⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

💌 fan envelope 💌
Sign in to follow this  
society

Native American tribe regains ancestral lands

FfFfFfFF

3600.jpg?width=605&quality=45&auto=forma

Two-hundred and fifty years after they were stripped of their ancestral homeland, the Esselen tribe of northern California is landless no more.

This week, the Esselen tribe finalized the purchase of a 1,200-acre ranch near Big Sur, along California’s north central coast, as part of a $4.5m acquisition that involved the state and an Oregon-based environmental group.

The deal will conserve old-growth redwoods and endangered wildlife such as the California condor and red-legged frog, as well as protect the Little Sur River, an important spawning stream for the imperiled steelhead trout.

3000.jpg?width=605&quality=45&auto=forma

Tribal leaders say they’ll use the land for educational and cultural purposes, building a sweat lodge and traditional village in view of Pico Blanco peak, the center of the tribe’s origin story.

“We’re the original stewards of the land. Now we’re returned,” Tom Little Bear Nason, chairman of the Esselen tribe of Monterey county, told the Santa Cruz Sentinel.

“We are going to conserve it and pass it on to our children and grandchildren and beyond.”

S: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/28/northern-california-esselen-tribe-regains-land-250-years

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • YAAAS 6
  • Love 20

shoful

At least there’s some good happening this year :)

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Andreu

What they deserve :yay: so happy for them

before there was love there was silence
  • Like 1

KanyeWest
6 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

This week, the Esselen tribe finalized the purchase of a 1,200-acre ranch near Big Sur, along California’s north central coast, as part of a $4.5m acquisition that involved the state and an Oregon-based environmental group.

This is like someone stealing your clothes and asking the thief if you can buy it back.

Native Americans have a very rich culture that is so overlooked by tourists, I don't know about americans but I wish they were promoted more and treated with more respect, it is their country and their land that they lived in for centuries and beyond. I'm very happy about this news 

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

MonsterPaws
39 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

This is like someone stealing your clothes and asking the thief if you can buy it back.

Native Americans have a very rich culture that is so overlooked by tourists, I don't know about americans but I wish they were promoted more and treated with more respect, it is their country and their land that they lived in for centuries and beyond. I'm very happy about this news 

I study in America and 100% agreed. Pretty much zero representation in daily life. Maybe if I lived here all my life I would have noticed.

But the fact that as a "tourist" I see nothing besides traces of native culture is horrible. The closest thing is things like Mexican food (which is more mesoamerican anyway) or cornbread but that barely scratches the surface of all the different tribes and cultures of the natives.

Really sad too since where I study has nearby native lands and rich history too.

Edited by MonsterPaws
  • Like 1

KanyeWest
6 minutes ago, MonsterPaws said:

I study in America and 100% agreed. Pretty much zero representation in daily life. Maybe if I lived here all my life I would have noticed.

But the fact that as a "tourist" I see nothing besides traces of native culture is horrible. The closest thing is things like Mexican food (which is more mesoamerican anyway) or cornbread but that barely scratches the surface of all the different tribes and cultures of the natives.

Really sad too since where I study has nearby native lands and rich history too.

I wish it was promoted more and celebrated. They seem to have different tribes too with different stories around them. I would love to go to a restaurant and taste native americans dishes for example. I also like the fact they really care about preserving nature... I guess u have to do ur own research and do ur own tour when u visit the US to find their history but it's not morally right to not elevate them and promote them. They are the americans, so I'm interested in them

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone
  • Like 2

NFRockwell
8 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

I wish it was promoted more and celebrated. They seem to have different tribes too with different stories around them. I would love to go to a restaurant and taste native americans dishes for example. I also like the fact they really care about preserving nature... I guess u have to do ur own research and do ur own tour when u visit the US to find their history but it's not morally right to not elevate them and promote them. They are the americans, so I'm interested in them

You definitely have to do some digging yourself but I’ve been to a lot of great Native American museums/hands on experiences here in the US. Back when I lived in Florida there was one about an hour away and it was super interesting. And there was this really cool place in Colorado with relocated structures and tours and a huge gift shop with local native products. I almost went out to Oklahoma earlier this year to go to few more popular museums but then covid came around :fatcat:

• Like 1

Gagadonna
1 hour ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Disgusting that they had to pay to regain something that was originally theirs. 

I will never understand why nobody ever talks about what America (the founders) did to the Native. 

• Like 1

NFRockwell
3 minutes ago, Gagadonna said:

Disgusting that they had to pay to regain something that was originally theirs. 

I will never understand why nobody ever talks about what America (the founders) did to the Native. 

It’s sadly how the world worked back then. :fatcat: no one really cared about the feelings of people who lived in specific places as long as it meant expanding their territories. Even before European colonists came native tribes battled for land like every other group across the world, the Esselen (the tribe that just bough the land) actually covered a much larger area before another tribe (Ohlone) kicked them out. 

Gagadonna
4 minutes ago, NFRockwell said:

It’s sadly how the world worked back then. :fatcat: no one really cared about the feelings of people who lived in specific places as long as it meant expanding their territories. Even before European colonists came native tribes battled for land like every other group across the world, the Esselen (the tribe that just bough the land) actually covered a much larger area before another tribe (Ohlone) kicked them out. 

That's so sad. Something similar happened with Belgium when they invaded Congo. Until recently, nobody talked about it, but now, more and more young people want the government to publicly apologise for what happened back then. 

Even if that happened long long ago, I think our modern countries should try to fix the mistakes our ancestors made. Apologising is a good start. In Belgium, some people want the statues of historical figures to be removed from public places and museums. They think showcasing those statues is legitimating what those people did in the past. 

Honesty, I'm starting to become more and more ashamed of mankind. 

Edited by Gagadonna