Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Fun Tonight should’ve been a piano ballad

Gracious Gaga

Featured Posts

Gracious Gaga

nobody:

Me: It should’ve.  The upbeat pop production makes it a bit cheesy imo.  I think a ballad type production would make the song a stronger track.

i understand she was going for “dancing through the pain”. But I could imagine a more stripped down production, ala “wildest dreams” Taylor Swift/Lana Del Rey Born to Die album style or even like Before I Cry.  
even a simple piano driven Joanne style ballad type production would’ve made the track better imo.  

what do you think?  Do you like the upbeat electronic dance production? Or would you like a more stripped down ballad type production? Or is this thread pointless ?

♥ Kindness Police.

Helix

I think the production works as is, having the song slow down all the way to a ballad would've been jarring given how uptempo the rest of the album is. 

blankpaper

I agree :vegas:

Piano ballads are her strength and not having any on the album makes it feel like there’s something missing 

reality’s tight if the music is right

SOON

I'd like a piano version but I like how the first section of the song focuses on her vocals and then the instrumental builds up and ends with a beatdrop. It literally shifts me from sad to happy sad. :haroon:

gaga, halsey, lorde, taylor, dua

Gracious Gaga
1 minute ago, Helix said:

I think the production works as is, having the song slow down all the way to a ballad would've been jarring given how uptempo the rest of the album is. 

thats how I felt about Dope being on ARTPOP.  I think a ballad approach still could've worked and fit the album if they kept it stripped down but electronic/experimental, a good half time beat like a classic Lana Del Rey Born To Die track, sometime darker and edgy to match the meaning of the song IDK lol <3 

Just now, blankpaper said:

I agree :vegas:

Piano ballads are her strength and not having any on the album makes it feel like there’s something missing 

I liked 1000 doves piano demo! glad she thru that in as a bonus.  she should've done two piano demos tho- 1000 doves and Fun Tonight.

♥ Kindness Police.

Gracious Gaga
Just now, moonsago said:

The song is good as it is and ya’ll will deal 

currently dealing by skipping it

Spoiler

:ladyhaha::kiss:

♥ Kindness Police.

Red Velvet

but then, it won't really make sense with her way of "dancing through the pain". 

BLACKPINK IN YOUR AREA

Ladle Ghoulash

I think her giving the songs that are compositionally and tonally ballads upbeat production gives the album fluidity and keeps the pace really well. And if you think about it, this as a production choice has allowed her to write a few songs that are power ballads on the album, instead of just one token piano ballad. IMHO: Fun Tonight, Plastic Doll, Sine from Above, and 1000 Doves are all basically ballad, but dressing them up allows them to coexist with the whole 90s house dance aesthetic 

Animal Claws

The song is great as it is :vegas:

I would love a piano version of it tho.

warhol killer

I wish it had better production, even if it was a dance track. The build-up goes nowhere.

warhol killer ✴ GAGA¹⁵

Meredith Grey

I actually disagree tbh. This song is the one that hit me the hardest on my first listen. I was expecting this song to be like a basic bop and it ended up being one of the saddest songs on the album. I think what makes the song beautiful (and my fav on the album) bc it’s such a metaphor for the whole album. The lyrics are so sad and the beat is something dancy and fun. Like she’s trying to have fun but her brain isn’t letting her. Idk if I’m explaining it right but this is the kinda song that needs to be a dance/pop track.

although, everyone relates and connects to Gaga’s music differently here and that’s what i love so much about her music and especially this album. Everybody seems to have such a different view and relationship with this album and I think that’s what makes this such a strong and good album. Most of us seem to connect to this music so much.

Gracious Gaga
49 minutes ago, HugoJG said:

If so how would we dance through our pain :poot: 

listen to Alice rain on me or 911 or replay if u wanna dance. or the rest of the album basically lol :neyde:

♥ Kindness Police.

Archived