Spotify CEO: 3-4 year album gaps flop

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LilyLark
34 minutes ago, Kimihiro said:

Funny, how the industry works now is somehow similar to the 60s/70s. Less emphasis with the album and more about continuous hit songs. The Beatles and David Bowie used to release an album almost per year, with quality.

His statements reflect how consumers consume music. An album era barely lasts a year now. Even Taylor Swift succeeded Lover quickly. In the rap world it’s getting more common and I won’t be shocked if it reaches to pop girls soon, I mean it’s starting. 

True. The difference is the streaming giants are incredibly exploitative—even more than record companies back in the day. The biggest stars don't have to worry about money, but they are still arguably getting ripped off....and everyone else is truly hurt. Carl Newman from the New ****ographers tweeted that he earned less than a $1 for royalties one quarter from Pandora or Spotify. And while they may not be famous, they certainly are established enough in the indie scene and their music has been used in TV shows and commercials.

Lighter

So this didn’t happen to Gaga because she constantly released every two years but I can say it did happen to Katy

Economy

No sh*t lol the GP moves on fast

Unless ur Rihanna or Adele. Garanteed they gonna slay when they release tbh

GaGaAst
1 minute ago, Economy said:

+1 Taylor

Love it when you call me legs In the morning, buy me eggs

Lighter
9 minutes ago, Economy said:

Yea I don’t know why people are mad pretty sure 2 years is enough to prepare a good 10 track album

this is both a good and bad thing.

good: because hopefully this encourages tons of my fav artists to release more often

bad: because a lot of artists will feel obliged to write or have ppl write art for them when they dont have inspiration or something to write about. I mean every human goes through periods of just experiencing super boring years in their lives and so what would you write about? not everyone can write about experiences that did not happen to them first hand like Taylor masterfully did on Folklore...it will make a lot of artists just hire writing camps to write for them to guarantee they churn out albums every year or two even when they are not inspired themselves.

Chromatography

thank god maybe this will break the long standing habit of long breaks between albums

9 minutes ago, BLACKPINK said:

@ProjectJoanne act fast.

Don’t worry I’m acting as fast as I can behind the scenes while still being the most artistic and productive I can! :firega:

Economy
10 minutes ago, GaGaAst said:

+1 Taylor

I was thinking her too but was any of her album spaces 3 year or more? I can't remember :huh:

that's why i keep writing and don't release sh-t

when i decide to do so, my work is already done :vegas:

ice heard one side from above

Archived