Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Erykah Badu: appreciation thread

Davian

Featured Posts

Davian

:heart: Appreciation thread: Erykah Badu AKA The Queen of Neo-Soul :heart:

D11-CCD7-A-9-A41-430-F-8-EE4-D49-E24510-

I'm planning on making a little series of appreciation threads for music legends I recently discovered that deserve more recognition on this forum. You won't see well known queens who get the love and praise they deserve, but rather overlooked music legends/icons that are rarely mentioned on here.

As starter I wanted to shine some light on someone I instantly fell in love with: Erykah Badu. RnB/Soul is way to overlooked on GGD in the first place so it only felt right to me to start with one of my favourites:diane:

ABOUT ERYKAH BADU

Erykah Badu is an American RnB/Soul sing- and songwriter born in 1971. She is well known for her unique voice and sound. Her debut album Baduizm (1997) was a massive success and was the start of a legendary and critically acclaimed career. Together with artists like D'Angelo, Maxwell and Lauryn Hill she had a huge impact on the neo-soul revolution and brought the genre, that is a unique mix between RnB and Soul, back into the mainstream. This earned her the title go The Queen of Neo-Soul. She and her flawless discography an inspiration to lots of modern RnB artists.:heart:

ALBUMS

Spoiler

Baduizm (1997)

71XsuGkjMwL._SL1400_.jpg

Mama's Gun (2000)

Erykah-Badu-Mamas-Gun-album-cover-820.jp

Worldwide Underground (2003)

R-214916-1437272036-7059.jpeg.jpg

New Amerykah, Pt. 1 (4th World War) [2008]

74742.jpg

New Amerykah, Pt. 2: Return of the Ankh (2010)

Erykah-Badu-New-Amerykah-Part-2-Return-O

But You Caint Use My Phone (Mixtape) [2015]

541e5a18.png

BONUS

Erykah Badu: Live (1997)

71ciRrrR1FL._SL1400_.jpg

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

I discovered Erykah this year and she slowly becoming one of my all time favorite artists!:flutter: I just can't get enough of her music. Everything from her voice to the music itself. Her discography is just so unique and she is truly one of a kind. It's impossible for me to pick out standouts from her discography yet because I'm still taking everything in and enjoying her albums are a full body of work. However if I were to rank her albums it would be like this:

1. New Amerykah, Pt. 2: Return of the Ankh
2. Baduizm
3. Mama's Gun
4. Worldwide Underground
5. New Amerykah, Pt. 1 (4th World War)
6. But You Caint Use My Phone (Mixtape)

They are all amazing and my only complaint with her discography is how short it is! Hope she releases soon because it has been way too long without a full length album:giveup:

ESSENTIALS

Wanna get into Erykah Badu? I'd suggest listening to Baduizm and Mama's Gun for sure:firega: Definitely a great first experience with her music. These songs are definitely essentials for people who are new to her music:

Spoiler

Are you familiar with Erykah Badu's music? Do you love her just as much as I do and what are your favourite albums? Lemme know below and let's start a discussion and give this iconic woman the attention she deserves!:flutter:

What you want Lady Gaga🥂 What you want with Christina🥂

Davian

This recent performance is a really fun watch too!:flutter: Still serving vocals and looks:firega:

Davian
3 minutes ago, Matt Amor said:

:heart:

Speaking of a classic phew:giveup:

YourWhiskyMouth

This is a must listen and staple in neo-soul with vocals provided by Badu.

Davian
22 hours ago, YourWhiskyMouth said:

This is a must listen and staple in neo-soul with vocals provided by Badu.

Yes!! I discovered this one later since it’s not on one of her albums, but it’s so good!:bradley: Most of her features are great in general. I love her collab with Janelle Monáe!

Davian
21 hours ago, Greanskye said:

:saira:

Ugh yes great song:firega: The album was a grower for me, but I love it so much now

Davian
21 hours ago, GagaSine said:

Yesss an incredible artist, love her!

Yesss! What is your favorite album or song by her?:flutter:

sillynate

Brb gonna listen to her first album :vegas: btw I like the names she has going on with New Amerykah Pts 1 & 2

Davian
On 8/10/2020 at 1:56 PM, sillynate said:

Brb gonna listen to her first album :vegas: btw I like the names she has going on with New Amerykah Pts 1 & 2

Was it your first time or did you listen to it before?:lolly:

sillynate
15 hours ago, Davian said:

Was it your first time or did you listen to it before?:lolly:

First time :giveup:

Killa

I loved on and on, it passed often on vh1. 

But when i saw the concert for story tellers or mtv unplugged etc, in circa 98

I was blown away. Like her groove lyrics. 

Archived