for A LOT of causes. 

Archived