Rita Ora gets blackfishing accusations

holy scheisse

Featured Posts

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheOriginalOne
16 hours ago, Twitter said:

Um YES! I’m Black and in the Black community this was discussed. For the most part we claim her as hispanic NOT Black. 

Bitch, she sure the hell aint Hispanic and we don’t want her either. She like European or some **** :excuseu:

NCgaga
17 hours ago, ALGAYDO said:

Que the people who rush in to tell us that Cultural Appropriation is a myth and that black aesthetics are for everyone (even tho only black people reap the negatives while the whites reap the positives) :billie:

Cultural appropriation isn’t a myth- but it is severely blown out of proportion. The whole world and civilizations are formed off of what other civilizations learned from the other. Sometimes it’s stolen, sometimes it’s shared. It’s an endless cycle of cultures absorbing practices or looks from other cultures. We can call out “blackfishing” as a problem, sure White Or mostly white Artist/celebrities like Rita Ora, Ariana Grande, Christina Aguilera, MariaH Carey, Kylie Jenner, Fergie have all done what biracial or light skinned black artists have done- and that’s benefit from their racial ambiguity. If you are racially ambiguous, you will have more fans. This is something that has happened for years. The popular black artists/celebrities benefit highly from being racially ambiguous as well- and that’s from their black fans preferring lighter skin due to colorism. There is a reason Beyonce, nicki, etc never wear their natural hair, and always use excessive highlighter and skin lightening makeup and lighting. They know what sells to their black audience as well. 

Economy
15 hours ago, Gagi said:

Do people realize that there are “white” people with features that are not 100% Caucasian?

My sister has very brown skin (especially when it’s summer time) and curls, she could easily pass as a light skin girl, even though both of our parents are white 🤷🏼‍♂️ Now what, will she get black fishing accusations?!

One of my brothers could so easily pass as an Arab :lolly:

But my other 2 siblings are as white as snow (I'm in between) :selena:

I guess it's a bit off topic but I find it fascinating how in my immediate family between my parents (both my parents are Portuguese caucasians), my siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles there's such a spectrum in colour

But that's quite typical in Portuguese families since we have european genetics but also some mix of middle East and Mediterranean I believe it was

We also get a lot of random kids born with blond hair and blue eyes out of nowhere since it's a recessive gene that won't show sometimes for many generations but it's there being passed down until 2 parents with that gene have a kid

One of my cousin's has blond hair and my mom's brother blue eyes but no one else in my family has either

22 hours ago, PETTY said:

It’s not about "makeup and fashion" it’s these hair examples above. It’s very clear that she tries to pass off as a POC.  If Ariana and the Kardashians can be dragged on social media for it, she can too. 

Doesn't make sense. If she was a POC she would be a victim from society prejudice. So... why is she blackfishing? She never said she was black. People assumed she was cause her skin color is not marble white. Most southern european are darker. You can see Africa from certain parts of Europe. 

People are acusing her from a problem they created. It's dumb. Unless she is insane.

StuckInMyMind

If somebody wants to try a hairstyle from another culture, what’s wrong with trying to make it more mainstream and tying cultures together? I personally see it as a mark of unity 

Damon

wait

what

in my mind she was black :bradley: but i hardly ever paid that much attention to her so maybe that's why

... and now i just sit in silence.

Franch Toast

I keep reading this title as "blackfisting," and my mind has gone to some interesting places. 

Bet GIF by Soul Train

She/Her/Hers

MonsterMom
2 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

I keep reading this title as "blackfisting," and my mind has gone to some interesting places. 

Bet GIF by Soul Train

Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

Oh Franch, you are a delight :ladyhaha:. I can’t stop laughing 

AyaKara
23 hours ago, GagaSine said:

Also I would just like people to consider the fact that in the US hair styles that are traditionally associated with black people are often banned from schools and workplaces, considered unprofessional and dirty. That’s why it’s a problem. A white woman wears it for fashion while it is literally a part of black history and culture and if a black person showed up to school/work with their natural hair or a traditional style they would be asked to leave.

Until the playing field is levelled it will still be considered controversial.

SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK :firega:

As long as I am not allowed to wear my hair out without being told my hair is messy, while I see non-blacks with unkempt hair that is accepted in the workplace because they're 'eccentric', then I have a problem.

• Glamourpuss locked this topic
Glamourpuss

Locking this because the conversation isn't going anywhere and it's making some members feel uncomfortable. 

Archived