Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

MEGARATE || Medúlla - Björk

alsemanche

Featured Posts

alsemanche

Welcome to the Megarate of Medúlla by Björk!

I am going to be doing a series of Björk Megarates over the upcoming few weeks. The plan is to go over the albums in chronological order for as long as people are interested in participating.

Previously, we rated Vespertine. This week, we will be going over Medúlla.

*****

medula-megarate.jpg

Medúlla (2004) is the fifth studio album by Björk. This album shows a great departure from her previous albums and a deeper venture into experimental music. It is primarily constructed of a cappella songs that rely greatly on human voices. Björk, pregnant at the time of production, wanted to go back to the primordial human nature devoid of tools, religions, and nationalities, a concept reflected in the title which means “marrow”. The result was a mix of beatboxing, sampled human voices, throat singing, with a light touch of instrumentation on some tracks. Electronic touches were also added to the album.
Medúlla received positive reviews from critics despite its unusual composition. It peaked at #9 in the UK, and at #1 in France. In the US, Medúlla debuted at #14 on the Billboard 200, her highest debut.

Tracklist:

1.      Pleasure Is All Mine             
2.     Show Me Forgiveness
3.     Where Is The Line
4.     Vökuró
5.     Öll Birtan
6.     Who Is It
7.     Submarine
8.    Desired Constellation
9.    Oceania
10.  Sonnets / Unrealities XI
11.  Ancestors
12.  Mouth’s Cradle
13.  Miðvikudags
14.  Triumph Of A Heart

*****

Submit your rates here: https://forms.gle/SfEiwSFT7ceVEnbAA

We will be rating all the songs on the standard edition of the album. No bonus tracks are included in this Megarate.  Links for the album are posted below.

Links:

Rules:

1-      Rate each song from 1 to 10
2-      You may give one 11
3-      You may give one 0
4-      Decimals are allowed and encouraged (HIGHER THAN 1 AND LOWER THAN 1, e.g. no 0.5 or 10.2)
5-      Comments will not be on the form, but please do comment on the thread when each song is announced (I will make sure to leave a short interval between each song for everyone to get a chance to discuss and reply)
6-      Do NOT troll
7-      Have fun!

Twist!

In the ranking form, you will notice that the last question is a required prediction of the Top 3. Here is the twist: every voter will predict the Top 3 tracks and whoever gets it right first will get to give two 11s instead of one on the next Megarate. If no one gets it right, I will try to find the person with the closest prediction (correct songs but different order, most correct songs, etc.) and declare them as winner! 

For this Megarate, @The Idler Wheel will get to give 11 to two songs instead of one song! If they decide not to vote, a runner up will be announced.

Deadlines:

Spoiler

Send in your scores by August 29th (subject to change)

The ceremony will take place on August 30th @ 19:00 (7PM) GMT (subject to change)

Participants:

Taglist (people who might be interested + voted in previous Megarates):

Soft, soothing, and succulent

alsemanche

Sorry for the rushed rates, but I want to finish them before mid-September because uni starts next month and I won't have time to do them then.

alsemanche
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

This is the cleanest topic I've ever seen on Gagadaily, everything is put perfectly :happy:

omg that's such a nice compliment :kiss: I try i try

pop ate my heart

I can't wait for this one :flutter:

am i-e-i-e-i-e-i-e-i-e-i-p-plastic

littlepotter

I cant wait for ****** and ****** to be BANNED from this one :woohoo:

Also finally one with no bonus tracks, chile i will eeenjoooy

chaeri pls

tyler k

I LOVE this album.

I have such fond memories of listening to this one on replay (lol) my freshman year of high school when dove deep into Bjork. Fantastic album. 

can't wait to see the ranking

mmmy name ~isn't~ aliceee

alsemanche
2 hours ago, littlepotter said:

I cant wait for ****** and ****** to be BANNED from this one :woohoo:

:air::air::air::air::air:

2 hours ago, tmo13 said:

I LOVE this album.

I have such fond memories of listening to this one on replay (lol) my freshman year of high school when dove deep into Bjork. Fantastic album. 

can't wait to see the ranking

This is lovely! I will tag you in the post if you want to submit your own scores :party:

Crazy that this is the first album I ever discovered by her, I think around the time of the Olympics in Athens where she did THAT opening performance.

I'd never heard music like this, I only really knew of the "Its Oh So Quiet" Bjork, my musical taste and my life in general were never the same! and then to go retrospectively through her career, discovering all of her magic.

Some people might find it difficult to listen to, but its so pure and primal and full of emotions.

Definitely check out the documentary of the making of Medulla too, if you can!

alsemanche
20 hours ago, Mars said:

I LOVE this documentary!

alsemanche

Hey everyone. This megarate is definitely not happening this weekend anymore. As you probably heard, Lebanon has been hit by a huge explosion. I have no energy to think about this (obviously), and I'm focusing on helping people affected by the explosion. Please do submit your votes and everything, I'll do the ceremony later when possible. 

And while we're here, here's a link with a list of organizations and initiatives you can donate to if you want to help with relief aids. Thank you. 

https://manylink.co/@linksforlebanon 

@EtherealDreams @KevinWright @OBO @culturalbaptism @OG Gaga Stan@ororo munroe @ShtoopidLahv @TerrenceV2 @Chromatography @tomsches @DavidLuis198 @pop ate my heart @GaGaLB @The Idler Wheel @Mars @rumours @erotic4 @littlepotter @StefanS @lg5 @joannester @auburn @FfFfFfFF @ChavaWM @Loeppke @HausOfAntonio @Trillion Reasons @L0NEL1GHTS @GGVS @Davian @Babel @Hyperballad @Emerald @ARTPOPsexual @tmo13 @Musicisfreedom @Philo @monster @JRCF29 @HorusRa2 @Ryusei @JJSS @MisterGaga @Blue Madonna @Ployd @ElectricDevotion @Pennywise @Miichael @Ziggy @Yukia @Yxilon @Samma123

• 2 weeks later...
alsemanche

Hey everyone! 

I think it's time to bring this back :party:

You'll have until August 29th to rank the songs, and the ceremony will take place on August 30th!

I know it's been a mess, but everything has been so chaotic around here. 

For those who already sent in their scores, you can submit again and I'll remove your first submission. This allows to reconsider your first scoring or to remember your scores since you probably forgot them by now. Or, if anyone wants me to show them their own scores please let me know! 

I hope y'all are still interested in this  :selena: 

L0NEL1GHTS

I’ve been working on mine I promise lol - some of the songs on the second half of the album I’m having trouble scoring 

Archived