💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Should LGBT icons tour/not tour in homophobic countries?

Reject False Icons

Featured Posts

Reject False Icons

i though that because of Gaga & Madonna not ever going back to Russia, Ukraine but Christina Aguilera going frequently 

I love all these singers and I’m not judging them but I don’t know what is the right answer when they are all LGBT defenders 
What do you think?, on one hand they provide a safe space at their concerts and on the other hand they give money to these homophobic countries :shrug:

Archduchess

As you said, it is complicated

to me it's already revolutionary for gay icons like Gaga to go those places even if it looks hypocritical

weed

mm I think the queer people in those countries deserve to see their faves despite their governments' actions, but I also think yeah it's providing money and exposure and very potentially outing people in those countries which could be a death sentence. Maybe they can do virtual concerts only to IP addresses from each specific country :flower:

Reject False Icons
42 minutes ago, Archduchess said:

Oh yeah I forgot, Gaga still toured in UAE and performed in Baku, but I still doubt if it’s okay

No, if it’s gonna bring harm to the artist similar to Gaga with Russia and Jakarta.

Yes, because it makes a statement to the country they’re visiting. Also, just because the country is against it does not there are fans that admire the artist and want them to come and perform.

derpmonster

Yes (as long as it's safe) for the LGBT fans who have no other outlet and for whom the artist's show could be liberating. 

Such a thing could also help influence social attitudes in that country. 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

Tyler1992

I think they should. The artist shouldn’t penalize the LGBT+ community because of a countries beliefs. If it’s safe for the artist and the attendees they should go.

Guest Adarsh

What about their gay fans in those countries? How is it their fault that they were born in a homophobic country?

Babel

I think they should take the risk and tour in those countries, providing the community a safe space to be visible is one of the most effective ways to promote LGTBQ+ rights. 

Xoxo Adriana

this is a tough question. i am for and against it.

for it because LGBT individuals in those countries need more influencers who represent them to show them they’re loved and they matter regardless of what country they’re in. and tbh regardless of being LGBTQ fans should still be able to see their fave artist live and not for it to be selective of country.

id only be against it realistically, because it may harm the artist and their fans especially. it’s not just LGBTQ fans that go to these concerts. if there’s homophobic laws and homophobic people are attending the concert, this could harm fans, hence why i don’t think LGBTQ/ally artists would wanna visit these countries...purely for the safety of their fans. 

people have to remember the amount of homophobic/extremist protesting that can go down at LGBTQ concerts in these countries. gaga especially is no stranger to this. not that she cares (and she shouldn’t) but i think if she cares for the safety of her fans she just can’t risk it. the world has too much prejudice that affects innocent people unfortunately:saladga:

RAMROD

Either are fine tbh. If they go, they can help aspire and inspire the fellow LGBTQ to be strong, also for people who against it, usually out of religious views, that LGBTQ isn't bad people. But if they don't want to step foot in homophobic countries, it is not their fault.

It is back to the country themselves if they will allow the artists to hold a show there, cos some countries are very adamant with their belief.

It is the same question on personal level if you decides to never travel to homophobic countries or not. As for now there are more homophobic countries, either strongly or in grey area, than the ones that openly accepting it. So will you given up all the opportunity to experience that in place of your decision or will you plan accordingly to the state of the country itself?

As for me and my husband, we are the latter type. We are still visiting countries that are in grey area or just not enforcing anti LGBTQ law yet such as many countries in East and South East Asia, like Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and so on. some countries in Europe and more. 

And avoid altogether all countries that would punish gay couples and/or a lot of harrasment/violent attack to LGBTQ person.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

48 minutes ago, Babel said:

I think they should take the risk and tour in those countries, providing the community a safe space to be visible is one of the most effective ways to promote LGTBQ+ rights. 

I agree. The only way I wouldn’t recommend artists taking the risk is if the public is willing to harm them for stepping foot in their country.

2School4Cool

I heard a story once about the band Fun. who are major LGBTQ+ allies. I believe they were supporting an LGBTQ+ organization on tour and (If I remember the story correctly, I heard it a long time ago) they almost canceled their show at an anti-LGBT university but decided instead to perform the show and use it as an opportunity to speak out in support of LGBTQ+ students who feel like they aren’t accepted and make them feel heard.

It may be different depending on the situation. I’m not sure how it financially works, I don’t know if bringing a show to a homophobic place could allow homophobia to continue, so I truly can’t give a well-rounded opinion. I do believe, though, that playing shows can allow people feel heard and recognized if the artist uses is as an opportunity to speak about acceptance.

See The Best In Everyone

Archived