💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why doesn’t Grace Jones have a hit

Lighter

Featured Posts

Batwings

This isn't intended as shade in any way, but here in the US, Grace Jones is regarded as a fashion icon, but her music career is hardly ever discussed. I knew about her music because I'm obsessed with pop culture, but most people in the states don't. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Babba the Hutt

I love Grace Jones, her attitude, her performances, her entire image. I get she might be divisive for some but that doesn't change the fact that she is an icon. Grace actually enjoys her underground status too so popularity wasn't exactly something she ever worried about.

As for her thoughts on Gaga and other artists, it's understandable because... well, photos speak for themselves, the woman definitely inspired many and so few are willing to ever admit it and fans of some of these artists hate her guts so that's another reason they won't admit her influence. She deserves far more recognition in general.

Back to the Gaga topic, this was years ago when she was still finding herself and maturing, I'm confident that Grace paid attention to her over the years and she might've changed her mind... even if it's just a little.

Also her live performances really are something else :flower:

elijahfan
9 hours ago, Cavadour said:

Obviously, all of you here have never seen Grace Jones live on stage. I saw her two times in Montreux some years ago, she was past 65. A total blast. Musically and visually. Seeing her more as a fashion icon persona than a musician and singer is just as wrong as saying the same about Gaga.

Nobody is saying Grace Jones is a bad performer, we're just saying she's more known for her modeling career, which is a literal fact. Make a poll on the street and ask people for their favorite Grace Jones song, and a big majority will have a hard time saying anything else than La Vie en Rose, what can we do about it? :shrug:

elijahfan
16 hours ago, nswain1110 said:

2. Grace barely shaded Gaga and actually said  - “Gaga came to me, and I just could not find a soul. I come from church, maybe that has something to do with it. I like to get to the soul of a person. I just didn’t feel a soul.”

Turn it any way you want, but that's a horrible thing to say about anyone tbh....

elijahfan
17 hours ago, darkpaw said:

Get into it:ohwell:

Love Grace, but the album is low-key different versions of the same song tho :oops:

elijahfan
16 hours ago, intotherosegarden said:

she's always seemed incredibly unnaproachable to me. i dont know how real it is or if its all face/ a character. if i was backstage or at a show and she was nearby i likely wouldn't so much as look at her, even if it was a social situation where everyone's mingling. i don't know if its because of the artistry or the personality but she doesnt have an ounce of relatability to me.

i admire her and what she's done and the impact she has no doubt had/continues to have but that's about it for me. and given her music was primarily produced and put out in the 70s and 80s, relatability and likeability would have been a must to go anywhere.

A friend of mine was a fashion trainee back in the days and found herself at the club with Grace Jones - she told me it was one of the most terrifying experiences of her life :laughga: Along with trying to dress Cyndi Crawford, who apparently was a major pain in the ass. Ah the 80s.

metalguru
3 hours ago, elijahfan said:

A friend of mine was a fashion trainee back in the days and found herself at the club with Grace Jones - she told me it was one of the most terrifying experiences of her life :laughga: Along with trying to dress Cyndi Crawford, who apparently was a major pain in the ass. Ah the 80s.

Yes, her tyrannic attitude is tiresome!

Ziggy
On 7/11/2020 at 12:47 AM, Ouranos said:

I can name 3 bjork songs can’t name one grace jones song

I said most, but good for you, i guess. flex.

*most* people don't know much about björk or grace jones beyond their notoriety. That's just kind of how it is. I'm not saying they're the same, just that to a casual music-lover, both artists probably occupy similar brain space despite being pretty different artists.

Archived