Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

‘Black Is King’ watched by 4% of Disney+ users

ThisGuyTony

Featured Posts

MessyTop
24 minutes ago, Tanner said:

Most of these comments are just racist. If you’re white it’s not even meant for you to serve your opinion on. You look like clowns. Literal clowns. 

Wait a second. I’m a person of color. I said it was great effort but the music was meh. We can still critique the music regardless of the sucesss. Don’t make this about race 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tyler k

Honestly that’s really sad.

it’s a fantastic piece of work that will sadly be ignored by the yt ppl. Who care if it’s not for them? It’s time to educate themselves and be exposed to more black art!!!

mmmy name ~isn't~ aliceee

MessyTop
2 minutes ago, tmo13 said:

it’s a fantastic piece of work that will sadly be ignored by the yt ppl. Who care if it’s not for them? It’s time to educate themselves and be exposed to more black art!!!

Nobody Ignored it. People are watching. I watched it. I said the music was not that good and that’s a valid critique, I applaud her effort. You can’t stop people from critiquing a piece of art

petty

Well based on Disney’s viewers, which is made up of mostly children, this isn’t surprising. I wouldn’t consider this a film that children would enjoy watching or something they’d pick over their favorite cartoons and shows on that app.

Cameltoe Chariot

The last couple of visual projects including Black Is King have been visually stunning but.. they're all exactly the same.

Lots of centre-weighted shots with either Bey or a guest artist posing standing or in a chair with other dancers around them, a vague blending of "African" aesthetics, Bey reading someone else's poetry in a slow, affected tone in voice over, standing formations of people that are revealed as the camera pans overhead...

I'm not saying it isn't beautiful, or that it is void of anything to say, but what I AM saying is that it is a lot of the same same same over half a decade and these ratings from Disney+ are telling me that people are getting bored with her.

I also think no one criticizes her or points this stuff out because the hive will automatically say you're racist for not feeling it lmao... we're so hard on our girl Gags, and she's always trying to do something new or different. She has her flaws just like anyone else but I feel like criticism can help an artist grow and we see that with Gaga.

I get the sense that Bey hears NONE of it.

bionic
37 minutes ago, Red said:

I'm more shocked that Muppets Now is their 3rd most viewed content, above even Star Wars IX

Especially when the episode was total trash (just like Star Wars IX tbf)

buy bionic

MessyTop
2 minutes ago, CameltoeKween said:

The last couple of visual projects including Black Is King have been visually stunning but.. they're all exactly the same.

Lots of centre-weighted shots with either Bey or a guest artist posing standing or in a chair with other dancers around them, a vague blending of "African" aesthetics, Bey reading someone else's poetry in a slow, affected tone in voice over, standing formations of people that are revealed as the camera pans overhead...

I'm not saying it isn't beautiful, or that it is void of anything to say, but what I AM saying is that it is a lot of the same same same over half a decade and these ratings from Disney+ are telling me that people are getting bored with her.

I also think no one criticizes her or points this stuff out because the hive will automatically say you're racist for not feeling it lmao... we're so hard on our girl Gags, and she's always trying to do something new or different. She has her flaws just like anyone else but I feel like criticism can help an artist grow and we see that with Gaga.

I get the sense that Bey hears NONE of it.

Exactly. We truly appreciate what she does. But at some point we want good innovative music from Bey.

Just now, bionic said:

Especially when the episode was total trash (just like Star Wars IX tbf)

I can't vouch for Muppets but ROS had room for improvement. Like, a lot of room for improvement. A room for improvement that could fit us all. :bear: 

OT: Stream Black is King on Disney+ :bon:

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

ToxicHot

Oh wow. It’s almost like Disney+ is intended for Disney movies and other entertainment that’s not primarily focused on long-form music videos..... I’m sure most people don’t pay for a subscription to this service just to listen to music. 

dOnT sAd ReAcT mE 2 bE sHaDy i WiLL RePoRt U!!1!

StrawberryBlond

I thought it said 40% at first and 4% is just a round up, it's actually 3.86%. This is a shocker. 101 Dalmatians charting higher is unthinkable. Beyonce and Disney just don't seem to be meshing. First off, releasing a visual album for this one was a mistake - it was never going to be as big a deal as a Beyonce solo release, so why waste the time, energy and money? And being over a year until it got re-released post-album was a major error. I get it took that long to make but if that were the case, it should've been released with the album, but I guess everyone thought Beyonce would pull in that interest well before the album was even completed. She and her team are that sure of themselves and their pride cometh before a fall. This is yet another flop from Beyonce under the Disney name - Spirit didn't succeed, The Gift didn't succeed, Black Is King didn't succeed. And not only that, The Little Mermaid will be out next year, with Beyonce's protege in the lead role, the role was totally gained via her deal and influence. Factor in how hype has majorly gone downhill for that movie and Disney must be questioning this investment.

