⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

Follow us on TikTok
Sign in to follow this  
tech

Teens From Florida, and UK Arrested For Major Twitter Hack In July

RAMROD

Early on July 31st, the FBI, IRS, US Secret Service, and Florida law enforcement placed 17-year-old Graham Clark of Tampa, Florida, under arrest. He’s accused of being the “mastermind” behind the biggest security and privacy breach in Twitter’s history, one that took over the accounts of President Barack Obama, Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Kanye West, Apple, and more to perpetrate a huge bitcoin scam on July 15th.

Apparently, he wasn’t alone: shortly after the Tampa arrest was revealed and after we published this story, two more individuals were formally charged by the US Department of Justice: 22-year-old Nima Fazeli in Orlando and 19-year-old Mason Sheppard in the UK. They go by the hacker aliases “Rolex” and “Chaewon,” respectively, according to the DOJ. The FBI says that two individuals in total are in custody. An unidentified minor in California also admitted to federal agents that they’d helped Chaewon sell access to Twitter accounts.

But according to an affidavit released late Friday, authorities have probable cause to believe Clark, the Tampa teen, was the one who got access to Twitter’s internal tools and directly carried out the scam. Specifically, he allegedly convinced a Twitter employee that he worked in the Twitter IT department and tricked that employee into giving him the credentials.

Clark is currently in jail and being charged with over 30 felony counts, including organized fraud, communications fraud, identity theft, and hacking, Hillsborough State Attorney Andrew Warren said in a news conference describing the arrest. Local NBC affiliate WFLA alerted us to that news.

Initially, it wasn’t clear whether the 17-year-old was the only suspect in the case. “I can’t comment on whether he worked alone,” said Warren, the Florida prosecutor. He was arrested at his apartment where he lives by himself, authorities stated.

He’s being charged as an adult — “This was not an ordinary 17-year old,” said the state attorney — and the press conference made clear that law enforcement is considering how bad consequences of the hack could have been, beyond the $100,000-plus in bitcoin that the teen is alleged to have scammed out of unsuspecting Twitter users.

“This could have had a massive, massive amount of money stolen from people, it could have destabilized financial markets within America and across the globe; because he had access to powerful politicians’ Twitter accounts, he could have undermined politics as well as international diplomacy,” said Warren.

“This is not a game... these are serious crimes with serious consequences, and if you think you can rip people off online and get away with it, you’ll be in for a rude awakening, a rude awakening that comes in the form of a 6 AM knock on your door from federal agents,” he added later.

Fazeli is facing five years in prison and a $250,000 fine for one count of computer intrusion. Sheppard is being charged with computer intrusion, wire fraud conspiracy, and money laundering conspiracy, the most serious of which comes with a 20-year sentence and a $250,000 fine in the US.

Full article at Source:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/31/21349920/twitter-hack-arrest-florida-teen-fbi-irs-secret-service

He got the brains but using it wrongly to harm people. Now there goes their future. Just too bad.

giphy.gif

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ Do(n't) ♥ Send ♥ N00ds ♥
  • YAAAS 2

CHROMATICON

At 17 I was crying in my room cuz I couldn't solve a simple math problem and they out here hacking all of Twitter at global scale. What am I doing wrong? :neyde:

• LMAO 4

RAMROD
3 minutes ago, CHROMATICON said:

At 17 I was crying in my room cuz I couldn't solve a simple math problem and they out here hacking all of Twitter at global scale. What am I doing wrong? :neyde:

Nothing. Otherwise you'd be rotting in jail rn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ Do(n't) ♥ Send ♥ N00ds ♥

blankpaper

He could have had a great future working in data security or something, too bad he wasted it 

there cannot be a hundred people in a room
  • Like 1

Curunir
19 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

He’s being charged as an adult — “This was not an ordinary 17-year old,” said the state attorney — and the press conference made clear that law enforcement is considering how bad consequences of the hack could have been, beyond the $100,000-plus in bitcoin that the teen is alleged to have scammed out of unsuspecting Twitter users.

He's being charged as an adult? How is that even legal? :huh:

I'm not defending him, but charging an underage person as an adult just because "he's not an ordinary 17-year-old" seems wrong.

Doot

A 17 year old can do this but y'all can't find Frankensteined? :triggered:

ᴡᴀꜱ ɪᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴏᴏɢᴇʏᴍᴀɴ?
  • LMAO 4