đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Music Analyzers: Is Gaga the reason EDM rose in popularity?

NFRatwell

Featured Posts

NFRatwell

I see stans say that Gaga brought with her the rise of electronic dance pop, and inspired the other pop stars to follow, creating the pop music that spanned the early 2010s. How true is this? How vital was The Fame really for EDM and the rise of Synth dance pop. 

NFRatwell
1 minute ago, Dulo Peep said:

Whos gonna tell ha

I guess not you

Girl GIF by Dua Lipa

Lord Temptation

No question. In the mid 2000s dance music in the US had been stagnant since the early 90s (Europe was different matter - there Eurodance as a progression away from 80s acid and Balearic house into a more radio-friendly format, flourished). 

Because her debut song was literally called “Just Dance”, critics and the public really felt that a change was in the air, compared to the urban/R&B or emo pop that had dominated most of the 2000s up to that point. 

The Fame wasn’t the nostalgic disco pop of Confessions but heavily electronic. Hence, a genre was born. She made EDM the dominant force in pop for the next 5 years till around 2013 (hello, ARTPOP, the celebration of pop decay).

Blastertoyo

Kaskade and Deadmau5 have credited Gaga (and David Guetta) for the mainstream popularity of EDM 

Kaskade: I mean, it took a guy like David Guetta to really kick down the door and say that this can be a lot bigger than anyone could ever imagine. You know what? Actually, [it took] Lady Gaga to draw super heavily on EDM influences, too. She made this pop record that you can't ignore, like "Wow, this sounds like one of my songs. It's interesting, and that melody is super similar to something I would have done." And that's why I think, at this point, there's no stopping it. It's just huge and you can't ignore it. 

https://www.dallasobserver.com/music/kaskade-credits-edms-current-mainstream-popularity-to-lady-gaga-and-david-guetta-7066832

please enlighten me to death

vyniildisk
32 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

No question. In the mid 2000s dance music in the US had been stagnant since the early 90s (Europe was different matter - there Eurodance as a progression away from 80s acid and Balearic house into a more radio-friendly format, flourished). 

Because her debut song was literally called “Just Dance”, critics and the public really felt that a change was in the air, compared to the urban/R&B or emo pop that had dominated most of the 2000s up to that point. 

The Fame wasn’t the nostalgic disco pop of Confessions but heavily electronic. Hence, a genre was born. She made EDM the dominant force in pop for the next 5 years till around 2013 (hello, ARTPOP, the celebration of pop decay).

Yes but i am checking billboard year end charts and there was a lot of dance popular songs that came with Gaga or even before ha. You could tell that was the way the sound was organically evolving after the heavy rnb of the 2000s. For example Dont stop the music by Rihanna was #17 in 2008 billboards end chart and Black eyed peas heavily dance influenced album came at the same time as Gagas debut too and actually in 2009 their song Boom Boom Pow was #1 on the year end chart and Just Dance and Poker Face were #3 and #2. So i would say the movement was influenced by Gaga but not in any way started by her. 

FentyGa

Gaga, David Guetta, and the Black Eyed Peas caused the 2008-2011 trend of synth pop, then Rihanna, Britney, and Calvin Harris caused the popularity of 2011-2013’s EDM (we found love, etc)

yes and
2 minutes ago, Dulo Peep said:

Yes but i am checking billboard year end charts and there was a lot of populad songs that came with Gaga. You could tell thats the way the sound was organically evolving after the heavy r n b of the 2000s. For example Dont stop the music by Rihanna was #17 in 2008 billboards end chart and Black eyed peas heavily dance influenced album came at the same time as Gagas debut too and actually in 2009 their song Boom Boom Pow was #1 on the year end chart and Just Dance and Poker Face were #3 and #2. So i would say the movement was influenced by Gaga but not in any way staryed by her. 

She was an arising pop star who didn't happen to be one-hit-wonder. She was new, unique and outrageous, so that's why all credits go to her.

Did you think I'd show up in a limousine? No

Lord Temptation
3 minutes ago, Dulo Peep said:

Yes but i am checking billboard year end charts and there was a lot of dance popular songs that came with Gaga. You could tell that was the way the sound was organically evolving after the heavy rnb of the 2000s. For example Dont stop the music by Rihanna was #17 in 2008 billboards end chart and Black eyed peas heavily dance influenced album came at the same time as Gagas debut too and actually in 2009 their song Boom Boom Pow was #1 on the year end chart and Just Dance and Poker Face were #3 and #2. So i would say the movement was influenced by Gaga but not in any way started by her. 

I don’t disagree, music in general had been evolving and becoming more and more electronic throughout the 2000s. Listen to Britney’s Blackout from 2007 or Janet Jackson’s Discipline from 2008. Gaga didn’t invent EDM, no one artist did, but she personified it, reimagining it as a reawakening of glam culture, playing with the concept of dance itself as a metaphor for life.

vyniildisk
2 minutes ago, Sour Candy said:

She was an arising pop star who didn't happen to be one-hit-wonder. She was new, unique and outrageous, so that's why all credits go to her.

Just now, Lord Temptation said:

I don’t disagree, music in general had been evolving and becoming more and more electronic throughout the 2000s. Listen to Britney’s Blackout from 2007 or Janet Jackson’s Discipline from 2008. Gaga didn’t invent EDM, no one artist did, but she personified it, reimagining it as a reawakening of glam culture, playing with the concept of dance itself as a metaphor for life.

then that horrible song i got a feeling by tbep too that started all that mediocre waves of cheap edm like LMFAO that lead to the chainsmokers ughh the horror

INNA
1 hour ago, NFRockwell said:

I guess not you

Girl GIF by Dua Lipa

Bich you gon step on my fckin toes with those pop girl fckin 1 inch heels BCH DISCUSTINGCK

fragment-fragment--bul-uh...scab-uh..fragment-foot, bullet fragment foot bich!

brizoda

Don't Stop The Music & I Gotta Feeling were house songs, but Gaga with Just Dance & Poker Face popularised Electro-Pop

Also in the 2000's in Europe Trance & Electro House were very successful

And the songs that we call EDM in the first part of the 2010's were (Progressive House, Big Room House & US Dubstep)

JazzGa

Well, first of all, I would consider the "synthpop" influences of The Fame and the "EDM" influences of ARTPOP to be 2 different genres. So my answer is different for each of them.

EDM was rising in popularity before ARTPOP was released, and even in 2013 when it first came out I thought that she followed the trends of trap and EDM because she noticed they were rising and is a smart marketer. She didn't take a risk on bringing up some obscure genre no one was listening to-- she noticed what was bubbling up, and hopped on it. Nothing wrong with admitting smart pop songwriters do that. 

Meanwhile, I WOULD say that Pokerface and Just Dance brought Eurodance/synthpop to US radio stations (the only other album that could get credit for that is BEP's The E.N.D. but it came out a year after The Fame :billie:). Oh, and also that Joanne started a "rootsy folksy" pop revival. 

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

vyniildisk
1 hour ago, FentyGa said:

Gaga, David Guetta, and the Black Eyed Peas caused the 2008-2011 trend of synth pop, then Rihanna, Britney, and Calvin Harris caused the popularity of 2011-2013’s EDM (we found love, etc)

Interesting, what about Quecha? Was she a byproduct of Gagas stardom? Also can we talk about how Katy managed such success with a completely different sound. She was kinda rockish

buzzkill

gaga, guetta, kylie minogue.
the EDM was going mainstream, she just pushed it. 

:poot:

Archived