music news

Spotify CEO: 3-4 year album gaps flop

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
buzzkill

Remember back in 2018 when capitol CEO said the same thing? :triggered: it was related to katy’s commercial performance disappointment but now its a common thing, and standalone single will became even more regular thing...

HeavyMetalLover

They should probably just be more generous with their royalties payouts:

https://qz.com/1507361/mariah-careys-record-breaking-day-shows-how-little-musicians-make-from-spotify/

Spotify pays whoever holds the rights to a song anywhere from $0.006 to $0.0084 per play. The rights “holder” can then split these earning between the record label, producers, artists, and songwriters, which means splitting pennies between many parties.

Assuming the popular song is paid at the highest price of .0084 cents per stream for 11 million listens, the rights holder or holders will earn $92,400 before splitting the earnings.

i don't remember ARTPOP

pdaines
11 minutes ago, Economy said:

I was thinking her too but was any of her album spaces 3 year or more? I can't remember :huh:

Three year gap before Reputation. 

GaGaAst
12 minutes ago, Economy said:

I was thinking her too but was any of her album spaces 3 year or more? I can't remember :huh:

1989 to reputation was 3 years. But ya she always released every 2 years or even less (nowadays)

Love it when you call me legs In the morning, buy me eggs

CHROMATICON
28 minutes ago, Lighter said:

So this didn’t happen to Gaga because she constantly released every two years but I can say it did happen to Katy

To be honest Gaga didn't flop because she had ASIB. Still, Chromatica has mid success since not even 5 songs made it into the Hot 100 and the album keeps falling. I do believe if Gaga releases more often she could start doing pretty well actually, she did TFM in like 9 months and Joanne in 6, so I'm sure she can deliver a good ass piece of work in even less time. Taylor did folklore in 3 months, so I think Gaga could too tbh + I'm pretty sure she's really inspired rn about thw state of the world right now, so I predict LG7 will be pretty political. 

HeavyMetalLover
12 minutes ago, Alvaro Moreno Ullrich said:

So +5 years gaps is the right way

You cracked the code. :vegas:

i don't remember ARTPOP

Jose P

I don’t understand those who want an album like every year from the artists they stan. It just turns into fast food music. I’d rather wait 3-4 years for a well made, fully conceptualized, well rounded body of work, over a collection of songs every year made solely to be commercially successful. I know many artists make great albums in little time like Taylor, but that’s because she wanted to make that album not because she felt obliged to make it to remain successful. But once artists feel the need to keep on churning out music it just loses its quality.

blackpink
6 hours ago, alsemanche said:

Just say you want artists to release more often so that people stream more often and you make more money and GO

!!!!!!!

PartySick
24 minutes ago, Jose P said:

I’d rather wait 3-4 years for a well made, fully conceptualized, well rounded body of work, over a collection of songs every year made solely to be commercially successful.

:applause:

Plus bigger gaps leave room for other projects. The ARTPOP era started in 2013, overlapped with Cheek to Cheek in 2014, she went on tour with Tony Bennett, in 2015 she broke on to the acting scene with AHS, made TIHTY and promoted the film, did the awards tour, and still delivered the masterpiece Joanne only a short three years after ARTPOP.

The Joanne era overlapped (a bit) with her landing the role in ASIB and solidified her as an actress for real. She hit a peak comparable to her debut with that project. The soundtrack smashed too. And a short two years after ASIB (or four years after Joanne), she drops Chromatica. An album full of bangers and quintessential Gaga magic.

To hell with anyone who tries to put her in a box with the likes of Taylor Swift or Katy Perry :nails: I hope Gaga continues to do what she's always done - remain interesting.

Edit:

Gaga already releases a ton of content actually :toofunny: I just realized in 12 years she's put out more albums than Michael Jackson did in almost 40 :toofunny:

What is anyone complaining about tbh :toofunny:

🖤

KingRedd
6 hours ago, Babel said:

He basically said that he wants to turn artists into money making machines

No i think it’s more along the lines of an artist should be an artist. Creating music shouldn’t take 4 years and it’s sort of rude to fans to have to wait that long unless there is inescapable circumstances. Most artists want to be a musician for a few months then when their album dies down they wanna act, make makeup, do business ventures, etc. No shade to Gaga at! She gave us enigma amd the cure and a movie soundtrack. But Rihanna has no excuse. Lorde has no excuse, even Adele to me takes forever. Lol 

May I Read You? 😎

Versace

Tbh I'm gonna take the middle ground on this, for an active artist it's a bit much to keep fans waiting more than 3 years for an album but if there's a valid reason then that's respectable. 

Jose P
1 hour ago, KingRedd said:

No i think it’s more along the lines of an artist should be an artist. Creating music shouldn’t take 4 years and it’s sort of rude to fans to have to wait that long unless there is inescapable circumstances. Most artists want to be a musician for a few months then when their album dies down they wanna act, make makeup, do business ventures, etc. No shade to Gaga at! She gave us enigma amd the cure and a movie soundtrack. But Rihanna has no excuse. Lorde has no excuse, even Adele to me takes forever. Lol 

Lorde makes incredible music, and she takes her time to make music she’s proud of and is sure her fans will love. Her fans know she delivers quality and quality takes time. She doesn’t owe them a music release every two years and they know that. Artists don’t need to put out music just to please her fans, they need to put out music that they’re satisfied with as well themselves, as they are the artists. It’s like a painter making a portrait he wants to turn out perfect and someone being at his side screaming at him to hurry up.

alsemanche
1 hour ago, KingRedd said:

Um who are we to decide how long music takes to make and when artists have to release music? No one needs to rush their process just to please their fans. Making music isn't just adding notes and sounds together, there's a whole creative process that goes behind it and that needs time in most cases. Not to mention that things are often made and remade and then there's 500  other things to worry about like album cover and copyrights and promo and all that. Artists should release when THEY feel like releasing, not when the CEO of a company that only cares about profit wants them to release. Imagine if artists like Lorde or Björk who put so much work into their final product rush their releases just to please whoever is listening to their albums. We'd have half-assed albums. I'd rather wait years than get a mediocre album. 

Of course we'll complain about the wait and feel like it's been forever, but in the end of the day it's their decision and their art, not ours. 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

Archived