đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

19/20 artists in top 20 of Billboard 200 are male (the female is Gaga)

Bradley

Featured Posts

Bradley

Look, I don't like to make everything a feminist topic because it annoys some demographics but I have always been very baffled by how disproportionate the gender distribution of artists is across the American music charts.

How in the world does the top 20 of Billboard 200 contain 19 male artists, and only ONE female? And that female so very happens to be our fav, Lady Gaga (URGH her power in a climate like this! I cannot be more proud.)

But going back to the topic, if you look across the rest of the charts, you will see that the number of male artists charting outweighs female artists significantly, why is that?

Why is it so hard for women (except for Lady Gaga :billie:) to chart in America? Is women's contribution to music less valued than their male counterparts by American consumers? Do you hope the musical climate was more different? Thoughts? 

https://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200/2020-07-18

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bradley

On a side note, I am so impressed by the fact that Gaga is still thriving so hard (without any promotion) in the current musical climate. Even Dua is suffering from a somewhat decline and I cannot see Katy charting that well with Smile. She honestly is the sole female representation of good music in 2020. :selena:

The Z

I think that globally, women are taken more seriously when it comes to their artistry, which is normal since men tend to stick with a "tame image". 

That being said, when it comes to the hits, women struggle a lot and I don't understand why. The GP somehow acts like it's not cool to listen to women's songs

andreas85

Charts actually have nothing to do with music really. They are nothing but popularity contests, that's it. I just ignore them. Rappers are popular nowadays and since most of the rappers are male that's also why they are dominating the charts.

Teletubby

I only heard 2 albums from top 20 :billie: and 50% of these 2 is female artist

I had a hole in the pocket of my favourite coat And my love for @Juanlittlem dropped into the lining

SevenWonder

Straight men who like female pop stars feel that's too "gay". So that cuts half the audience. Meanwhile both genders listen to male pop stars. It used to not be like that. I'm shocked that in 2020 we've seem to regressed in that respect. 

NFRatwell
3 minutes ago, SevenWonder said:

Straight men who like female pop stars feel that's too "gay". So that cuts half the audience. Meanwhile both genders listen to male pop stars. It used to not be like that. I'm shocked that in 2020 we've seem to regressed in that respect. 

I see everyone throw this assumption around but is there actual proof to this? Most of my straight male friends listen to female artists, and there’s tons of male critics online who aren’t afraid to say they like female artists. Is that just a stereotype we pull up as an excuse? 

SevenWonder
2 minutes ago, NFRockwell said:

I see everyone throw this assumption around but is there actual proof to this? Most of my straight male friends listen to female artists, and there’s tons of male critics online who aren’t afraid to say they like female artists. Is that just a stereotype we pull up as an excuse? 

I guess we have different straight friends. None of my straight friends will admit it of course. They're all cool guys. But if given the chance? They'd listen to JT, Kanye, etc. way before Gaga, Bey or RiRi. 

ShesAMess

I remember reading this article where it stated that in a group of 5 million spotify users male users listen to almost 95 percent just male artists compared to female users who listen way more diversely

so a little help from the straight males wouldn’t hurt  :huntyga:

Free my mind, ARTPOP

Bradley
15 minutes ago, KEVIN STEVE said:

I think that globally, women are taken more seriously when it comes to their artistry, which is normal since men tend to stick with a "tame image". 

That being said, when it comes to the hits, women struggle a lot and I don't understand why. The GP somehow acts like it's not cool to listen to women's songs

I think there is an idea of 'hipness' 'coolness' that is associated with male artists that women do not have.

Think about the times when straight male listeners consider women's music as 'guilty pleasures' 'something they listen to when the homies aren't there'.

RudraCNG

It' always "unfair" when it comes to women in music industry. People who listen to women use to be women or gay, and that reduces their audience. A lot of straight males still think that listening music from women = gay.

Bradley
15 minutes ago, andreas85 said:

Charts actually have nothing to do with music really. They are nothing but popularity contests, that's it. I just ignore them. Rappers are popular nowadays and since most of the rappers are male that's also why they are dominating the charts.

Charts are determined by human consumers, which do possess a general collective trend/preference. Popularity is the reflection of that.

Bradley
5 minutes ago, NFRockwell said:

I dk about your friends but critics tend to review albums/artists that are not discovered by mainstream markets. It's their job to do so and they put an extra effort in listening to music from start to finish. Obviously ordinary consumers wouldn't pay such a high level of commitment.

RenegAde

It's considered "cool" for everyone to listen to men's music but it's uncool for  people (expecially men) to listen to female songs . Causing the popularity of female songs to dwindle in comparison to men .

Only a few females who are so dominant manage to break the stereotype 

MANiCURE 6

Dua Lipa, Doja Cat, Lady Gaga, Billie Eillish, Ariana Grande, Katy Perry and many more are charting really high these days.

And I don't think that's a problem that there's currently 19 males for 1 female artist in TOP20 of Billboard 200.

Archived