Watch the official commercial for Voce Viva

Sign in to follow this  
science

Signs of Life Found on Venus

DiskoBaby
2 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

Because if God is all-knowing, all-loving, all-forgiving, etc., why wouldn't he be concerned with other planets and other life forms? If God is the ultimate, supreme ruler of all, why only be concerned with Earth and humans? He has galaxies to love and protect. 

If there are other life forms out there, then why even believe in any religion when you know that your existence isn't all that significant. The reason why religion came into being was because humans thought that they were important enough to have a religion. 

The existence of life outside of earth doesn’t mean that god is “ignoring them”. The salvation of humans is about humans on Earth. Tell me how is it relevant for god to tell humans the story of grey aliens in a planet far far away from us? How is that relevant to humans getting into heaven? It’s not. The Bible, Quran, the ancient scriptures of Hinduism and Buddhism are about humans struggles. 

If intelligent aliens came here with their own religious beliefs, would you call theirs bullshit? I bet the idea of intelligent aliens having their own religion never caught on to you.

• Like 1

Bottom

This seems like a good opportunity to post the sailor moon theme song, sailor venus won

• YAAAS 1

Joshie S

I started reading this thread while I was watching the Lady Gaga - artRAVE Live from Paris and she was literally performing Venus:bye:

i think not coincidence GIF

Gaga knew there was life form there and would one day be discovered after signing her Illuminati contract in 2009 and decided to write a song about it in 2013 and named the album the album of the millennium.:enigma:

lady gaga smile GIF

OT: this is so cool I can't wait for the announcement

The melody that you choose can rescue you
  • Shook 1

Wet Fire

Omg so pumped up :giveup::party:

Franz Ferdinand

If its true then thats cute. It doesnt feel like a major discovery to me since it affects us in no way whatsoever but itd be cool to have proof that life exists elsewhere.

M Monstre
11 minutes ago, DiskoBaby said:

The existence of life outside of earth doesn’t mean that god is “ignoring them”. The salvation of humans is about humans on Earth. Tell me how is it relevant for god to tell humans the story of grey aliens in a planet far far away from us? How is that relevant to humans getting into heaven? It’s not. The Bible, Quran, the ancient scriptures of Hinduism and Buddhism are about humans struggles. 

If intelligent aliens came here with their own religious beliefs, would you call theirs bullshit? I bet the idea of intelligent aliens having their own religion never caught on to you.

The problem is that you're trying to make a human-centric god the God of all Gods.

If God was just a human god and only dealt with human affairs, then fine, I can understand that, but that's not the case. In Christianity, God is the supreme ruler of all. That is far more impactful and far-reaching than just being the "god of humans." If that's the case, why don't we hear anything about any other civilization? Why is it all centered around humans? It's because people created religion because they thought they were the only ones in the universe, so they tried to make sense of the world around them. However as technology and our understanding of science has evolved, so does that mindset. 

And depending on what the aliens believed, yeah, I'd call their religion bullshit. You thought you did something hun :hor: 

• Thanks 1

RahrahWitch

This will be huge if true.

I'm kind of scared what the religious nuts will do with the news tho.

• Like 3

Bottom
Just now, RahrahWitch said:

They will just claim this is another sign that god created the universe because he put life there, then they will pull out some quote from whatever book they follow to show us how it was predicted there all along.

• Like 4

DiskoBaby
2 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

The problem is that you're trying to make a human-centric god the God of all Gods.

If God was just a human god and only dealt with human affairs, then fine, I can understand that, but that's not the case. In Christianity, God is the supreme ruler of all. That is far more impactful and far-reaching than just being the "god of humans." If that's the case, why don't we hear anything about any other civilization? Why is it all centered around humans? It's because people created religion because they thought they were the only ones in the universe, so they tried to make sense of the world around them. However as technology and our understanding of science has evolved, so does that mindset. 

And depending on what the aliens believed, yeah, I'd call their religion bullshit. You thought you did something hun :hor: 

You’re still not grasping the fact that if true, it still has nothing to do with other beings and everything to do with humans. The salvation of others creatures is irrelevant to humans. Religion doesn’t talk about the salvation of animals, therefore creatures outside of earth would not be relevant to humans salvation. The existence of extraterrestrial life would not damper religion at all because it doesn’t talk about them, it talks about US.

RahrahWitch
1 minute ago, Bottom said:

They will just claim this is another sign that god created the universe because he put life there, then they will pull out some quote from whatever book they follow to show us how it was predicted there all along.

As long as they don't cause an uproar they can think whatever they want  :billie:

• Like 1

JoeMo
27 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

Isn't that the issue though? It's because they're Earth-centric. You can't have something that takes place solely on Earth and that only talks about humans in relation to God with the Earth and then have other living, intelligent beings out there who have absolutely nothing to do with the religion.

I feel like having the existence of intelligent life on other planets would at least do something though. I do agree that evolution should already be enough evidence for people to say, "Hey! This isn't what I was taught in religious ed...", but those people chalk it up to, "Well, you can have God create the world, and then evolution be what took place after that!"

The existence of aliens and other intelligent life forms on other planets would destroy some of the fundamental pillars of some major religions. 

Yeah, absolutely - I think it would give a number of religious people food for thought - but it wouldn’t be enough to rid the world of religion entirely. 

Very good example here (warning - extremely irritating to watch) 

Debate just doesn’t work with these sorts of people, regardless of evidence. 

• Like 2

M Monstre
Just now, DiskoBaby said:

You’re still not grasping the fact that if true, it still has nothing to do with other beings and everything to do with humans. The salvation of others creatures is irrelevant to humans. Religion doesn’t talk about the salvation of animals, therefore creatures outside of earth would not be relevant to humans salvation. The existence of extraterrestrial life would not damper religion at all because it doesn’t talk about them, it talks about US.

I understand that, but you're still proving my point. 

Animals are talked about in the Bible. So even if God isn't concerned with the salvation of animals, at the very least they're still mentioned. So where are the other alien civilizations mentioned? 

• Love 1

DiskoBaby
5 minutes ago, RahrahWitch said:

That’s why the Pope made an announcement in advance to prepare people for this possibility. 

StarstruckIllusion
27 minutes ago, dynamite said:

All this religion talk is putting a dampener on the non-fictional discovery that awaits us (:bear:)

Grumpy Cat Annoyed Face GIF

this. I wanna fight but I’m holding back 😬😬 This is astrobiology’s moment.  

• YAAAS 1

Franz Ferdinand

Inb4 trump claims venusian microbes rigged the election

Edited by Franz Ferdinand