opinion

LotR movies aged like milk

River

Featured Posts

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
elijahfan

You're the one that aged like milk :awkney: These movies look better than 90% of the stuff that comes out these days.

7 hours ago, Trillion Reasons said:

Many people like this movie because this is another thing from their childhood. 

There's this, but also the fact they're really great ****ing movies. I believe they're some of the greatest films ever made.

GagaSine
7 hours ago, River said:

I mean, you can't tell me that this scene didn't age bad:

I mean I still love the movies, it's just some scenes looks very bad now

This scene always looked weird/bad to me so I guess I’m just used to it. Maybe it’s just nostalgia goggles but I think the movies still look wonderful, especially all the practical effects and I love Elijah Wood’s acting even though I find him cringey in almost everything else.

GagaSine

To me The Hobbit movies are utter garbage compared to LOTR and look terrible! I do think they went a bit too excessive with the CGI scenes in the latter two movies of the LOTR trilogy but they still look better and are more watchable to me than most modern movies that are like 90% cgi.

JustTea
1 hour ago, Killa said:

Sis its how its shot that doesnt help with not best acting. 

Its not the text...like, i love tolkien are you kiddin... 

But the film had many scenes, many characters. Great part the actor has no idea of the overall context. And the director needs to have a clear mind of how to make the scene work. 

Some scenes dont work. Thats it... Its a big film, like big big. But a movie is a movie at its core. 

:saladga:

WTH? "Some scenes dont work" like what? All the movies are flawless, what kind of an expert are you to judge scenery? :dom:

Btw. Did you watch it in english or dubbed? Have you read the book? Because you should know that elves have abilities to see extremely far and foresight, that's why they speak so "weirdly" sometimes and it perfectly fits the lore. But maybe those who can't empathize well with another world with extremely old beings can't really enjoy these films so much. :madge:

elijahfan
6 hours ago, AnalDelGay said:

I like movies without that much CGI cuz they feel more realistic 

Exactly. I wish they still relied more on miniatures and real effects today - back in the late 90s/00s, CGI was so expensive it was only used to enhance real elements, and I truly feel like it was the visual golden age of blockbusters. Now most movies look absolutely fake and nobody is amazed at anything anymore.

GagaSine
1 minute ago, elijahfan said:

Exactly. I wish they still relied more on miniatures and real effects today - back in the late 90s/00s, CGI was so expensive it was only used to enhance real elements, and I truly feel like it was the visual golden age of blockbusters. Now most movies look absolutely fake and nobody is amazed at anything anymore.

Yess I am obsessed with practical effects and miniatures, incredible stuff

elijahfan
2 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

To me The Hobbit movies are utter garbage compared to LOTR and look terrible! I do think they went a bit too excessive with the CGI scenes in the latter two movies of the LOTR trilogy but they still look better and are more watchable to me than most modern movies that are like 90% cgi.

As much as I love Sir Peter's work, I have to agree... and I'm pretty sure he'd agree too. He didn't really get to prepare those movies the way he wanted, and he's been open about how the studio interfered constantly and basically pushed for a LOTR 2.0 (if you watch the making of the Battle of the Five Armies, PJ looks absolutely miserable and it's pretty obvious he isn't proud of them). The 1st Hobbit movie is basically a remake of Fellowship of the Rings: it follows an almost identical story arc, in the same or very similar locations (Shire - Rivendell - journey under the Misty Mountains), I actually wrote an essay about this very subject when I was studying filmmaking at uni a few years ago. To me the biggest mistakes were doing 3 movies out of a single book, the CGI overdose and the constant throwbacks to past material.

And yeah, I wish studios understood that shooting a movie mostly against a green screen isn't the way to go... But I guess that it's easier today to make everything in post than building actual sets. I don't think visual effects have improved much since King Kong in 2005, to me it was the visual peak of the digital age, and it only went downhill from there.

M i K E Y
22 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

Yes. I like to dive in into movies and that’s not possible with overwhelming CGI. It might look good but that’s it. It’s too unrealistic to get into it.

GagaSine
10 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

As much as I love Sir Peter's work, I have to agree... and I'm pretty sure he'd agree too. He didn't really get to prepare those movies the way he wanted, and he's been open about how the studio interfered constantly and basically pushed for a LOTR 2.0 (if you watch the making of the Battle of the Five Armies, PJ looks absolutely miserable and it's pretty obvious he isn't proud of them). The 1st Hobbit movie is basically a remake of Fellowship of the Rings: it follows an almost identical story arc, in the same or very similar locations (Shire - Rivendell - journey under the Misty Mountains), I actually wrote an essay about this very subject when I was studying filmmaking at uni a few years ago. To me the biggest mistakes were doing 3 movies out of a single book, the CGI overdose and the constant throwbacks to past material.

And yeah, I wish studios understood that shooting a movie mostly against a green screen isn't the way to go... But I guess that it's easier today to make everything in post than building actual sets. I don't think visual effects have improved much since King Kong in 2005, to me it was the visual peak of the digital age, and it only went downhill from there.

Yes the original plan they had with having a Hobbit movie and then a second film kind of bridging be gap between The Hobbit and LOTR, with Guillermo Del Toro directing sounded incredible to me. Sadly it was not to be... I really feel production studios really hold the film industry back. 

thatfoxyfeeling

Gurl what? You sure you're not talking about The Hobbit trilogy? :billie:

JustTea
7 hours ago, River said:

I mean, you can't tell me that this scene didn't age bad:

I mean I still love the movies, it's just some scenes looks very bad now

This is one of my favourite scenes and you link it with 240p quality, wth... :dom:

Netflix has terrible sounds compared to BluRay. But either way, you can feel the raw power and corruption in Galadriel's speech. And the way she transforms and later turns darker is amazing imo. :giveup:

8 hours ago, Oranjella Marquise said:

Revisited the trilogy earlier this year for my film class.. felt a bit discomforting when I realized there was not one single person of color in any of the 3 movies..

Also I'm glad that they didn't force add poc to the main cast because the books don't mention them either. There are these dark skin orcs and pirates though. :haroon: And there are many powerful women in the series, but not in the main roles... Galadriel being one of the most powerful beings in the whole Middle-Earth is something to look up to. And women don't really fight in a war IRL either. :duck: That being said, nobody would have the nerve today to make such an iconic films when all these controversies exist.

elijahfan
34 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

Yes the original plan they had with having a Hobbit movie and then a second film kind of bridging be gap between The Hobbit and LOTR, with Guillermo Del Toro directing sounded incredible to me. Sadly it was not to be... I really feel production studios really hold the film industry back. 

Right, and it's only getting worse and worse... Film has always been a balance between art and commerce, but I feel like the industry has reached a really critical point these past few years. It's been made particularly obvious when compared to television, that used to be the more mediocre medium but is serving more and more quality content.

Fanta

The only issue I had with the films when I rewatched them was the lack of female characters, mainly because I adored Arwen and I love me a good strong female character. However, I guess it couldn’t be helped based on the books.

Besides that, the movies are impeccable and the lore/world/history and acting is superb and unmatched. The cringiest character would be Legolas, if I had to pick a weak point, because of the overacting, but besides that they were great. The Hobbit movies were terrible with the overproduction and overuse of CGI. Didn’t have the same spark and raw feel as the original LOTR films. 

Archived