⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

Follow us on TikTok
Sign in to follow this  
science

Why some icebergs are emerald green - study

FfFfFfFF

rs21342-aad.jpg?w=1600&h=900

Seen in stunning pictures from either of Earth’s Poles, icebergs are most often white-blue objects. But like an artist willing to experiment with whatever resources are available, nature is also capable of creating startlingly green icebergs, and they can be found only in Antarctica.

Although the scientific literature is full of reports of these emerald ice blocks going back more than a century, no one could adequately explain where they were coming from. Now, a team of researchers may have finally cracked the case.

rs53630-aad.jpg?w=1190&h=740

According to their work, the unusual hue seems to be a combination of two distinct processes. First, bubble-free icebergs need to form at the bases of ice shelves jutting out into the Southern Ocean. At the same time, ground-up yellow-red glacial dust from Antarctica’s bedrock has to be brought along for the ride.

“It’s pretty much Antarctica’s version of mixing blue and yellow paint together to get green,” says James Lea, a glaciologist at the University of Liverpool who was not involved with the work.

dscn2209.jpg?w=1190&h=1587

dscn1604.jpg?w=710&h=947

_mg_9226-2.jpg?w=1190&h=794

Full article: https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/science-innovation/2019/03/icebergs-can-be-emerald-green-now-we-know-why

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 10

Economy

That's beautiful :heart:

• Like 1

dynamite

I didn't know any of them were this colour. Nice :enigma:

Love it when you give me shade in the morning call me neyde
  • Like 1

audrey horne
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said: