💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What went wrong with... (vol.3)

COOOK

Featured Posts

COOOK

Was it because her concept of "purposeful pop" didn't match with this song? Ahead of its time? Did Migos' controversies harmed its performance?
Her buzzcut debut rubbed everybody the wrong way? Was Katy beginning to be left behind while pop music continued to shift and move forward?
Or just the song's not it?

Previous "What went wrong with..." discussion:

Spoiler

Ryusei

People having no taste cause i doubt anyone aside from stans knew about the "purposeful pop" thing

It's a bop and the best song on Witness I said what I said :lolly:

Musery

I like this song. I twerk to it occasionally but it shouldn’t have been a single. After the moderate(?) success of Chained To The Rhythm I think Katy should have just released Witness/Pendulum/Miss You More. 

She should’ve left these “fun” songs for last like she did with This Is How We Do. 

raragaga

it's just a terrible song and an extremely uncomfortable video to watch giphy.gif

xoxo

hieronymus
8 minutes ago, raragaga said:

it's just a terrible song and an extremely uncomfortable video to watch giphy.gif

Yeah, the video is very much in the uncanny valley. 

It's just a vanilla song. 🤷‍♂️ Basically the spiritual predecessor of Yummy. They're both just sexual food puns without much personality or point of view. Oh wow... that video was uncanny valley-y too.

tomsches

Terrible song with very questionable lyrics, terrible performances, annyoing personality, and the most cringey marketing campaign ever --> remember the Bon Appetite challenge where you had to splash water in your own face? Look it up

gagaxsebert

It's a meh Katy song. The video made me laugh but this was truly were Katy's career trajectory started going south at an alarming rate. :bradley:

Used to be HighRoad

Franch Toast

Aww, this song holds a special place in my heart because I was in the live studio audience when she performed it on SNL (along with "Swish Swish"). 

She/Her/Hers

Suspiria

The song is a bop and the video is peak Katy.

The problem was just that people had grown tired of her. And the hair certainly didn't help.

The Clown
1 hour ago, COOOK said:

Was Katy beginning to be left behind while pop music continued to shift and move forward?

This. It ain't particularly good (no shade, a majority of songs by big names are not "particularly good", meaning they would never get the peak they do were they released by some rando). Katy Perry's name just wasn't enough to get the GP paying attention, anymore -- she got that chance with CCTR and it didn't really connect too much.

StrawberryBlond

Honestly, of all her singles to fail from this era, this was a really surprising one. It was a pop song with urban elements, was about sex, featured Migos (who were really successful at the time) and had a controversial video. All those things are usually a combination for success. I'm sure such a single would've taken off during TD, maybe even Prism as well. I never liked the song, the Migos lyrics were disgusting and I thought the video was awful but my take on music is usually vastly different from the public's so that's no indication of these being the reason why it failed. I'd hazard a guess to say it was too adult for her very young fans and made their parents disapprove and disallow their kids from buying it but there's streaming now and YouTube which will count towards the song's performance and what parents actually looks up everything their child's looking at online? Plus, her fans are older now anyway. It still baffles me why this single is where it all went wrong. If any song on that album had a high chance of success, it was this one. The clearly faked views and likes its had in the years since shows how much Capitol really wanted this song to be big.

huttont

This song is perfection. The production is so good and the lyrics are catchy and clever. It’s one of her best songs. I said it. :crossed:

Archived