💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What Would Happen Had Madonna Releases Black Madonna?

RAMROD

Featured Posts

RAMROD

"I did a photoshoot with Steven Klein for my last album cover, and I painted my face black, except for red lips and white eyes. It was a play on words. Have you ever heard of the Black Madonna? It has layers of meaning and for a minute, I thought it would be a fun title for my record. Then I thought, 'Twenty-five per cent of the world might get this, probably less, it's not worth it.' It happens all the time, because my references are usually off the Richter scale." Madonna credits longtime manager Guy Oseary with talking her out of the original album cover

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/madonna-looks-back-the-rolling-stone-interview-197575/

Bold for sure. But not the right kind.

Would you think Madonna get eaten alive for that controversial blackface picture? Would she now if that one picture ever leaks?

Discuss.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She would've killed her career.

Thank GOD she didn't do that.

Also before you haters come in here.. this photo is photoshopped.

black+madonna+-+klein-by-zelko.jpg

erotic4

I think it would be highly controversial, but she wouldn't be canceled as she would be if the album was released nowadays. I mean... Internet is so much bigger than it was back in 2008/9

https://www.last.fm/pt/user/erotic4

Glamourpuss

I think she would have gotten away with it at the time because she always created controversy and was known for breaking boundaries. But I think it would have come back to bite her in the ass in the last few years because people would be trying to cancel her for it. 

Ryusei

I'm just wondering if she means Hard Candy or COAD. Hard Candy I guess? 

Musery

River

Then I thought, 'Twenty-five per cent of the world might get this, probably less, it's not worth it.'

I mean, she didn't care about the black face but more about "people getting it":yennefer:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Anderson123

After Like A Virgin, Like A Prayer, Erotica and American Life, I'm not sure if that'd have "cancelled" her career, she has taken so many risks. Probably would've gotten backlash and underperform but people would've moved on. It'd have definitely been seen as offensive if it were released today in 2020.

sillynate
4 minutes ago, Glamourpuss said:

I think she would have gotten away with it at the time because she always created controversy and was known for breaking boundaries. But I think it would have come back to bite her in the ass in the last few years because people would be trying to cancel her for it. 

I came here to say this :golfclap:

shoful

I kinda wish we got this but I know she would’ve been destroyed for it nowadays. I think that concept is kinda cool and it was her like “urban black inspired album” plus it couldnt have been worse than the photoshoot we did get :wtfga:

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."

sillynate

Can someone explain why she wanted to call HC the Black Madonna though? :sweat: Because the only reasons I can think of is that she worked mostly with black artists and producers and created an “urban” sound with them 

Well she's used the N word before and she got a lot of backlash for that (rightfully so) so this would've gained even more controversy. Madonna has never been the most sensitive when it comes to racial slurs/cultural appropriation. I love Steven Klein however, but his use of black face to look "edgy" and "high fashion" makes me uncomfortable and I'm surprised he hasn't been called out more for it before.

Archived