Watch the official commercial for Voce Viva

Sign in to follow this  
science

Signs of Life Found on Venus

Economy
13 minutes ago, sarahb said:

I think it's that living beings are known to create it on rocky planets only.

From National Geographic: "In the outer solar system, phosphine is made deep in the interiors of Jupiter and Saturn. Near the giant planets’ cores, the temperatures and pressures are extreme enough to craft the molecule, which then rises through the atmosphere. But on rocky planets, where conditions are significantly less extreme, there’s no known way to make phosphine in the absence of life—it’s just too energetically demanding."

Titan is the only other world we know of to have liquid lakes, rivers and seas. There also might be an underground ocean, same as Europa. 

But really I just listed the first planets/moons I could think of that have been theorised to have life :sweat:

Ahhhhhhhh ok I get it now. When I first read it I took it as there's no known chemical reaction to make it outside living beings

I did not realize they meant a known chemical reaction in Rocky planets specifically

Of course it doesn't mean there isn't one just cuz we don't know it. I can immagine getting all excited and Venus turns out to not have anything :rip:

Enigma
16 hours ago, DiskoBaby said:

The existence of life outside of earth doesn’t mean that god is “ignoring them”. The salvation of humans is about humans on Earth. Tell me how is it relevant for god to tell humans the story of grey aliens in a planet far far away from us? How is that relevant to humans getting into heaven? It’s not. The Bible, Quran, the ancient scriptures of Hinduism and Buddhism are about humans struggles. 

If intelligent aliens came here with their own religious beliefs, would you call theirs bullshit? I bet the idea of intelligent aliens having their own religion never caught on to you.

So you're saying just because a religion exists means their beliefs are true...?

But if anything I'd be more prone to believe in whatever the aliens believe in, considering our religions have been proved to be bullshit for centuries

Helxig

Watch them bring it back to Earth to study it, where it flourishes at an alarming rate, eventually infecting all of humanity and wiping us all out yasss

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.
  • YAAAS 1

DiskoBaby
4 hours ago, Enigma said:

So you're saying just because a religion exists means their beliefs are true...?

But if anything I'd be more prone to believe in whatever the aliens believe in, considering our religions have been proved to be bullshit for centuries

How am I supposed to answer that? You already believe religion to be bullshit so what am I supposed to say next?

PartySick
22 hours ago, homomo said:

We definitely could send a probe to skim the atmosphere, scoop something up, and have people research it on the International Space Station

Do you want an alien infection? 'Cause that's how you get an alien infection

james cameron aliens GIF by foxhorror

22 hours ago, monster said:

Okay but if there is life on venus, can we leave them alone though? like can we NOT bother them..

I'd like to think we would. I mean, we've crashed satellites into Jupiter on the off chance of contaminating/damaging Europa :shrug:

As long as we leave space to the scientists it'll be ok.

🇲ake🇦ssholes🇬o🇦way

PartySick

In case anyone was wondering how religions would react to the news of intelligent aliens, note that it took two pages to get an argument going about it on a Lady Gaga forum :huntyga:

Society would collapse :huntyga:

🇲ake🇦ssholes🇬o🇦way
  • LMAO 2

sarahb
10 hours ago, Economy said:

Ahhhhhhhh ok I get it now. When I first read it I took it as there's no known chemical reaction to make it outside living beings

I did not realize they meant a known chemical reaction in Rocky planets specifically

Of course it doesn't mean there isn't one just cuz we don't know it. I can immagine getting all excited and Venus turns out to not have anything :rip:

Either way it's something completely new to science, whether it's a previously completely unknown chemical reaction or life on another planet. 

Though the life on another planet explanation would be a little more exciting to people :laughga:

Kirigiri
6 hours ago, Enigma said:

it would be cool if those Venus aliens look like the alien in your picture :giveup:

• YAAAS 1