Katy Perry says she's gonna try her best to tour Smile next year

Bradley

Featured Posts

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Economy
1 hour ago, Suspiria said:

People can say what they want about Katy but she is so good to her fans:bradley: the way they are constantly FEASTING on content.

Ā 

(ps This is genuinely not Gaga shade. I am just really impressed by how much Katy is doing given all the circumstances)

Yeah being a Katy stan must be amazing that way

Ā 

Being an Adele, Gaga or as of late Rihanna fan really sucks ass sometimes :enigma:

MonsterofFame

I really don't understand how Katy's career seems to have disappeared as fast as Iggy Azalea's. Yet... Katy didn't do anything bad.. justĀ release a mediocre album which really wasn't that bad.

Smile has theĀ Teenage Dream-era soundĀ we've all been wanting from Katy for years now, and it didn't even enter the Hot 100 yet.Ā I really don't understand what's going on.Ā 

ThisGuyTony
1 hour ago, Runway said:

maybe she can do a small theater tourĀ 

After Witness, I donā€™t know if theyā€™d want to invest in arenas... :shrug:

Economy
6 hours ago, MonsterofFame said:

I really don't understand how Katy's career seems to have disappeared as fast as Iggy Azalea's. Yet... Katy didn't do anything bad.. justĀ release a mediocre album which really wasn't that bad.

Smile has theĀ Teenage Dream-era soundĀ we've all been wanting from Katy for years now, and it didn't even enter the Hot 100 yet.Ā I really don't understand what's going on.Ā 

I think Katy was a classic case of an artist that had very heavy support from the general public and much less so from a hardcore loyal fan base

Ā 

The fans she did have were mostly younger and grew up but her art didn't mature along with her fans

Ā 

The result is that when the general public moved on, so did her fans and suddenly she doesn't have almost any base supporting her hence such an epic and rapid collapse in power and popularity

Ā 

Other big artists artists like Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Drake etc all either have more solid fan bases or they changed it up and reinvented themselves to keep attention, one or the other, or even both like in Lady Gaga's case. But In Katy Perry's case, neither

Ā 

So I'm not surprised that out of the really big names in music from this past generation Katy Perry fell the hardest

Ā 

Actually what happened to Katy Perry has happened all the time over and over again throughout music history, but the last generation of big artists that became famous 2008-2011 kind of range have had an abnormal resiliency for whatever reason (maybe because they were early birds to social media and capitalized on a close connection with fans and created loyal basis that before was harder to make)... Many big artists of the last 10-13 years after a decade or more are still going strong...

Ā 

Katy stands out because she's the one that was so high and fell down so low so quickly but normally there's more of that going on

33 minutes ago, ThisGuyTony said:

Witness was successful (?), went to the Stockholm concert and there were barely empty seats, and from other tour dates i donā€™t see that itā€™s empty seats like a flop concertĀ 

StrawberryBlond

She may well be over-estimating how quickly she can go back to work. Many a first time mother has made plans to return and then had to backtrack. I wondered if she put this album out while pregnant so it would be a handy excuse for why she couldn't tour, actually, as it's clear that there will be very little demand this time around. The pandemic is also providing an extra excuse. It's going to be interesting to see if a tour ever does go ahead if she'll go to (small) arenas or theatres. Not since the days of Xtina and Jessie J have I seen an artist go from big hit to no demand in the space of one album and they downgraded from arenas to theatres with their next releases, so...it's nothing against her, just pointing out the facts. It's going to be weird for all involved if that's the case. At most, if she's still going to do arenas, it'll be a very small tour.

55 minutes ago, Economy said:

Actually what happened to Katy Perry has happened all the time over and over again throughout music history, but the last generation of big artists that became famous 2008-2011 kind of range have had an abnormal resiliency for whatever reason (maybe because they were early birds to social media and capitalized on a close connection with fans and created loyal basis that before was harder to make)... Many big artists of the last 10-13 years after a decade or more are still going strong...

That's what I've been saying as well. Most artists are done being big commercial stars after their first 3 albums. Only a select few go on to have decades of success and become legends who can still command an audience years later. There's so many artists to choose from, especially now, so the public have to be very selective about who they want to make their fave to the point where they buy all their work. If we bought all the singles, albums and tour tickets of every single artist we ever enjoyed, we'd all be drowning in debt. There's usually just one artist for who we are unquestionably devoted and everyone else just gets streamed, they're lucky if they get a single downloaded. Therefore, artists have to carve out a loyal fanbase if they want to be around for years to come. Singles are for the public, albums are for fans. The public will buy your breakout release, some may still hang out for your follow-up but by album #3, the majority of them will be gone and all that are left are your fans to tide you over now. Katy just didn't hit the jackpot when it came to fan loyalty. It's not her fault, necessarily. Artists don't get to choose how loyal their fans are. But the fact she's still refusing to mature the majority of her work was a major factor. Her younger fans have now grown up and find her too immature and any would-be older fans still consider her to be an artist for kids and can't take her seriously as an adult artist. If I was in my mid-thirties, I'd be very concerned if I looked out at the crowd at my concert and just saw a bunch of kids, teens and early 20-somethings. Artists should connect with people their own age more than anything. Capitol insisted she play to the younger demographic for way too long.

