tech

TikTok may be banned by Trump Administration

Werk

Featured Posts

JRCF29
22 minutes ago, justhislife said:

This is Trump's racism

Take this narrative somewhere else, please. Calling out and taking action against China in response to attempts to spy on the American people is not racism. Calling out and taking action against China for violating human and due process rights in Hong Kong is not racism. Calling out and taking action against China for actively misleading and deceiving other countries' top scientists about the existence and prevalence of a deadly pandemic is not racism. If you're so concerned about racism/discrimination as it relates to China then I suggest turning your attention to the country's practice of "re-educating" Muslims (hint: it's not exactly a schoolhouse.)

It wouldn't matter if the app was Russian, Iranian, British, Canadian, Mexican, Guatemalan, French, Swiss, or Chromatican, if it were to pose a threat to U.S interests, but here's a bit more China-specific context: the company that owns TikTok is called ByteDance and is headquartered in China (Beijing, I think); Chinese internet policy allows the Chinese government to request access to tech platforms' information and data. I believe I've read that Australia is investigating further and of course Indian authorities just blocked a bunch of apps with ties to China and its government last week. 

Don't Call Me Gaga
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vyniildisk
27 minutes ago, brownie said:

That’s not how coding an app and algorithms work sis but........

17 minutes ago, GregJA said:

Which filter, sepia, bokeh or #nofilter :hor:

Reported.

joannesrats
1 hour ago, JRCF29 said:

If it's in the interest of national security, I don't follow your equivalency. He's not banning TikTok because users on it don't like him or his administration and use the platform to be critical of it, he's banning it because of ties to China, a country which, I cannot stress enough, is just a little bit hostile to America, it's government, and it's people. So no, it's not in the vein of China or North Korea, which ban social media as a way to oppress thought deemed "unacceptable". 

And what about the reports of other american companies selling their data on citizens to other countries? 

joannesrats
1 hour ago, brownie said:

Uh no fam, this app is literally Chinese spyware that is harvesting info from the youth of America. This goes far beyond consorship and is an active issue that needs to be addressed.

And the same can be said for facebook, google, and apple. 

Morphine Prince

Gen Z will implode.

Anyway, should I delete this off my phone or is it too late? 

Y'all remember when FaceApp was exposed to be taking your data to the Kremlin or something? :rip: 

Sashunya

I never liked TikTok at all but I know that if this really happens some other random app is gonna take its place :billie:

52 minutes ago, joannesrats said:

And the same can be said for facebook, google, and apple. 

Yes but 

a) all the apps you listed take far LESS data than TikTok is taking 

b) all the apps you listed cannot unzip and open files into binary code like TikTok can (literally going through your phone's files)

c) all the apps you listed are not companies based in Communist countries 

d) all the apps you listed still have federal regulations to follow 

But sure, keep defending your communist spyware :vegas:

FATCAT
2 hours ago, PartySick said:

Same but I will miss the fire tiktoks @FATCAT sends the group chat

DON'T MENTION THE THING THAT MUST NOT BE MENTIONED

frying pan hit over the head GIF by Emmerdale

Purr more, hiss less.
mxnster
8 hours ago, Daylight Jokers said:

The Gen Zs won't like this. :billie:

OH HUNNEY I LOVE DIS

mxnster
1 hour ago, Dulo Peep said:

woow, is this necessary? why not put a filter on the app so they can monitore they dont spy and call it a day

Spelling grammer 100!

joannesrats
31 minutes ago, brownie said:

Yes but 

a) all the apps you listed take far LESS data than TikTok is taking 

b) all the apps you listed cannot unzip and open files into binary code like TikTok can (literally going through your phone's files)

c) all the apps you listed are not companies based in Communist countries 

d) all the apps you listed still have federal regulations to follow 

But sure, keep defending your communist spyware :vegas:

I’m not defending tiktok- i’m saying that by banning a certain platform the US is no better than the countries it condemns. If it’s a big concern just make sure that top-level gov’t officials aren’t using it. 

Archived