💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Lady Antebellum change name, then sue Black artist with same name

Gagaloo911

Featured Posts

Gagaloo911

The US country group Lady A – known until recently as Lady Antebellum, before changing their name to shed slavery-era connotations – is suing the black female artist Lady A over use of the name.

When the trio first announced the name change in June out of respect for black Americans, it appeared that they were unaware that Anita White had been performing as Lady A for 20 years. “This is my life,” White said at the time.

White had told Newsday she felt “the group’s camp is trying to erase me”. In June, she told Rolling Stone: “They’re using the name because of a Black Lives Matter incident that, for them, is just a moment in time. If it mattered, it would have mattered to them before. It shouldn’t have taken George Floyd to die for them to realize that their name had a slave reference to it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/09/lady-antebellum-sue-black-singer-lady-a-name-change-anita-white

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alsemanche

The hypocrisy of it all... They really did all of it for publicity lmao disgusting 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

JRCF29

I thought that they had contacted her and it was all good. Mess, but I don't even think they should have changed their name in the first place, not like they were called Lady Slave

Don't Call Me Gaga

Pennywise

Lmao, the fact that they were all like "oh we're changing our name because it is racist" and now they're doing this... Shows a lot about how people just do **** for "woke" points. :ohwell:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

CyanLights

the absolute gall to go after someone who was using the name first. disgusting really. 

JRCF29
1 minute ago, CyanLights said:

gull

loop high quality GIF

I've been a fan of the band for years, I've called them Lady A and most fans do the same. In their court filing they point out that they've applied for a "Lady A" trademark in some form many times in the past and it wasn't challenged by White then. If the other Lady A(nita White) has been using the name for 20 years and no one knows about her it's hardly Hillary, Charles, and Dave's fault she's not as famous

Don't Call Me Gaga

River
4 minutes ago, JRCF29 said:

I thought that they had contacted her and it was all good. Mess, but I don't even think they should have changed their name in the first place, not like they were called Lady Slave

It was the Dixie Chicks when they changed to The Chicks, there's a NZ band with the same name but they gave them the ok to use it too

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

EuphoricVibez

This is despicable. They changed their name to Lady A, but they're suing a black artist with the same stage name. I guess they were only pretending to be woke then... :saladga: 

He/him/his

God Control

Good thing all the celebrity and corporate white-knighting and virtue signaling is being expose for the lie it’s always been and always will be.

Delulu Rogers

Wait how do they even have grounds to sue if the other lady was using that name first?

CyanLights

loop high quality GIF

my bad:lmao: 

I've been a fan of the band for years, I've called them Lady A and most fans do the same. In their court filing they point out that they've applied for a "Lady A" trademark in some form many times in the past and it wasn't challenged by White then. If the other Lady A(nita White) has been using the name for 20 years and no one knows about her it's hardly Hillary, Charles, and Dave's fault she's not as famous

Do they actually go by it themselves tho? Ot is it the same way we call Gaga "gags" and stuff like that? 

If they just changed their name last month officially then it seems unfair imo :shrug:

CyanLights
Just now, Delulu Rogers said:

Wait how do they even have grounds to sue if the other lady was using that name first?

you can sue for almost anything, doesnt mean you'll win ;) 

President Biden

:ohwell: goes to show it has nothing to do with being polite and everything to do with publicity

Should’ve just stayed the same

I got drunk

Archived