⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

🎃 The October fan mail is here! 🎃
Sign in to follow this  
science

Mass deaths of migratory birds reported

PunkTheFunk

Mass deaths of migratory birds reported in New Mexico

_114402151_gettyimages-1164940646.jpg

Biologists in New Mexico have sounded the alarm after thousands of song birds were found dead in recent days.

New Mexico State University Professor Martha Desmond told local media that the reason for the mass die off is a mystery but could be tied to smoke from wildfires, or the recent cold weather.

The number of birds that have died may now be in the "millions", she said.

Scientists have reported North American bird populations have declined massively in recent years.

State biologists have asked people to report sightings of dead birds for further research to be conducted.

Some birds - including migratory warblers, swallows and bluebirds - were seen acting strangely before their deaths, according to witnesses.

"It's devastating. I don't think I've ever seen anything this horrible in my life," Prof Desmond, who works for the university's department of fish, wildlife, and conservation ecology, told KRQE-TV.

"When you're there, you know, picking them up off the ground and seeing the extent of it and then looking at all these carcasses come in," she continued.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54183430

Edited by PunkTheFunk
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 6

Indeciso

This along with the studied shown that birds are staying to sing new melodies or dropped some notes in their songs in a way never seen before, or something along those lines, are starting to worry me. Not to say climate change isn't scary. 

And also the death of big groups of Elephants it's worrisome. Something weird going on in the animal kingdom it's going on blindly to our eyes.

wetasspussy

and people still have the audacity to say that climate change is a hoax:fthis:

Esteban

It becomes hard to learn that kind of things on a dailys basis :( Even at my scale I notice the disappearance of some local little birds that I used to see before 

Edited by Esteban

GagaSine

Lol @ the people in the other thread who were saying climate change isn’t going to kill us all in the next 30+ years

• Thanks 1

TimisaMonster

It might be due to the smoke but also have people checked into the earths magnetic fields fluctuating??? 

Stream my new single 🔥"Dance in the Flames"🔥 on Spotify!

RahrahWitch

The fires are probably a contributing factor to the spike but if the populations have been declining for years it's probably a bigger cause. Most likely, climate change.

KORG

Pollution and the growth of industry are the main factors, with climate change coming in third. Think of how many wild birds Beijing must be missing in comparison to when their air wasn't a toxic cloud.

The green energy revolution cant come soon enough.

Unless... please tell me its not bird flu again. 

Shadow

It's a sad day when we lose so many creatures, even whole species, due to pollution and waste. 

Misery when "all I wanted was love."

PunkTheFunk
3 hours ago, GagaSine said:

Lol @ the people in the other thread who were saying climate change isn’t going to kill us all in the next 30+ years

Its litrally a hoax luv xx :bear:

GagaSine
2 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

Its litrally a hoax luv xx :bear:

God I wish :air:

Woolfsmck
5 hours ago, TimisaMonster said:

It might be due to the smoke but also have people checked into the earths magnetic fields fluctuating??? 

I've seen some theories that suggest that earth is nearing a polarity shift ... interem periods have the earth with no defined poles at all ... 

Climate change is a natural event, add human contribution to the atmosphere and you get .... ugh!

like a cat in a sil, I observe life, moving and still. My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true
  • Like 2