Lighter

Featured Posts

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
venusfly
33 minutes ago, Wet Fire said:

To anyone wondering why Indians might find it wrong:

Imagine a white person using a filter which distorts face according to the accent or speech pattern of a black person.

Accent, speech, like music is intrinsic to race.

If this white guy had used an element of culture which he knows because of his close proximity with it (not something 'exotic' or 'oriental') , it won't have been bad.

This is such a massive reach though. James doesn’t have a clean history on being problematic but trying to find something racist, intentional or even unintentional in this is nothing short of mental gymnastics. We really shouldn’t be going to a point where people of different cultures and races aren’t allowed to talk or joke about each other in a non malicious context b/c all this serves to do is create barriers between cultures which can and will be abused by bad actors. If this was malicious and blatant making fun of Indian people then yeah cancel him but this is so harmless 

Wet Fire
1 minute ago, Aglaya said:

how do you know? cause I've seen a bunch of tiktoks using this filter by very different people :shrug: you can dislike the filter or this trend, but that has nothing to do with it being racist :green: btw I don't think most people even know this is an Indian song, they just use it because they find it funny:sweat:

Yeah. Some Indians have used it too. But see, it is a very complex issue. Indian classical music is not something every Indian knows well since India has been colonized by England. So we are having a postcolonial identity crisis. Today, India is so much influenced by the West that local cultures are heing destroyed. And yes, there are other people who know the classical tradition well and then make fun of it. But that is coming from a base of knowledge. I'm a part of a culture and I make fun if it with knowledge - that's a different issue. But using things from other cultures for laughter is different:  there is a tendency to dismiss marginal cultures because those are not dominant, there is a tendency to choose to not know about other cultures because it doesn't matter because it's not the dominant culture.

Wet Fire
7 minutes ago, LM said:

1. Ok, they might so? 

2. I didn't say someone is telling anyone anything. I just said that I won't tell others how to feel. What's not clicking? 

What I said was basically " be offended, I couldn't care less" yet you're still here trying to argue with me because ur probably bored af

Nevermind.

BarcelosRooster

Well I see it this way, If the filter doesn't have that music then people shouldn't be offended by the filter. If he was the one who put the music then that's more complicated... I could say I'm not offended but i'm not indian so my opinion doesn't mean much :saladga:

Turns out i have another mom and she's italian 🇮🇹

Wet Fire
2 minutes ago, Venusfly said:

This is such a massive reach though. James doesn’t have a clean history on being problematic but trying to find something racist, intentional or even unintentional in this is nothing short of mental gymnastics. We really shouldn’t be going to a point where people of different cultures and races aren’t allowed to talk or joke about each other in a non malicious context b/c all this serves to do is create barriers between cultures which can and will be abused by bad actors. If this was malicious and blatant making fun of Indian people then yeah cancel him but this is so harmless 

No Janes is not malicious. That's not my point. This filter is not going to shake the foundations of Indian culture.

My point is just this: Privileged races are ignorant of other marginal races. And there is a tendency to choose to remain so. There is a tendency to overlook that no matter how little and stupid the matter is, racism is racism.

Aglaya
1 minute ago, Wet Fire said:

Yeah. Some Indians have used it too. But see, it is a very complex issue. Indian classical music is not something every Indian knows well since India has been colonized by England. So we are having a postcolonial identity crisis. Today, India is so much influenced by the West that local cultures are heing destroyed. And yes, there are other people who know the classical tradition well and then make fun of it. But that is coming from a base of knowledge. I'm a part of a culture and I make fun if it with knowledge - that's a different issue. But using things from other cultures for laughter is different:  there is a tendency to dismiss marginal cultures because those are not dominant, there is a tendency to choose to not know about other cultures because it doesn't matter because it's not the dominant culture.

I've not seen one tiktok that uses this filter to make fun of Indian culture. Everyone is using it to create relatable-funny-everyday situations that have nothing to do with Indian culture itself. Again, most people don't even know this is an indian song, they just use this filter because it's funny sounding and that's how Tiktok works. Not even the face filter is trying to imitate "indian expressions" as you claimed before, it just makes your face look like you're in front of a fan :sweat:. 

could mean anything

Mr Mirko

Pardon me if I am extra but this is such bs the tik tok the attitude the filter, we are so retarded. Bye

Wet Fire
2 minutes ago, Aglaya said:

I've not seen one tiktok that uses this filter to make fun of Indian culture. Everyone is using it to create relatable-funny-everyday situations that have nothing to do with Indian culture itself. Again, most people don't even know this is an indian song, they just use this filter because it's funny sounding and that's how Tiktok works. Not even the face filter is trying to imitate "indian expressions" as you claimed before, it just makes your face look like you're in front of a fan :sweat:. 

You're right. But see, what I'm trying to say is a part of the 'fun' no matter how minuscule the part is comes from the sound being alien to the person using this filter. It's not about using Indian culture for fun. I'm just pointing out how the cultural difference is used, maybe unintentionally, to create laughter.

Sherry

Gaga killed Tyrese Gibson in Telephone, A black man, OMG she is so racist. :laughga: I'm so tired of seeing people finding everything racist :saladga:

Love it when you call me legs, in the morning buy me eggs 🥚

Bubblegum Bitch

I wonder if Austrians are offended by this mashup :yennefer:

Spoiler

Seriously, you should stop seeing racism everywhere and victimizing yourself. 

Wet Fire
4 minutes ago, Sherry1411 said:

Gaga killed Tyrese Gibson in Telephone, A black man, OMG she is so racist. :laughga: I'm so tired of seeing people finding everything racist :saladga:

No it's not.

But A LOT of Westerm movies use Arabs as their villains. There's a documentary on it.

ThisGuyTony

Everything is offensive. Everything is racist. People have different perceptions about what fits into those categories.

Unless James thinking was, “I hate Indian culture I’m going to make fun of them with this filter and song” then I don’t think it’s racist. It’s all about intention in the end...

• Jase locked this topic

Archived