Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

"I'm not nothing without a steady hand"

Wet Fire

Featured Posts

Wet Fire

WARNING: Might be long and a reach to some people :poot:

But here's what I think about this line: :awesome:

What does a songwriter do with her hand? She writes. Gaga, in Free Woman, writes about becoming a singer-songwriter. And she needs a steady hand to continue writing her lyrics. The line can be interpreted in multiple ways, of course.

There's a tradition of literature (or art) which links women's creativity with feminine sexuality. A strand of French feminism, led by the likes of the philosopher Helénè Cixous, claims that writing by women is similar to female masturbation. The orgasm, the flow of the fluid, the release - all create a parallel to the act of writing or creating art - a release of the writer's self through art into the text. There's a sense of joy, euphoria in being creative. The text is the what the writer has let out. And it makes her feel enamored by her own self - the exploration of her own body's erotogenecity is like looking into her creativity for the text. :trollga:

And it is different from the sexual joy received from penetration by usually the penis. During masturbation, the woman is not dependent on the man for the orgasm. "I'm still something if I don't got a man" can be read as a way of saying, as a woman, she is freeing herself from the way of art which is dominated by patriarchy or masculinity - she is creating her own feminine art. :fatcat:

I would like to point out how having a steady hand can also be read as having a means to masturbate which is, again, a metaphor of writing :yennefer:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Wet Fire said:

I would like to point out how having a steady hand can also be read as having a means to masturbate which is, again, a metaphor of writing :yennefer:

:wtfga:

Wet Fire
23 minutes ago, Quartz said:

Yasss Dancin' In Circles wbk

sexy chris hemsworth GIF

That gif is from Fallon, right? I think I've seen this episode/segment :messga:

Sherry

The reach... I- :air: 

Love it when you call me legs, in the morning buy me eggs 🥚

Quartz
Just now, Sherry1411 said:

How is this a reach? Can you please explain? OP clearly presented arguments and sources. We'll be waiting :huntyga:

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

Daylight Jokers
30 minutes ago, Quartz said:

Yasss Dancin' In Circles wbk

sexy chris hemsworth GIF

I wish I was those hands. :giveup:

Modern Ecstasy2

I love it 

“Delete this thread that person is not Gaga he is a hot blonde twink”

Modern Ecstasy2
6 minutes ago, Sherry1411 said:

It’s not a ‘reach’, it’s a subjective interpretation of how the person hears the music. That’s the beauty of art.

“Delete this thread that person is not Gaga he is a hot blonde twink”

Wet Fire
9 minutes ago, Sherry1411 said:

Actually the comparing of women's writing with female masturbation is a pretty much established literary idea :party:

joannesrats

Considering the amount of songs Gaga has about masturbating it definitely wouldn’t surprise me! I love how many interpretations her lyrics can have, intentional or otherwise 

Healed My Heart

I personally have interpreted this as Gaga's struggles with alcohol (hands getting shaky without it, which has happened to some friends of mine who were heavy drinkers). This was my interpretation since she said the Rain on Me lyric "I'd rather be dry" has multiple meanings, including being sober from alcohol (during the Zane Lowe interview, I believe). I think this line also probably has many layers.

Edit: Forgot to say I really like your idea about it!

She/her 💗💜💙

JANNNNEEEEEEEE

oooooo anyone remember dancing in circles im blushing knowing the meaning behind that lol lol

Archived