Economy
25 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

She may well be over-estimating how quickly she can go back to work. Many a first time mother has made plans to return and then had to backtrack. I wondered if she put this album out while pregnant so it would be a handy excuse for why she couldn't tour, actually, as it's clear that there will be very little demand this time around. The pandemic is also providing an extra excuse. It's going to be interesting to see if a tour ever does go ahead if she'll go to (small) arenas or theatres. Not since the days of Xtina and Jessie J have I seen an artist go from big hit to no demand in the space of one album and they downgraded from arenas to theatres with their next releases, so...it's nothing against her, just pointing out the facts. It's going to be weird for all involved if that's the case. At most, if she's still going to do arenas, it'll be a very small tour.

That's what I've been saying as well. Most artists are done being big commercial stars after their first 3 albums. Only a select few go on to have decades of success and become legends who can still command an audience years later. There's so many artists to choose from, especially now, so the public have to be very selective about who they want to make their fave to the point where they buy all their work. If we bought all the singles, albums and tour tickets of every single artist we ever enjoyed, we'd all be drowning in debt. There's usually just one artist for who we are unquestionably devoted and everyone else just gets streamed, they're lucky if they get a single downloaded. Therefore, artists have to carve out a loyal fanbase if they want to be around for years to come. Singles are for the public, albums are for fans. The public will buy your breakout release, some may still hang out for your follow-up but by album #3, the majority of them will be gone and all that are left are your fans to tide you over now. Katy just didn't hit the jackpot when it came to fan loyalty. It's not her fault, necessarily. Artists don't get to choose how loyal their fans are. But the fact she's still refusing to mature the majority of her work was a major factor. Her younger fans have now grown up and find her too immature and any would-be older fans still consider her to be an artist for kids and can't take her seriously as an adult artist. If I was in my mid-thirties, I'd be very concerned if I looked out at the crowd at my concert and just saw a bunch of kids, teens and early 20-somethings. Artists should connect with people their own age more than anything. Capitol insisted she play to the younger demographic for way too long.

Yeah. The entertainment business especially with music has always typically been fast cycle careers (at least in terms of the megastar peak status whereby are everywhere and everyone knows you).

Ā 

Big legend names that lasted like Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Elton John, Barbara Streisand, The Beatles etc etc etc are definitely the rare highlights and exceptions and names like that are a very small fraction of all the singers that at some points by we're famous going back several decades

Ā 

Again at the moment we're at a time in history where we've had an abnormally high number of big artists that have lasted a long time by music career standards and even my dad noticed that too (he's 52) that usually u don't have this many artists remain relevant

Ā 

Lady Gaga, Adele, Rihanna, Justin Bieber, Drake, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, I'd even dare say Nicky Minaj despite her hiatus have all lasted much longer than big artists usually do. Heck even Katy Perry lasted longer than most pop careers

Ā 

I think this generation is not used to seeing big name artists disappear as often because like I said this wave of artists got to capitalize on the early days of social media

Ā 

So Katy Perry's collapse appears tragic and she stands out because the other big names we knew haven't died, but it's actually Katy who has had the normal pop star career... The others are all aberations by historical standards

huttont

I hope she does! She surprised me so much at the Witness Tour. I didnā€™t expect much and she was so good

7 hours ago, Blue Lagoon said:

Zombies are coming next year so

Will they be wasted?Ā :enigma:

Xoxo Adriana
5 hours ago, ThisGuyTony said:

just like the other user said, witness tour actually didnā€™t do that bad. it had a bigger box office than the california dreams tour. people comparing witness tour to prismatic tour need to remember she toured PT for a year and a half, hence the bigger sales.

the only thing witness tour lacked was attendance. it only had an attendance of like 80%-90%, which compared to the two previous tours being 99% attendance rate was a massive drop. still not bad. regardless, katy never settles for less and always wants a bigger/campier stage. even if the GP doesnā€™t like the album theyā€™ll still attend for the hits, katy always makes her shows GP friendly too.

she sold out like three shows here in melb alone!

12 minutes ago, Xoxo Adriana said:

just like the other user said, witness tour actually didnā€™t do that bad. it had a bigger box office than the california dreams tour. people comparing witness tour to prismatic tour need to remember she toured PT for a year and a half, hence the bigger sales.

the only thing witness tour lacked was attendance. it only had an attendance of like 80%-90%, which compared to the two previous tours being 99% attendance rate was a massive drop. still not bad. regardless, katy never settles for less and always wants a bigger/campier stage. even if the GP doesnā€™t like the album theyā€™ll still attend for the hits, katy always makes her shows GP friendly too.

she sold out like three shows here in melb alone!

The real attendance is much lower, I remember they covered large area of empty seats with black sheets in many shows and didn't report those seats as available ticket spots, the attendance for those shows are like 60-70%.

8 hours ago, Bradley said:

Yall DO NOT let this album flop. :bradley:Ā There are actually artists who want to perform their music live and promote it.

She can perform on the MOON, but if the music is bad...:trollga:

Archived