Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Rita Ora gets blackfishing accusations

holy scheisse

Featured Posts

GagaSine
6 minutes ago, Economy said:

That's seems a little contradictory

The entire social media keeps bringing white priveledge to mind and how POC have it harder to succeed and it's easier if ur white

And black women in particular have a much lower rate of success in music

What would she be gaining by trying to pass as black?

You are misunderstanding entirely. White people use black aesthetics to achieve popularity all the time. It is a very common thing, it is also why light skinned black artists like Beyoncé tend to be more successful.

I would recommend reading/engaging with black works about appropriation & colorism. 

People want black aesthetics because it’s cool but it’s more digestible on white/passing/light skin people.

See the Kardashian’s whole aesthetic. Before having big lips and huge asses was considered ugly and ghetto but now it is the most popular aesthetic and highly sought after. Why? Because white women popularized it.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
elijahfan

Always thought she was mixed-race. Sometimes genes work in very strange ways... A bit like Björk, who has absolutely no known Asian or Inuit background.

Economy
16 minutes ago, Brecht said:

Because people love black culture but hate black people.

But as an entertainer which is the bigger factor? Would she really be gaining or not? 

If on a net basis of there is more to be gained than lost by this because of ppl loving black culture (even tho they don't love black people) then that doesn't seem to support few black females being successful in which case she isn't gaining from this which makes it questionable to think she's doing this for gains?

GagaSine
1 minute ago, Economy said:

But as an entertainer which is the bigger factor? Would she really be gaining or not? 

If on a net basis of there is more to be gained than lost by this because of ppl loving black culture (even tho they don't love black people) then that doesn't seem to support few black females being successful in which case she isn't gaining from this which makes it questionable to think she's doing this for gains?

I think you’re thinking about it too much and are going in logic circles lol

she did it to be trendy and cool, wether it worked or not is irrelevant. 

2 minutes ago, Economy said:

I really don't think she is doing it for gains, but she is benefitting from it. The lighter the skin tone, the bigger the success. When they see Rita Ora, they see someone that sells black culture but has a lighter skin. 

Economy
3 minutes ago, Brecht said:

I really don't think she is doing it for gains, but she is benefitting from it. The lighter the skin tone, the bigger the success. When they see Rita Ora, they see someone that sells black culture but has a lighter skin. 

True. She gets the coolness of black culture but still light enough to be seen as "attractive" as she's light but not too pale which is considered the most desirable

Runway

So she's white but her label tried to sell her as a wannabe rihanna in the US. Laughable :billie:

57 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

Also I would just like people to consider the fact that in the US hair styles that are traditionally associated with black people are often banned from schools and workplaces, considered unprofessional and dirty. That’s why it’s a problem. A white woman wears it for fashion while it is literally a part of black history and culture and if a black person showed up to school/work with their natural hair or a traditional style they would be asked to leave.

Until the playing field is levelled it will still be considered controversial.

THIS !!!! Its women like the Kardashians, Miley Cyrus, Madonna, Katy Perry and even though i do like her Ariana Grande who steal trends/vibes from black women/culture and never truly pinpoint when they've taken the inspiration from. People say cultural appropriation is stupid but it really isn't when the people who started the trend/style are getting shamed, fired from jobs and made fun of whilst white people are being praised for it.

hieronymus
8 minutes ago, MANiCURE 6 said:

I'm tired of these useless polemics... :koons:

So don't participate in them

ALGAYDO

Que the people who rush in to tell us that Cultural Appropriation is a myth and that black aesthetics are for everyone (even tho only black people reap the negatives while the whites reap the positives) :billie:

1 hour ago, elijahfan said:

Always thought she was mixed-race. Sometimes genes work in very strange ways... A bit like Björk, who has absolutely no known Asian or Inuit background.

wait what?!

this whole thread has me shook :messga:

who else?! 

• Glamourpuss locked this topic

Archived