💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Little Monsters: We Can Do Better

Donny Winter

Featured Posts

Donny Winter

Am I the only one who thinks Little Monsters have grown cold and a bit harsh toward Gaga over the years? I am a part of a lot of fandoms (Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift, Evanescence among many others) and I've observed how they've treated their artist over the years. It pains me to say this but those fandoms treat their artists far differently than we treat Gaga. I'll use Taylor Swift as the latest example. While most of her fans love folklore, the ones who aren't a fan of it aren't saying "she's over" because she isn't producing the music she used to produce. When she goes through stints of social media absence, they aren't questioning her integrity or her love for her fans. Yet, when we look at Little Monsters, unjustified criticism seems extremely rampant. 

Look, I get it: it's frustrating. We want Gaga to flourish - we want her to keep releasing singles, promoting the album; we want to hear something from her etc. The truth is, when this pandemic started, we knew this wouldn't be a normal album cycle. I see people criticizing her inaction (and commenting on Chromatica flopping) ignoring that the album (and Rain on Me) have scored #1 and ignoring that she's accumulated the most VMAs out of any artist this year (tied with Ariana). 

I know this topic will probably upset a lot of people, but I want you to set aside your anger long enough to ask yourself: what can we do to better support the artist we love without resorting to posturing, unhealthy criticism, and claims of failure? 

Thoughts? 

A hybrid can withstand these things / my heart can beat with bricks and strings

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Borislshere

I feel like monsters are used to Gaga constantly raising the bar and being the standard but that hasn't happened in a while. IMO at least :ph34r:

Donny Winter
Just now, Borislshere said:

I feel like monsters are used to Gaga constantly raising the bar and being the standard but that hasn't happened in a while. IMO at least :ph34r:

That is a good point. I feel like with the success of this album though, the bar has been raised again. Not many artists can say they are still a trending influence in music after 12 years of being in the lime light.

A hybrid can withstand these things / my heart can beat with bricks and strings

Enzo

There's nothing we can do when she's not doing anything lol

툭 까보면 어김없이 소리질러와

AlexanderMagno

Gaga's work is simply not as good.

That's why this whole "we can do better" is flawed.

To be honest, Gaga has the commercial success. So why are fans still complaining? Because her work is so subpar to what it should be expected from one of the most creative pop stars out there.

Chromatica has great dance tracks, catchy music. But the innovation is not there anymore. Or the artistic drive. Even the whole concept is ARTPOP in a nutshell.

Taking Taylor Swift's example: despite what fans think about her new project, they are not claiming "she's over" because she has objectively delivered a really good album, and once again has delivered something that enriches her discography immensely. It's not even about the commercial success.

I mean, even Katy Perry is objectively more faithful to her work: Witness flopped almost from the beginning, and yet she released all the singles she could. Did it matter it had no commercial success? Even "Smile" is basically a rehash of her same old generic sound, even after years of commercial failure. And yet she keeps on going... Gaga completely changed her sound after ARTPOP failed to reach expectations. She keeps changing promotion plans.

In September, Gaga will be the face of Valentino's perfume. Not even two weeks ago, people were discussing how Gaga hated selling perfumes.

This whole "little monsters should support Gaga more" speech is continuously brought up since ARTPOP. I disagree that fans should support an artist whatever she does, no matter the quality.

Kimblue

They definitely are the most catty, shallow, and nasty fan bases that I’ve seen.

Babel

I’m only concerned that 5 years ago she was scared of turning into a money making machine and told everybody how that affected her mental health and now she has basically turned into one?

I don’t mean to be rude, but between Haus Labs, the incredibly expensive watches and the new perfume she’s about to promote... it looks sketchy. Do people change their values that radically over money?

numb the flame

We can be kinder towards her and her team. There is a way of saying things if you don't like something. I find people just give out criticism but it's never constructive. They usually say "I hate this, it's trash" but could say "I like this but I would change XYZ" In regards to what we can do to better support Gaga, there's only so much merch we can buy and only so much we can stream her music. 

CantGetEnough

Honestly, the artists I hardcore stan...I'm generally super grateful for anything they give me? When they deliver a conceptual era, album, and music videos I'm more than happy. Little Monsters are just never satisfied with Gaga? I mean, even the things Little Monsters look back on fondly, they probably were complaining about in the moment. I mean, your fave dropped a killer music video, cool, merch, #1 single, and #1 album all with the dance music Little Monsters wanted and...somehow she's failed you all. It's exhausting from the outside looking in, I honestly can't imagine how exhausting it is for her. 

Guest WhoDoWeHaveHere

Honestly. If this isn't the place to share your disappointment where else would it be. No one is calling Gaga directly and telling her to do better. This is a place for fans to share their emotions. From good to bad. I personally don't mind the silence. But I understand people who are frustrated. Imagine your mother standing in the kitchen for 2 years, constantly teasing she's preparing a feast and when the moment finally arrives it's just soup. :cryga: there may be more courses ahead but we don't know because we've eaten the soup and now we all sit in awkward silence around the table and mother doesn't say anything. Should we go and grab some Burger King? who knows :huntyga:

I think it's hard to compare different fanbases because the artist personality themselves are so different. They give different things to their fans and they draw different types of people to them.

Gaga has done performance art in a way that Taylor/Billie hasn't done so they wouldn't expect that kind of thing. Gaga also has an edge to her, and I feel like her fans have that same edge a lot of times. We also tend to be kind of dramatic too idk why.

I do wish we could be kinder as a whole and to Gaga I agree there. But I actually disagree with how everyone always says the whole fanbase is horrible and nasty. I think it's a vocal minority 

heygurlhi

It's been like this since TFM and thats why she is done with us we just wallets at this point :vegas:

Ignore me i drink

Suuus

Thank you im so annoyed with fans turning every thread about other artists into a gaga complain thread and yes you are allowed to espress your dissapointment but you dont have to do it in every artist related thread 

Karen Smith

And I think it's damn unfair that you judge the whole fanbase. We are not one organism, everyone is responsible for themselves and everyone has an opinion. I've been on GGD for a few months now and I've found out so many times that I'm immature, demanding that I'm not a real fan just because I belong to this fandom. Because if someone here criticizes the fandom, it is all at once.

Some people seem to live through her accomplishments and accolades, and it’s just ****ing creepy. Some need to get a life tbh :bon:

Barbie Career Doll 2020 Edition

Archived