Beyonce needs to realise that putting out the same visuals and style of music over and over again will only go so far and appealing too much to one demographic of fans while completely ignoring all her fans as a wider group is making her fortunes fall considerably. She doesn't seem to be taking in the criticism. No one was asking for a duet album with Jay but she gave us it anyway. No one was asking for an original Lion King accompaniment soundtrack but she gave us it anyway. No was asking for a film to accompany every song on that album but she gave us it anyway. She can't be surprised when her numbers continue to fall.

1 hour ago, Brecht said:

The R word comes to mind but we don't wanna get them riled up again :ally:

It's not racist to dislike an album or film when your critique is made up of valid statements. It's unfair that racism can be used as an argument for why people don't like your music when white artists have to have their music judged completely on its own merits. It's only fair to hold Beyonce to the same standards as white artists.

1 hour ago, HoneyB said:

Getting 2 Million PAID viewers is considered a flop now? Ok:rip:

That article doesn't even have the amount of views for Hamilton or no viewership figures or for subscriptions. Also conveniently, the data they all received is “private”:smh:

Also a film dedicated to black culture AND accompanying a soundtrack album that flopped underperforming on Disney Plus? Shocking!:flop:

It is a flop when there's over 60 million subscribers on the service apparently and they haven't subscribed specifically to see Beyonce, they've subscribed for general Disney content. Most streaming companies keep their specific figures private, it's not exclusive to Disney. It's not the fact that it's based around black culture, (although the anonymous nature of what culture it is and the monoethnic take on African culture is certainly part of it) but because it's nothing like what you'd expect when you subscribe to Disney. Disney isn't about political race-based media from singers, it's about animated kids films and superhero movies. Even their animal documentaries didn't gain much fanfare either. Disney was entirely the wrong platform for this project. Netflix would've been far more suitable but she's ins a deal with Disney, so yeah.

1 hour ago, Tanner said:

Most of these comments are just racist. If you’re white it’s not even meant for you to serve your opinion on. You look like clowns. Literal clowns. 

Again, disliking a piece of media of valid reasons doesn't make you racist. You can be white but appreciate black culture. I'm white and have great appreciation for a lot of black emancipation songs but some can be very hit and miss. This album is a definite miss, it's just bland and forgettable. The opinions of whites should not be deemed invalid just because of their race - that's literal racism. Music is for everyone to hear and appreciate and when we don't like what we hear, we have every right to say so.

1 hour ago, SLAG said:

Is it because she’s a woman or is it because she’s a black woman that she needs to be put in her place? Why is she not allowed to be confident and successful? 

Neither - why do people always assume it's being a woman, black or both that we have an issue with her? There's a difference between confidence and arrogance and Beyonce bought into her own hype years ago. And we want her to be successful with music that's good.

1 hour ago, Luv u Sum said:

Kind of saw that coming. The name alone set probably a lot of people off because they probably took “offense” to it cuz they are white.

Those people wouldn't have been interested in the first place, obviously, so it hardly counts. While the name does indeed have its problems, the content is the most important thing. The album its based on sold next to nothing and has been totally forgotten about as nobody liked it. Yet she's now giving us an video for every song off that album over a year later. It doesn't take a genius to work out this wasn't a good move before race was even brought into it.

1 hour ago, tmo13 said:

You make it sound as if it's a piece of historical significance. It just got released. It was based on an album that came out a year ago that nobody asked for or liked. The public already gave their decision on it but she went on to give us a movie about it anyway. Just because an album is from a black person doesn't mean it's automatically good or worthy of attention. Some of the best material by black artists is being paid dust because their names aren't big enough.

58 minutes ago, MessyTop said:

Nobody Ignored it. People are watching. I watched it. I said the music was not that good and that’s a valid critique, I applaud her effort. You can’t stop people from critiquing a piece of art

I agree but I'd just like to say that you were all too keen to stop me from critiquing a piece of art recently. Just remember that the same standards apply regardless of your personal thoughts on an album.

Cameltoe Chariot
7 minutes ago, ToxicHot said:

Oh wow. It’s almost like Disney+ is intended for Disney movies and other entertainment that’s not primarily focused on long-form music videos..... I’m sure most people don’t pay for a subscription to this service just to listen to music. 

...Yeeeah but problem with that argument is Disney+ has a similar install base to Netflix, AND offers a free 7 day trial. It's an extremely accessible platform, and trying to pivot the blame to it being for kids entertainment doesn't really work. If people wanted to watch it, they would've... but they didn't.

Hades
1 hour ago, SLAG said:

Is it because she’s a woman or is it because she’s a black woman that she needs to be put in her place? Why is she not allowed to be confident and successful? 

I have been using her music up until Lemonade. What's your problem if i don't like her music anymore?

Midnight Summer

Um, y'all sure about that? Because Black is King is currently at #1 in the United States. Whoops:billie:

Source: https://whatsondisneyplus.com/whats-trending-on-disney-black-is-king/

1. Black Is King (NEW)

2. The Simpsons (1)

3. Moana (5)

4. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (3)

5. Frozen 2 (4)

6. Incredibles 2 (NEW)

7. Hamilton (2)

8. Muppets Now (NEW)

9. Jessie (6)

10. Frozen (7)

11. Toy Story 4 (8)