💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

tiktok saved the music industry

FentyGa

Featured Posts

FentyGa

i know that sounds INSANE but hear me out:laughga:

im not a tiktok user, ive never been on the app myself. however, some of my friends use it, and therefore listen to the music popularised there. here’s what i’ve observed.

a lot of the music is by independent artists.

songs made by individuals, in their homes just doing what they love, and creating what they want. not what a label is telling them to, as most of them don’t even have labels, but what they want to do.

the charts and the songs being made popular are less controlled by labels and the puppet masters of pop music (the worst being radio:gum: gross). instead, the corporations are catering to the tastes and likes of the public, and what’s being popularised by them. even if many of the artists are one hit wonders, that’s ok/good. more artists are getting exposure, and that’s great. it’s not the same five artists getting hits over and over.

now, is the music actually good? that’s a whole other conversation. it’s a battle of objective quality and subjective taste, but that’s not the point. the point is that music is being freed. i mean, this is what ARTPOP’s all about, right?:bear:

Tik Tok was the quarantine Soundcloud.

Even though I hated the app, but I agree so many talented artists came from the Tik Tok era. 

mucinex

Tiktok does not pay artists per song views like a standard streaming service, they pay artists fractions of cents based on how many tiktoks are made using each song. 

That is not the future of music. :fail:

vyniildisk

YAAAAS thanks! You can discover so much music there. Its an amazing platform!

FentyGa
5 minutes ago, Matt Amor said:

Tiktok does not pay artists per song views like a standard streaming service, they pay artists fractions of cents based on how many tiktoks are made using each song. 

but people who use the app then go and listen to the songs on spotify, apple music, youtube, etc

it’s not the future, it’s the now:trollga:

Gagaplayer315

Bold of you to assume that it can’t be controlled :ally: I remember an article saying that a certain girl could literally make a song a hit if she used it in her videos

pop ate my heart
10 minutes ago, Matt Amor said:

Um but it's not like people are gonna just start streaming music through Tik Tok anyway :billie: I guess they didn't mean 'future of music' in that way

am i-e-i-e-i-e-i-e-i-e-i-p-plastic

mucinex
1 minute ago, FentyGa said:

but people who use the app then go and listen to the songs on spotify, apple music, youtube, etc

it’s not the future, it’s the now:trollga:

I understand the benefits of songs going viral on tiktok, but that applies to any social media platform. I'm not denying Tiktok's influence on people, I'm advocating for better treatment and payment for artists who are being robbed. 

Jose P

I get what you’re saying and it does help you discover music. The thing is that the music you find on Tik Tok is rarely good :poot:

So it’s more like a place to discover sh*tty music for the most part. 

mucinex
Just now, pop ate my heart said:

Um but it's not like people are gonna just start streaming music through Tik Tok anyway :billie: I guess they didn't mean 'future of music' in that way

I know that Tiktok isn't a streaming service, but they work with music distributors to get access of these songs on their platform just like Spotify & Apple Music. If it weren't for all the songs that go viral, Tiktok wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is. If the artists who make these songs directly contribute to Tiktok's revenue, Tiktok should return the favor in a more substantial way. 

FentyGa
2 minutes ago, Jose P said:

I get what you’re saying and it does help you discover music. The thing is that the music you find on Tik Tok is rarely good :poot:

So it’s more like a place to discover sh*tty music for the most part. 

like i saiiid, whether it’s good or not is a question for another time

however, it’s saying something that people like it. even if some of it is objectively bad, people like listening to it, and that’s what matters. they dont have to settle for what’s on the radio, because they have the option to find music they enjoy more (whether that be through tiktok or other social media, whatever)

mucinex
3 minutes ago, FentyGa said:

like i saiiid, whether it’s good or not is a question for another time

however, it’s saying something that people like it. even if some of it is objectively bad, people like listening to it, and that’s what matters. they dont have to settle for what’s on the radio, because they have the option to find music they enjoy more (whether that be through tiktok or other social media, whatever)

I agree with most of this, but I would like to add the emphasis on the artists themselves.

The benefits of this for Tiktok users is to find new music, the benefit of this for artists is to maybe get discovered. 

The negative aspects of this for artists is getting paid virtually nothing despite how many times their song is viewed, whereas there are no real negative aspects for Tiktok users. Tiktok users & fans should be fighting to support paying artists more if they've discovered so many new songs & artists through it. 

GaGaAst

Its promoting bad quality songs and taking away what music stands for at CORE.

Imagine by John Lennon is a prime example of what music should be. 

Tiktok is growing user base for music but most of the growth is negative. 

Earlier songs changed people's life, even the main stream ones. Now mainstream music is all bullshit. 

Love it when you call me legs In the morning, buy me eggs

Archived