Was Chromatica what you were expecting?

Doot

Featured Posts

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SHALLOW
6 minutes ago, Infinity Wave said:

On thread, I was expecting something way bolder than what we got.

Chromatica is so good for me, but at times it doesn't even sound like a Gaga album if you compare it to the bold and affermative sounds of ARTPOP or BTW... 

She really gave up her midas touch to let BloodPop handle the album if you ask me, and what we got are 12 songs most of which have half a chorus and than a partly dated house dance break.

From Gaga, I honeslty xpect more. Like, com'on, Enigma, Replay, FW had SO much potential given that they're so great songs already as they are. Imagine them with a proper Gaga instrumental. 

Couldn’t agree more.

Ladle Ghoulash
18 hours ago, NFRockwell said:

Basically I expected this (Still pop but experimental enough to get your attention, and video game inspired)

Instead we got a safe album with dated house breaks :bear: Which is fine since she’s never given us that sound. 

This is easily the best Haus Labs remix I’ve heard. God, what a serve.

Ladle Ghoulash
18 minutes ago, Infinity Wave said:

On thread, I was expecting something way bolder than what we got.

Chromatica is so good for me, but at times it doesn't even sound like a Gaga album if you compare it to the bold and affermative sounds of ARTPOP or BTW... 

She really gave up her midas touch to let BloodPop handle the album if you ask me, and what we got are 12 songs most of which have half a chorus and than a partly dated house dance break.

From Gaga, I honeslty xpect more. Like, com'on, Enigma, Replay, FW had SO much potential given that they're so great songs already as they are. Imagine them with a proper Gaga instrumental. 

Tbh I think the Replay instrumental is perfect. What don’t you like about it? 

Putang Ina Mo

First, I was expecting some heavy EDM/electronic/experimental music or something similar to ARTPOP (the album), Swine, and Sophie's tracks. 

But during the pre-release promos, I expected some 90s to early 00s music similar to Kylie Minogue's On A Night Like This or Milky's Just The Way You Are.

my username says it all 🇵🇭

HausOfAntonio
19 hours ago, SHALLOW said:

It's funny how i've been dragged for months for saying it was not as great as i expected and now everyone's saying the same. CLOWNS. :whitney:

Thats because had it been promoted and more successful people would still be on the bandwagon :ohwell:

SHALLOW
6 minutes ago, HausOfAntonio said:

Thats because had it been promoted and more successful people would still be on the bandwagon :ohwell:

I don’t want people to bash Gaga or the album but let’s not be unrealistic. Chromatica is a good album but it has its flaws.

HausOfAntonio
1 hour ago, SHALLOW said:

I don’t want people to bash Gaga or the album but let’s not be unrealistic. Chromatica is a good album but it has its flaws.

Girl... we know how monsters are. The minute something is a hit they treat it like its quality gold. Chromatica is her most critically acclaimed album to this day. I don’t think not being more over the top or experimental is a flaw when what she delivered is great as is :shrug: When it came out and it was on everyone’s lips everyone was going crazy about how amazing it was. 

I thought LG6 was gonna be some sort of ASIB meets Born This Way pop-rockish type of album and Crazy Gaga would only come back in LG7+ 

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

it definitely wasn't what I was expecting, but I also don't really know what I was expecting. I didn't really have a firm idea of what I thought the album might look like, but based off the producers we knew about beforehand (especially SOPHIE), I for sure didn't think the album would be safe.

And that's very much what Chromatica is, I would argue it's her least audacious release to date – and that was the most shocking thing about the album for me was how utterly un-shocking it is. Which isn't a knock on the album, I love it and it has some of my favorite Gaga songs ever.

But she basically left pop music in the second half of her career post-ARTPOP (I think it was the Pitchfork review for Stupid Love that said, "Lady Gaga has remained one of the world's biggest popstars without actually making much pop"). After the genre hopping of C2C-Joanne-ASIB, I wasn't expecting this album to be so risk-free. I don't think she even cusses on the album.

So it's a really good enjoyable dance record, and I love it for what it is. But I thought that her return to pop would be more pulse-quickening and dangerous. I was expecting a Born This Way-esque album in scale and ballsiness, but Chromatica is more like if TF and ASIB had a baby. It has sounds of TF cleansed of any innuendo, controversy, or daring.

Which is unfortunate, because I think the streaming landscape actually offers a ton of opportunity for Gaga to thrive. She's always been an artist that pushed the envelope, and the grip that radio had on the charts always limited her. Some of her greatest hits that got away (ScheiĂźe, DWUW, Sexxx Dreams) would thrive in an era where swearing and sex are no longer prohibitive of chart success., and where songs are rewarded for their uniqueness and daring, rather than how broadly they can appeal.

Instead, she released an album that would've KILLED during 2013 radio. I wonder if the trauma of ARTPOP cowed her into releasing something that was guaranteed to be well-received at the expense of experimentation. Hoping LG7 brings her back to bombast.

Archived