Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why is the MR music video hated so much?

Hybrid AT

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Mer Boy said:

In my opinion, it seemed like a very low effort video. The 'story' was cliché. The visuals were bland and uninspired. There are so many artists who do stripped-down videos that appear to have more thought and creativity put into them. The video she did for Joanne is a good example of a stripped-down video done well. 

But Joanne(the song) is about reflection and mourning. That's why she's wandering around in the woods in a pensive state. MR(the song) is about "needing a good reason to stay". In the video that's her friends and family. It also shows how much she struggles when the cameras aren't rolling to keep herself together with the help of people around her.

That's some harsh criticism in your words that I just don't agree with but to each their own, obviously :)

"I was protected by the monks of Azarath, I was raised by my friends. They are my family, this is my home and you are not welcome here."

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont dislike it but has so many things bothering me:

at first it seems like she was picked up from the dessert and took to film the film video right away, she seems unhappy, like she's so alone and they force her to do it

but then they show the scene where her friends come out of the vans and hug her? like it's from the first scene but kinda ruins the concept i described before and makes the "story" of the video kinda weird

also the scenes with the guitar and the relligious necklace are kinda cringey lol

but i mean overall i dont hate it by any means but i must have watched it like 3 times? idk

also when it was released as single i didnt have much expectations on the video since it is a ballad, it kinda fits tho

... and now i just sit in silence.

16 minutes ago, Antonoff said:

i dont dislike it but has so many things bothering me:

at first it seems like she was picked up from the dessert and took to film the film video right away, she seems unhappy, like she's so alone and they force her to do it

but then they show the scene where her friends come out of the vans and hug her? like it's from the first scene but kinda ruins the concept i described before and makes the "story" of the video kinda weird

also the scenes with the guitar and the relligious necklace are kinda cringey lol

but i mean overall i dont hate it by any means but i must have watched it like 3 times? idk

also when it was released as single i didnt have much expectations on the video since it is a ballad, it kinda fits tho

It's their way of showing how her friends are the one helping her keep her sh*t together even though sometimes she feels like quitting music because of the turmoil in her life. Her friends are the "reason for her to stay". And also her family, with the necklace (yeah that's cringey, but still meaningful). At least that's my brief interpretation of the video.

16 minutes ago, Antonoff said:

i must have watched it like 3 times? 

That's more than most of the fanbase lol. I bet some people still haven't watched it in full just because it's "boring" or whatever :yennefer:

"I was protected by the monks of Azarath, I was raised by my friends. They are my family, this is my home and you are not welcome here."

1 minute ago, HausOfAntonio said:

I didn’t know Million Reasons had a music video :ladyhaha:

EgPmihUWsAI5OuL?format=jpg&name=360x360

HausOfAntonio
1 minute ago, HybridAT said:

EgPmihUWsAI5OuL?format=jpg&name=360x360

:teehee:

I’m not into it. The plot and execution are too cliche and imo not self aware enough to make it artistically exciting :shrug:

Wet Fire

Joanne (piano version) music video also is simple but I find that much more aesthetically pleasing than Million Reasons.

warhol killer

Honestly, when I first watched the video, I admit that I was a little disappointed with it, since I was kinda' expecting some kind of visual similar to this:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20170727061750

latest?cb=20180406192557

latest?cb=20161115180729

07-MILLION.png

And also I think that the fact that they used the same set of the Apple Music 2016 commercial, felt like it was a rehash/there was laziness in the idea. But while watching the video again when I was editing the Evolution of Gaga video, I realized that there was nothing wrong with the idea/story of the video. I think it was really her showing her raw side, which I think what the black and white scenes was. I think that the pink suit and white background scenes were supposed to be the iconic image of the video (which did became the iconic image of the era).

The thing that irks me (which I realized) was the editing: the way they edited the scenes of how she's suddenly in her make-up and suit suddenly singing the lyrics, then cuts back to her being glamed up again. I also hate how they cut/edited the desert scenes, it's too choppy. I'm pretty sure with better cuts and editing, it would have been an okay video for me to watch in 2016.

warhol killer ✴ GAGA¹⁵

ElectricAlley
23 minutes ago, Wet Fire said:

Joanne (piano version) music video also is simple but I find that much more aesthetically pleasing than Million Reasons.

THIS!!! I love the Joanne music video. It’s what I envisioned for million reasons. Just a simple, aesthetically pleasing video to fit the song. The video we got for million reasons just seems really forced.

Archived