💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What makes an artist successful ?

Gagadonna

Featured Posts

Gagadonna

@Sour Candy and I were kindly arguing about who between BLACKPINK and Gaga were the most successful, and it appears we don't agree on what success is. 

For me, success is cultural impact and relevancy. You could have an artist have one or several #1 song(s) on streaming platforms while not being talked about that much (no matter positively or negatively), that artist wouldn't be successful to me. The artist would just have their moment. 

That's why I think Gaga is more successful than many of her contemporaries. She's got that something that many don't have (and I'm not talking about talent :haroon:). 

Or maybe I'm just missing the point of the definition of success :zilla:

So, what is success to you ? What makes an artist successful ?

PS : I put this thread in the Gaga Thoughts section because Gaga is part of my reasoning.  

NFRatwell

Global significance and impact, how well known are they in their field of work 

Gagadonna
Just now, NFRockwell said:

Global significance and impact, how well known are they in their field of work 

Agreed!

Dramatica

Success is very subjective. A local band might be successful at selling shows and earning steady money. Even tho we would judge them as flop because they are unknown in the GP eye.

But since we are talking about celebrities then I'd say they are all successful, the fact that we even talk about them is a proof of their success. There are 7.5 billion people on earth and only a handful of celebrities and knowledgeable artists, so they are successful :ohwell:

I didn't ask for a free ride, I only asked you to show me a real good time.

Teletubby
11 minutes ago, Gagadonna said:

What makes an artist successful ?

Industry and the way that recording labels are promoting them. 

i'm just a baby and @Juanlittlem is my ❀*·ꕤ. ☁️eternal enemy🌩️。˚❀

Lucas

It used to be impact and talent, releasing good music, now it's just about streaming numbers

GagaEnigma

I agree that what makes an artist truly successful is mostly cultural impact all around the world.

And when it comes to Gaga, even my parents and grandparents know some of her songs and that she wore the meat dress (without me telling them about it). We are not from the US either :enigma:

the only reason why blackpink is blowing up in the kpop world is because of their label YG ent. yes they are being mistreated in that label. but YG entertainment used to have a girlgroup called 2NE1 (a group with 4 members with songs pretty similar to blackpink) which already gained some success in the US back in 2014 (they had the highest charting album on bb top 200 before BTS came) but sadly the group were also mistreated in the company so they disbanded in 2016. kpop fans were dissapointed as they were the biggest kpop group at the time, so when YG debuted BLACKPINK (a group with 4 members with similar concepts as 2ne1), the global kpop fans instantly join the fandom. 

p.s. i heard somewhere AS IF ITS YOUR LAST were written for 2NE1 but went for BP

The Z

Gaga is OBVIOUSLY more successful than Blackpink. 

Obviously the group does better on streaming, and they're very successful but that's because they have a youger public. Gaga is known by 90% of the world, is one of the best selling artists ever despite debuting when sales started to die

My Name Isnt Alice

Is blackpink vs gaga even arguable?

But for me success is sales + impact + ICONICNESS and Gaga has all of them

KeepOnSwimming

Success means to me, that you - as an individual - are in the position to do what you truly love and want to do and can make a living out of it. That's success. Success isn't being known everywhere, it isn't owning a ton of green paper (money), it isn't about fame and cultural impact. :vegas:

To me its about being able to do what you love and live a happy life with a job or a profession that you love and that you don't only do because of the money. That's success. Happiness is success. :heart:

For example:

Gaga to me is now much more successful than during the highest heights of her carreeer. Bacause now she's truly able to do what she loves without all the **** in the background that makes her unhappy. She's now able to do what she loves (music, movies, makeup,...) without giving away her happiness. She does what she loves and she seems happy while doing it. That, at least to me, is a huge success :kiss::reductive:

Success isn't about some strangers perspective about you. It's about your own perspective of yourself. How you view yourself. And what things you think are important. Success is a state of mind. Just like everything else... 

'Holding on so tight to the status, 

It's not real but I'll try to grab it, 

Keep myself in beautiful places, 

Paradise is in my hands' :firega:

Massive Monster

You have to give a round of Applause to any person/media who deems more successful than or comparable to Gaga any artist/group that's been around for 2 minutes :applause:

Even braver to do so on Gagadaily  :smh:

Kind regards

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

It used to be impact and talent, releasing good music, now it's just about streaming numbers

This

Archived