MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

tech

TikTok may be banned by Trump Administration

Werk

Featured Posts

JRCF29
41 minutes ago, stevana229 said:

Trump wants to ban it because all those tiktok teens trolled him during his rally 

Uninformed comment. Military banned it or else strongly discouraged it on government-issued devices months ago. It's been talked about for months. 

Don't Call Me Gaga
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PoetsTryinWrite
9 hours ago, Ryusei said:

TikTok actually has 2 iterations, one for China (there called 抖音 pronounced douyin) and one for the rest of the world (TikTok) so I dont see the point of banning an app just because it's from China, like with everything it is your own responsibility to know what you sign up for. And just because some companies SAY they dont spy or use your data or whatever, doesn't mean it's actually true. 

I have no words for how westerners are alright with their own governments spying on them, but if any others try to do it it’s suddenly offensive :fail:

Defend Your Humanity.
justhislife
2 hours ago, Maleficent said:

EbkalGXVcAIOoni?format=jpg&name=large

Do other social media platforms not do the same?

2 hours ago, JRCF29 said:

Take this narrative somewhere else, please. Calling out and taking action against China in response to attempts to spy on the American people is not racism. Calling out and taking action against China for violating human and due process rights in Hong Kong is not racism. Calling out and taking action against China for actively misleading and deceiving other countries' top scientists about the existence and prevalence of a deadly pandemic is not racism. If you're so concerned about racism/discrimination as it relates to China then I suggest turning your attention to the country's practice of "re-educating" Muslims (hint: it's not exactly a schoolhouse.)

It wouldn't matter if the app was Russian, Iranian, British, Canadian, Mexican, Guatemalan, French, Swiss, or Chromatican, if it were to pose a threat to U.S interests, but here's a bit more China-specific context: the company that owns TikTok is called ByteDance and is headquartered in China (Beijing, I think); Chinese internet policy allows the Chinese government to request access to tech platforms' information and data. I believe I've read that Australia is investigating further and of course Indian authorities just blocked a bunch of apps with ties to China and its government last week. 

We're not talking about human rights issues or pandemic response. And even if we were, Trump would say absolutely NOTHING if he didn't totally fvck up on his response to the virus. We are talking about a company based in China siphoning user information. U.S. companies do the exact same thing, we've known about it for a decade. And yet you fail to address it in your response. The difference is that it's a Chinese company. It's that U.S. companies have a foothold on lobbying. It's that Trump was embarrassed by Tik Tok users. It's that Trump has had a **** size war with China for months. Even scarier, Trump has taken action in order to take down social media in general, and starting with the Chinese one will be easiest. Then it will be Facebook, and Instagram, and Twitter. 

Somebody (maybe you) said that Tik Tok is banned from the military. But it's actually banned on government phones, which I find perfectly okay, because they don't need it on a work phone anyways. The U.S. can request information from the internet companies too. Snapchat actively works with law enforcement. So do other platforms. China isn't special in that regard. And if you think that the U.S. as an institution won't use your own data against you the same way the Chinese will, there's a chance you're being willfully ignorant. India and China have ongoing disputes at the moment, so I do not find it shocking in the slightest they banned the app. 

I understand not trusting the app. Because I believe it gets information from us. But U.S. companies do the same. They surely sell to China. And without a doubt the U.S. abuses this information as well. If you're so scared of bad intentions by China, you might as well throw out your phone because there's a huge chance your chip is made in China. 

justhislife
22 minutes ago, PoetsTryinWrite said:

I have no words for how westerners are alright with their own governments spying on them, but if any others try to do it it’s suddenly offensive :fail:

Well it took Americans 6 years to find out PRISM existed. So I wonder how long until it comes out European governments do it too. 

raragaga

i mean, tiktok seems like trash so i don't care. never installed it

xoxo
Antonio

Pandemic! Civil unrest! Who cares about frigin tik tok?!

𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞
Blown Away
20 hours ago, sampool said:

Good. Less garbage music on BBH100 

Poor Lil'(insert something) 's  :billie:

They shipped it, but it got shipped back
Monster647
12 hours ago, PoetsTryinWrite said:

I mean it's fairly simple. 

Government of your own country has responsibilities towards you such as ensuring your security; and you, as the citizen, have the right to change that government.

This of course only applies to nations that can uphold democratic principles. For instance, Chinese people don't have the right to change their government; as a result, government cannot really be held accountable by their own citizens either. 

A foreign, a specifically a hostile nation, has neither any accountability towards you nor any benevolent reasons to collect data on you. I gave the security example specifically because your own government's branches or institutions often use intelligence activities to protect the national security which in fact prevents stuff like ISIS exploding a subway station that you can be at.

Archived