Free Woman is for the trans community

MiQuenDroid

Featured Posts

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mirrion Rizzons
6 minutes ago, hoeslay said:

I would like to hear her elaborate cuz it was such a passing statement. 

I think it’s because she herself did not feel free, it was more of a feeling she wanted to have :) 

so until she truly feels free, her thoughts are for trans women when singing the song 

idk I’m not that smart :yennefer:

7 minutes ago, hoeslay said:

I would like to hear her elaborate cuz it was such a passing statement. 

It's meant to empower the community

ShesAMess
2 minutes ago, Mirrion Rizzons said:

I think it’s because she herself did not feel free, it was more of a feeling she wanted to have :)

so until she truly feels free, her thoughts are for trans women when singing the song 

idk I’m not that smart :yennefer:

This is what came to my mind too 

Free my mind, ARTPOP

CautiousLurker

I mean, in that case the song completely misses the mark cuz gurl

I'm not nothing without a steady hand
I'm not nothing unless I know I can
I'm still something if I don't got a man
I'm a free woman

This is not what's plaguing the trans community... someone tell her... It's not like if a trans woman starts dating a man, suddenly all the transphobes are like 'oh, nvm we cool, you can be a woman now, you can have rights' :laughga:

Also, now that I think about it, 'I'm not nothing unless I know I can'? So if you DO know you can, you're nothing or...? Wut? WHAT WAS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN :cryga:

ShesAMess
9 minutes ago, CautiousLurker said:

Also, now that I think about it, 'I'm not nothing unless I know I can'? So if you DO know you can, you're nothing or...? Wut? WHAT WAS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN :cryga:

It’s like ”i’m nothing unless I know i can” but because you are actually still something even if you are unsure of yourself so it becomes ”i’m not nothing unless i know I can”

does this help? :huntyga:

Free my mind, ARTPOP

audrey horne

I guess the lyrics could totally be read in any way but this sounds like an afterthought statement. Still, I'm grateful that she keeps being vocal about transwomxn issues. 

CautiousLurker
1 minute ago, ShesAMess said:

does this help? :huntyga:

Well, it tells me that it's meant to make the rhyme but not make any actual concrete sense because if you break the line down, that's not what it implies - if you don't mind it, good for you, but to me personally it feels lazy... I had the same issue with Stupid Love - the line 'even if we break in two' doesn't actually fit, but they decided to keep it anyway instead of looking for a better lyric...

komronjoel

This makes me so happy, before the album came out, my youngest sibling (who has recently come out as trans) said to me that Free Woman was going to be her song. The lyrics honestly make me cry with joy when I think about her transitioning into the person she was always meant to be

ShesAMess
7 minutes ago, CautiousLurker said:

Well, it tells me that it's meant to make the rhyme but not make any actual concrete sense because if you break the line down, that's not what it implies - if you don't mind it, good for you, but to me personally it feels lazy... I had the same issue with Stupid Love - the line 'even if we break in two' doesn't actually fit, but they decided to keep it anyway instead of looking for a better lyric...

I’m definitely not saying that it’s a great sentence I’m just saying that what I think she means is that she is still something (=not nothing) even if she is not sure if she can

Free my mind, ARTPOP

1 hour ago, adterp said:

I guess the lyrics could totally be read in any way but this sounds like an afterthought statement. Still, I'm grateful that she keeps being vocal about transwomxn issues. 

This. I'm fairly certain she spoke about this song with Zane where she mentioned the trans community but proceeded to say it was about just women specifically, not just transgendered individuals. I think. Pretty sure it was a broader statement. 

Edit: not saying trans women aren't women. I'm struggling to remember the context of what she said originally. Trans women are women. 

derpmonster

That's how I also feel about the song The Queen - "I'm a woman, I insist it's my life."

53 minutes ago, Doot said:

This. I'm fairly certain she spoke about this song with Zane where she mentioned the trans community but proceeded to say it was about women specifically. 

But the trans community includes women... :poot: Trans women are women.

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

Archived