Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Chromatica couldn’t outlast Joanne. Why?

petty

Featured Posts

selenalavigne
1 hour ago, LadyGoo said:

Folkbore was a sad album that appealed to country folks, who don't know how to illegally download music. OF COURSE Folkbore would get more sales.

illegally downloading officially released music isn't a thing anymore especially in the United States. 

what kind of 2009 type of excuse is this:billie:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4yk2eQg0LdV7b3A020Desg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tom Nook

Honestly the pandemic is a perfect and valid excuse, and then for the George Floyd protests to spark across the nation over the weekend it came out caused a huge shift in focus 

Uh Red Wine... Convict... Gah Gah...

14 minutes ago, PETTY said:

Timeless to who? I haven’t played a Joanne track since 2018 my luv :selena:

That sounds like a personal problem 

Signature loading… 👹🖤

4 minutes ago, selenalavigne said:

illegally downloading officially released music isn't a thing anymore especially in the United States. 

what kind of 2009 type of excuse is this:billie:

Okay so clearly you're a Christina Aguilera fan, why are you here :billie:

5 minutes ago, selenalavigne said:

who told you that lie? :bear:

Findings from market research firm MusicWatch’s Annual Music Study show that there were 17 million stream-rippers in the U.S. last year. That number is up 2 million from the 15 million stream-rippers reported in 2017.

For those unacquainted with the term “stream-ripping,” it refers to the type of music piracy where users transform a file from a streaming site like YouTube or Spotify into a downloadable copy.

1 minute ago, Stef said:

That sounds like a personal problem 

If by personal problem you mean someone who isn’t an emotional bumpkin living in the backwoods of Louisiana then yes, it’s a personal problem 

selenalavigne
5 minutes ago, LadyGoo said:

Okay so clearly you're a Christina Aguilera fan, why are you here :billie:

wtffff what did I say that made you think I stan that woman lmaoooo. 

All I was saying is that pirating music isn't common anymore and that isn't an excuse. Especially with an album like Chromatica that is much more palatable to streaming audiences than Folklore and Joanne. tho idk how people brought Folklore into the equation. 

Gaga sold cheap wrinkly thongs and Taylor sold alternate album covers. not really comparable :billie:

God Control

Taylor Swift is more popular with a much wider reach and more relatable music to the general public and she maintained some form of rarity that whatever she makes generated hype. Gaga is simply not that artist anymore. She used to be such shine TFM and BTW, but that’s long behind us. 

Ziggy

Comparing to TSwift isn't totally fair.

1) Chromatica dropped *just* when the pandemic hit and the late-May/June BLM uprisings. So there was a lot more going on that took focus away from her "comeback" which was, let's face it, predicated on club and nightlife being a thing.

2) TSwift dropped Folklore after people were really yearning for some 'contemplative' music. It fit the mood of the moment better. I think if Folklore had happened sans COVID, it would have still been a success but not quite as much since it wouldn't have as much resonance. Chromatica purely just didn't resonate with the moment anymore once COVID and the BLM uprisings hit. Folklore was *that* white gay/girl album to somberly contemplate things.

This ties into why I'd say Chromatica hasn't had as much impact. It's promo, and really the only promo that could work for it, are tied around dancing together and big parties. Those are the two things we absolutely cannot do rn :laughga:  Joanne, meanwhile, had nothing holding back its promo.

Bubblegum Bitch
6 minutes ago, PETTY said:

If by personal problem you mean someone who isn’t an emotional bumpkin living in the backwoods of Louisiana then yes, it’s a personal problem 

Hey, Louisiana woman, Mississippi man... :rockstar:

1 hour ago, Doot said:

Let's be realistic:

Taylor is like fast food. Easy and simple. 

Gaga requires effort and skill. 

What? It takes skill and effort to decipher Taylor's songwriting meanwhile Gagas was like fast-food. Easy and simple. Try again.

Ziggy
50 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

Chromatica isn't cheap at all lmao. It's pretty cool and sleek. What album by a huge established artist has a concept or an album structured in such a way that its divided into sections? Its the only album that I know of in recent times where its designed to be listened from start to finish. 

People only say its cheap because its not their cup of tea. Which is fine, but its certainly not cheap. There are many straight people who love 90s/00s house and dance music, as well as the gays. But its not cheap just because you don't like that type of music.

The same can't be said about the album that is your profile pic. That is the definition of cheap and uncool, and only appealing to the gays. 

The simple fact why Chromatica didn't have longevity is Gaga. She disappeared and didn't promote it. The pandemic was still at a high, and then right when she released, there was huge protests in which the attention was taken off Gaga/Chromatica. Despite this, it hasn't flopped and did amazingly well first week. It was the 4th biggest first week streams ever... so lets not act like it did poorly.

Like @Doot said, Taylor Swift is easy to digest.  Anything she puts out will sell well. Taylor had the advantage of releasing when tensions aren't as high with protests, and the pandemic fears/worries have subsided. She also did a suprise drop, which will increase sales because of how big Taylor is. You can't compare the two projects.

Just throwing this in here, Janelle Monáe has structured literally all of her albums into divided sections. That's been a thing of hers since '07 with her Metropolis EP all the way to Dirty Computer. The idea of suites isn't new lol I'd wager given how much exposure DC got (it really was *the* album of 2018-19 in terms of cultural resonance; it didn't score #1s but as an album it was kind of the big one), we can say that album qualifies as an album by a huge, established artist. Not throwing shade to Gaga whatsoever, no one owns suites or linear albums. I'm just saying it isn't really a new concept in pop music. Heck, Melodrama by Lorde had a bit of this quality as well.

Suspiria
1 hour ago, selenalavigne said:

Joanne is the better album :vegas:

But it neither outsold or outlasted and did significantly worse critically:oprah:

selenalavigne
13 minutes ago, Doot said:

who told you that lie? :bear:

Findings from market research firm MusicWatch’s Annual Music Study show that there were 17 million stream-rippers in the U.S. last year. That number is up 2 million from the 15 million stream-rippers reported in 2017.

For those unacquainted with the term “stream-ripping,” it refers to the type of music piracy where users transform a file from a streaming site like YouTube or Spotify into a downloadable copy.

did you not understand that I meant streaming music that is ALREADY RELEASED. I'm sure millions of people listen and download music from their fav that is unreleased or a target exclusive but it's very uncommon for people to RIP an album once it's out :vegas:

• Admin locked this topic

Archived