💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Chromatica not edgy enough?

Lee

Featured Posts

https://blodwin1998.wixsite.com/hashtagopinions/post/chromatica-pop-perfection-but-not-the-perfect-gaga-record

A month ago I wrote my review of Chromatica on my blog, I just use it to dump my thoughts somewhere nothing serious, and I was trying to write how even though I adore Chromatica to pieces I felt it was missing something. But, all I could put it down to was it didn't have the Gaganess that I love. Since then I've been thinking about it a lot as Gaga has alwasy had this special something that Iove that puts her above any of contemporaries. 

And, I think it's her edge. Like the rock sound of Born This Way, the dance and wackyness of ARTPOP always made me feel like no other artist could do what she does. Like for example I could never see Katy Perry (I love her, but shes always been more bubblegum clean pop than Gaga imo) singing Americano, Aura, Electric Chapel, Swine or Judas. Gaga has got this fierce give no shits aura in her leather punk jacket. Her edgyness has always been what I love. 

Whereas with Chromatica, though it is legit perfect pop, I love the album and how it is bop banger after bop, but I could see her contemporaries doing it as it doesn't have the Gaga sound. 

Any of this makes sense? Any one agree? Or am I just a confused little monster haha

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. It's a great album, but seems slightly incomplete in a sense. It also seems like it plays things very safe. There's not much about it that's overly daring except the interludes. 

vyniildisk

the only edgy song is Sour candy thats why Gaga ignored it. The rest is campy weirdness, wich i love. 

OMonster

Hmmm... I agree that Chromaitca is more polished and 'cleaner' than any of Gaga's previous records. But there are definitely elements of 'edginess' to it that make it distinctively Gaga.

Alice, Replay, Enigma, 911, Babylon, Plastic Doll...

I don't think any artist other than Gaga could sing those songs.

Especially Replay and Enigma, which are very much 'her', imo.

I also think, generally, the way she sings on this album is very unique. There's not one other artist who could deliver the lines how she does. 

So, whilst the production is quite 'friendly', I think the vocals and lyrics (overall) are quite removed from popular trends. 

I mean, the most 'basic' song on the album is probably Stupid Love... and even that I couldn't imagine Katy or Taylor singing. 

subtext / fantasy

GagaSine

Yeah like to me a lot of the subjects and lyrics come off a little immature in a bubblegum pop kind of way (plastic doll being the main offender) 

and to me 1000 doves and Sine from Above a little bit come off very generic and ‘safe’. Gaga’s vocal performance is incredible but 1000 doves is painfully toothless to me.

but that has always been my issue with Gaga as I’m not very into pop. She has always presented something edgy & alternative in terms of themes, visual presentation, lyrics or music but it always softened to be more pop/GP friendly. She never goes far enough for me. I mean look at the cover of Chromatica, it could the poster for the most epic sci fi psychological horror movie ever, but you listen to it and it’s just... so generic in comparison. And I hate that bright EDM/music festival/David Guetta-esque sound that is featured on several tracks lol :toofunny:

But I still listen to the album regularly and enjoy it, as I do with most of Gaga’s discography. I just expect too much of her artistic range I guess.

JazzGa

I got the impression from the interview with Burns or Bloodpop that they wanted to use authentic vintage recording equipment and instruments to stay faithful to the 90s piano house genre for the most part.

So instead of throwing genres in the blender like they did on ARTPOP and BTW, Chromatica was much more consistent production-wise (at the tradeoff of being less diverse and experimental!)

The only wonderfully-wacky Gaga moment on the album was the drum break and unexpected Disco King Elton on Sine from Above! That's why it's one of my favorites!

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

NFRatwell

There are less edgier songs on Chromatica than say BTW or ARTPOP. But then again she did say this album was about reaching out to a greater audience and maybe being a bit more mainstream, which I guess she did well considering the songs you listed and their success among the general public. But I do think the aesthetic of the album is a bit of a stretch, she didn’t really put out anything that screams this darker aesthetic she tried to put out during the short album promo we had :bear: But that’s not unusual for her to do. It does make me curious about the songs she’s keeping right now though, considering the Babylon haus remix and the whole idea of more “dark” and electronic EP/repackage. I’m still holding out for this idea honestly. 

buzzkill
3 minutes ago, Doot said:

I agree. It's a great album, but seems slightly incomplete in a sense. It also seems like it plays things very safe. There's not much about it that's overly daring except the interludes. 

but maybe it's what she's aiming for? if we pick what she was saying before the album came out, about wanting it to succeed in a way to grab as much as the whole world dancing.

and in the RS interview with the producers, where they state that the songs are purposely not that much weird but having some freshness to it. 

:poot:

Stephen

It doesn't have the hard edge like some of BTW and AP but it has Gaga's heart and pop sensibility which is what makes her unique. For example, ROM lyrically is powerful but also so simple it makes you wonder why no one else thought of it. That's her genius.

Songs like Alice, Fun Tonight and Free Woman communicate Gaga's desire to be free which is a long running theme in her work - free from shame, from insecurity, from oppression, from scrutiny, from her inner demons. I think that's what Gaga represents the most for me is just this visceral idea of crying out for freedom.

Illuminati Freak

I think the thing that is missing that would make it feel complete are the visuals. With everything in hold she hasn't properly served us yet with the full album concepts. We all know there’s more music videos coming. I’m sure there were a lot more fashion editorials also put in hold and then there’s the thing with Nick Knight and whatever Chromatica TV is going to offer us. All of this together gives a proper full Gaga experience and can serve up the edginess we expect from her.

djBuffoon

What made this one stand out is the juxtaposition of the raw, truthful lyrics and the empowering, upbeat melodies. That was a very clever and unique through-line to base the album on.

Franch Toast

I like Chromatica a lot and enjoy listening to it from start to finish, and there's not one song on there that's a dud for me. 

That said, the songs overall are a bit lackluster to me. It reminds me of when I ask my dog to shake for a treat, and sometimes she gives me a quick, limp paw and then pulls it away so she can get her treat. It's what I refer to as the "limp handshake," and I use it to describe my own art if I feel I could push myself more but haven't. I don't know if it's the lyrics, production, short lengths of the songs, or something else, but Chromatica  is underwhelming to me. I have a feeling I'm going to love the live performances a lot better. 

But again, I like Chromatica overall more than any other Gaga album (maybe except The Fame) – there isn't one song I skip – yet I'm left feeling a like I've eaten a tasty meal made up of yummy snacks but am still hungry for something more substantial. 

She/Her/Hers

rasclautmangos

I LOVE Chromatica, but I agree that it could have hit a little harder. I think the lack of edginess was purposeful though.

I could very well be wrong, but I feel like the album was meant to help push her makeup line. She didn't want to get too edgey or experimental with it. 

The 90s house sound she was going for could have probably been handled better by other producers as well. Bloodpop and company did a pretty good job though.

steven

I kinda agree with that, it's a good pop record but nothing groundbreaking, especially coming from Gaga who has always been known for pushing boundaries and coming with unconventional music. Although, we can arguably say that Chromatica serves as a good return to pop music.

River

I think it's just another picky reason to criticize a perfect album.

No matter what she'll do people will complain.

When she does edgy, they complain anyway.

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Archived