Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga might win the VMA Vanguard Award

Bradley

Featured Posts

Bradley

They have been giving out this award consecutively ever since 2011, I don't see them stopping this year. They're also broadcasting from 'various iconic locations across New York City throughout all five boroughs to "honor the spirit and resilience of New York". Clearly, they are not airing a performance-less ceremony.

Who's more New York than Gaga? She wrote songs about New York (Marry the Night, Black Jesus, The Fame). She has stage layouts inspired by New York (The Monster Ball, Roseland). She made music videos about New York (Marry the Night). She thinks of it very fondly, she MADE IT in New York, she paid homage to the Madison Square Garden and Roseland venue in her concerts. New York is more her home than LA, one would even say. She goes batshit crazy with her outfits when she's in New York.

maxresdefault.jpg

If that wasn't enough, she's the most nominated artist this year period. She's also the most likely to win the major categories including Video of the Year, considering how rich her history with the VMA is. Collabing with Ariana doesn't hurt either, since she's also a VMA favourite. This year's VMAs is basically held for Gaga,

10 years after she shocked the world with a dress made of raw meat, made VMA history by getting nominated 13 times (the most of VMA history), including TWO Video of the Year nominations for Telephone and Bad Romance, winning 8 ultimately, again the most of VMA history I believe. It's the tenth anniversary of Gaga's videography and legacy as an artist that has stayed for one whole decade and will continue to do so for more.

01-Lady-Gaga-Ariana-Grande-Rain-On-Me-sc

A setlist incorporating her biggest hits closing with Rain on Me joined by Ariana Grande would be PERFECT. I mean if she indeed wins VOTY like how many are saying she will, how can you let the winner of VOTY not perform? Also if Gaga is not the recipient this year, then who?

Taylor Swift? She just released an indie album, I'm not sure if she would be willing to ditch her indie persona and put on back her pop star cape so quickly. It would clash with Folklore's imagery and aesthetic pretty quickly. Besides, she has but a few nominations, she's quite overshadowed by Gaga and Ariana this year.

Katy Perry? First of all, she's pregnant and she makes dance music. Also the commercial performance of Daisies and Smile don't really help either.

I don't see them awarding Ariana Grande before Lady Gaga, considering how people see Gaga to be Ariana's sister-mentor. Also Rain on Me is more Gaga's song than Ariana. It's part of Chromatica.

As for male artists, I can see Eminem and The Weeknd deserving it. However, both Eminem and The Weeknd are kinda like supporting acts this year at the VMAs, rather than the dominating artists. The Weeknd also debuted later than Gaga, he's younger.

Unless they pick another overdue legend ala Missy Elliott, Jennifer Lopez, I think Gaga is the obvious choice here.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CHROMATICON

I would love to believe that the reason of her tremendous silence is because she's indeed getting ready to restart the era with a 15 min performance to receive her vanguard. Let's hope that's the case, but it's Gaga so we shouldn't expect that, it would be TOO perfect and we know Gaga loves a bit of self sabotage from time to time. :neyde:

Sherry

I think we all want her to win :poot:

hair flip GIF by Victoria Justice

Love it when you call me legs, in the morning buy me eggs 🥚

Justin Drew Bieber

I would love it! She more than deserves it! I mean: Poker Face, Paparazzi, Bad Romance, Telephone, Alejandro, Born This Way, Judas, Marry The Night, G.U.Y., John Wayne, and Rain On Me. :giveup:

Bradley
Just now, L E O said:

I thought Drake (of all people) was the one to got it this year?

It isn't announced yet

Let me preface this by saying I don't think that in 2020, the VMAs are in any way shape or form relevant as much as some users online like to pretend but...

As a general response if pondering this as a fun Game, I'd wager to say that it would be nice if she showed up and did a perform with Ariana. It would be promo. We'd finally get the first live performance of a song off the album. But I don't think that they are automatically give her the awards if she hasn't already agreed to show up prior to them making a decision. 

I can see them spinning it in a variety of ways for maximum controversy/publicity:

-Gaga shows, performs, sweeps. Monsters go wild. Hype dies relatively fast as it does around here. 

-Gaga shows, performs but gets snubbed majority of the time. Twitter and fanbases light on fire. 

Vanguard? Only if she's agreed to go. Then I think she'd 100% get it. 

Born in Chromatica

If Lady Gaga doesn't win, I mean....

mad camera out of face GIF by The Maury Show

FaShIoN iS mY pAsSiOn!

danbekim

Marry The Night deserves the Vanguard Award ALONE. I don't get it how Gaga has never won it yet. 

If you have some rad remixes you made laying around, send it to me!!

boyerased

Vanguards and VOTY are sometimes a matter of if you’re attending or not. If she is doing a big performance, she’ll get those two. 

1 minute ago, danbekim said:

Marry The Night deserves the Vanguard Award ALONE. I don't get it how Gaga has never won it yet. 

everyone on here usually say that there are rumors or something that she's turned it down before 

danbekim
Just now, Doot said:

everyone on here usually say that there are rumors or something that she's turned it down before 

I mean I kind of get it if she turns it down when they want to give it to her in a year when she hasn't put out a new album or she isn't in an era, but this year would be perfect.

If you have some rad remixes you made laying around, send it to me!!

Archived