💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively apologize for wedding in a slave plantation

Featured Posts

Ryan Reynolds says he and his wife, Blake Lively, still feel sorry about holding their 2012 wedding on a former plantation in South Carolina.

The topic came up during the "Deadpool" star's recent interview with Fast Company.

The publication noted that Reynolds was criticized as hypocritical in 2018 after he tweeted his support of the blockbuster film "Black Panther," which has been hailed for its Black cast and representation in the superhero movie genre.

Reynolds told Fast Company that having their wedding at Boone Hall, a former plantation in South Carolina, is "something we'll always be deeply and unreservedly sorry for."

"It's impossible to reconcile," he said. "What we saw at the time was a wedding venue on Pinterest. What we saw after was a place built upon devastating tragedy."

Making such a mistake, he said, can "cause you to shut down or it can re-frame things and move you into action."

Taking action is exactly what the couple has done.

In June they donated $200,000 to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund (LDF) following a reported pair of $1 million donations he and Lively made last year to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund and the Young Center for Immigrant Children's Rights.

According to Fast Company, Reynolds is reluctant to talk about their social justice support "in part because he worries that white celebrities too often drown out non-white voices, even if that's not their intention."

"Representation and diversity need to be completely immersive," Reynolds said. "Like, it needs to be embedded at the root of storytelling, and that's in both marketing and Hollywood. When you add perspective and insight that isn't your own, you grow. And you grow your company, too."

source: CNN

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regina George

Nice of them but this kinda feels random and like they are just trying to join the movement in a totally random way. Idk. Feels like another white celebrity doing the most. 

Chromatography
Just now, Regina George said:

Nice of them but this kinda feels random and like they are just trying to join the movement in a totally random way. Idk. Feels like another white celebrity doing the most. 

i get these vibes but also perhaps they’re worried people will dig this up and try to cancel them over it

Daylight Jokers
1 minute ago, Regina George said:

It kinda feels like them trying to save their asses before stan twitter cancels them. 

Regina George
1 minute ago, Chromatography said:

i get these vibes but also perhaps they’re worried people will dig this up and try to cancel them over it

1 minute ago, Daylight Jokers said:

It kinda feels like them trying to save their asses before stan twitter cancels them. 

Yes! Exactly the feeling I got. Like they are clearly just randomly mentioning this just to sound “woke” or whatever and it feels dishonest and like they are trying to save their ass. 

ShayCristoforo

As a black person, I think this apology is acceptable. It seems like they are cool people who are genuinely sorry.

So I'll take that, instead of instantly cancelling someone. People make mistakes.
We need all the help we can get, ultimately, if we want systemic change and success.  

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

LaLa

It's good that they aren't being defensive when asked about it and just straight up acknowledge it was wrong. And they've donated a lot of money, which, short of a time-machine, is as good an apology as any I guess.  

COOOK
32 minutes ago, Chromatography said:

32 minutes ago, Daylight Jokers said:

29 minutes ago, Regina George said:

Yes! Exactly the feeling I got. Like they are clearly just randomly mentioning this just to sound “woke” or whatever and it feels dishonest and like they are trying to save their ass. 

I get where you all are coming from, Ryan Reynolds was called out for hypocrisy after praising Black Panther back in 2018:

However this apology feels genuine, and it seems like they're making an effort to grow and putting their money where their mouth is

Modern Ecstasy2

It seems like they are aware now, and are being honest in their acknowledgement and are happy to keep learning and growing as people. That’s important.

“Delete this thread that person is not Gaga he is a hot blonde twink”

StarstruckIllusion
55 minutes ago, ShayCristoforo said:

As a black person, I think this apology is acceptable. It seems like they are cool people who are genuinely sorry.

So I'll take that, instead of instantly cancelling someone. People make mistakes.
We need all the help we can get, ultimately, if we want systemic change and success.  

A message that doesn’t click with liberals bc it’s more about looking good instead of actually making a difference ❤️

Seriously people get cancelled over this nowadays? Jeez, u can’t do anything anymore then

Wanna go to the Colesseum? Nope can’t

Wanna do something cool at the Akropolis? bye

Better not watch the Fifa world cup in Qatar than, stadium built on slavery too, but guess that won't count once everyone is cheering for their nation.

Oh and also toss your iPhone in the trash can while ur at it and burn ur Ivy Park clothing.

huttont

It’s not my place to accept their apology as a white man, but they do seem like very nice people and advocate for the right thing. Lively is very outspoken and works to end sex trafficking.

Archived