💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Rita Ora gets blackfishing accusations

holy scheisse

Featured Posts

holy scheisse

"People are just realizing that both of Rita Ora's parents are white, and now she's being accused of 'blackfishing'

Rita Ora is a 29-year-old singer whose family is from Kosovo. Though Ora is white, it seems that many people incorrectly assume she's Black or mixed-race.

A tweet calling attention to her parentage and accusing Ora of "blackfishing" racked up nearly 100,000 likes and 20,000 retweets on Sunday.

Ora has worn cornrows and laid edges and has apparently drawn plenty of fashion inspiration from Black culture.

People have accused Ora of intentionally encouraging a racially ambiguous image."

Source: https://bit.ly/3adkqzb 

Rita's being accused of blackfishing. It seems that many news publications are coming out with stories about this in the past day. Are you surprised to learn Rita Ora is not in fact Black or mixed-race, or had you been knew? And what are your thoughts on this?:oprah:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regina George

I knew she's not black for some time now but I though she was half black before.. I'm not surprised because:

I2fYtgLWJLGgLifxGSKCXMKoKeCgjUv49dDcjH02

I'm the first one to call cultural appropriation a bull because hairstyle is for everyone and everyone can wear it IMO but she just has that exotic look

Economy

Make up trends and fashion you choose to follow now makes u trying to pass as another race????

The reach of this accusation if that's their only evidence :toofunny:

GagaSine

Yes I was very surprised when I found out she is white. I think it‘s a little unfair for people to criticize her about it as she cannot help how she looks but at the same time she has definitely capitalized on the ambiguity and used it to her advantage which is messed up.

GagaSine

Also I would just like people to consider the fact that in the US hair styles that are traditionally associated with black people are often banned from schools and workplaces, considered unprofessional and dirty. That’s why it’s a problem. A white woman wears it for fashion while it is literally a part of black history and culture and if a black person showed up to school/work with their natural hair or a traditional style they would be asked to leave.

Until the playing field is levelled it will still be considered controversial.

Lion Heart

I thought she was black :saladga:

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

raragaga

let's cancel everyone

xoxo

GagaSine
Just now, raragaga said:

let's cancel everyone

She’s still rich :vegas: she’s gonna be fine lol

Lion Heart

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Economy
9 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

Yes I was very surprised when I found out she is white. I think it‘s a little unfair for people to criticize her about it as she cannot help how she looks but at the same time she has definitely capitalized on the ambiguity and used it to her advantage which is messed up.

That's seems a little contradictory

The entire social media keeps bringing white priveledge to mind and how POC have it harder to succeed and it's easier if ur white

And black women in particular have a much lower rate of success in music

What would she be gaining by trying to pass as black?

18 minutes ago, Economy said:

Make up trends and fashion you choose to follow now makes u trying to pass as another race????

The reach of this accusation if that's their only evidence :toofunny:

19 minutes ago, Regina George said:

I2fYtgLWJLGgLifxGSKCXMKoKeCgjUv49dDcjH02

It’s not about "makeup and fashion" it’s these hair examples above. It’s very clear that she tries to pass off as a POC.  If Ariana and the Kardashians can be dragged on social media for it, she can too. 

3 minutes ago, Economy said:

That's seems a little contradictory

The entire social media keeps bringing white priveledge to mind and how POC have it harder to succeed and it's easier if ur white

And black women in particular have a much lower rate of success in music

What would she be gaining by trying to pass as black?

Because people love black culture but hate black people.

• Glamourpuss locked this topic

Archived