⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

💌 fan envelope 💌
Sign in to follow this  
society

Jamaica High Court Rules Schools Can Ban Dreadlocks

RAMROD

Jamaica's high court ruled Friday that a school was within its rights to demand that a girl cut her dreadlocks to attend classes, a surprise decision that touched on issues of identity and one the most recognizable symbols of the island's Rastafarian culture.

The ruling by the Supreme Court of Jamaica capped a two-year battle after the girl — then 5 years old — was told she must cut her dreadlocks for "hygiene" reasons to study at Kensington Primary School in a Kingston suburb.

A rights group, Jamaicans for Justice, had initially lent support to the family, saying the order for the girl to cut her dreadlocks amounted a denial of her freedom of expression and her access to education.

Others viewed the court battle as a stand against rules seen as discrimination against people who wear "natural" hair, including Rastafarians whose dreadlocks are part of their religious tradition.

The girl and her parents, Dale and Sherine Virgo, who both wear dreadlocks, plan to appeal, said their lawyer, Isat Buchanan.

Full article at Source:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/jamaica-dreadlocks-school-student/2020/07/31/2cf6db4c-cf4e-11ea-8c55-61e7fa5e82ab_story.html#click=https://t.co/cj96KvCcvG

How ironic. 

Edited by RAMROD
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ ROCKSTAR ♥ YEAH ♥ Dirty ♥ Dirty ♥ Dirty ♥
  • LMAO 1
  • Shook 4
  • Sad 10

Quartz
6 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

How ironic. 

I'm sorry, I don't understand. How is this ironic?

Also, doesn't this just mean that the burden to allow or disallow this hairstyle falls on the schools? Like, the rest of the world?

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊
  • Like 1

RAMROD
5 minutes ago, Quartz said:

giphy.webp

15 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

- Jamaica

- One the most recognizable symbols of the island's Rastafarian culture.

- Rastafarians whose dreadlocks are part of their religious tradition.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ ROCKSTAR ♥ YEAH ♥ Dirty ♥ Dirty ♥ Dirty ♥
  • Thanks 2

HEARTSTOP
8 minutes ago, Quartz said:

Also, doesn't this just mean that the burden to allow or disallow this hairstyle falls on the schools? Like, the rest of the world?

Hmm excuse me? At least here in Portugal (and I believe most of Europe) it goes against a citizen's rights to disallow people in schools based on their natural traits. Even clothes aren't prohibited for the most part, unless it's the school's policy to wear a uniform which only really happens in some private schools here.

"Human stupidity knows no bounds." - Some Old Crazy Guy, Probably

Quartz
19 minutes ago, HEARTSTOP said:

Hmm excuse me? At least here in Portugal (and I believe most of Europe) it goes against a citizen's rights to disallow people in schools based on their natural traits. Even clothes aren't prohibited for the most part, unless it's the school's policy to wear a uniform which only really happens in some private schools here.

So it's allowed for you guys to have any hairdo? Huh, we don't have that in the Philippines. A uniform here is from the hair to the shoes. Not mush wiggle room.

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

SLAG
3 minutes ago, Quartz said:

So it's allowed for you guys to have any hairdo? Huh, we don't have that in the Philippines. A uniform here is from the hair to the shoes. Not mush wiggle room.

Same here. We have a dress code and grooming standards. They’re early strict when it comes to clothing for example: Your shoes has to be completely black for your regular uniform or white for physical education class. If you’re wearing a Nike shoe and the logo is in a different color you’ll either have to sit on a bench and color in the logo with a black/white sharpie or be sent home until you correct it. With hairstyles they’re lenient with things like dreadlocks but it has to be kept tidy. 

OP: I feel that dreadlocks is a part of their culture and I think as long as it’s kept tidy it shouldn’t be a problem. You’re not learning with your hair ffs.

• Like 1

Economy

I'm surprised. Dreadlocks are a big thing in Jamaican culture :huh:

Also hygiene? Wth? Who ever said dreadlocks have to be dirty?

Also who cares how she does her hair :toofunny:

EuphoricVibez
19 minutes ago, Economy said:

I guess some people think those hairdos are distracting when personally, as long as it's kept clean, who cares what style it's in? :selena:

Rain on me, tsunami ⛈️
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RenegAde

Everyone is shook???

In my high school they was a required hairstyle for girls and if you didn't comply you'll get penalised , sometime you'll get the hair cut off

Edited by RenegAde
  • Like 1

HEARTSTOP
7 hours ago, Quartz said:

yes, any hairstyle

"Human stupidity knows no bounds." - Some Old Crazy Guy, Probably

Chromatography
6 hours ago, Economy said:

i think people have the misconception that dreadlocks aren’t washed 

TimisaMonster

That's like a signature look for most of them is it not? :billie:

SissyFromSpace
12 hours ago, Knife said:

That is...the last place I'd expect for this to happen.

literally  

Barbie elitist - Weaboo - Sissy