Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Rowling has became Voldemort

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

Anveeroy

Some of the social-media reaction to Rowling has been vicious, and many of the most outraged posts have shown a notable lack of interest in her disclosure of sexual assault. Hurt feelings have trumped Rowling’s physical injuries. Admitting that Rowling’s views are influenced by her status as a survivor of male violence—and admitting that many women have similar experiences—complicates the easy division of oppressor and oppressed. “Victim blaming” is taboo among progressive activists, but so is questioning someone’s gender identity. Instead of being confronted, though, this conflict was made simply to disappear.

Much of the fan commentary following Rowling’s article has focused on what the Harry Potter series was “really about,” and whether its author has betrayed those principles. To outsiders, these discussions can seem bizarre—arguments about fascism and eugenics play out with references to goblins and Polyjuice Potions—but they are a reflection of how deeply some Millennials have been shaped by Rowling’s world. This emotional synthesis of reader and writer happens only with books we love when we are young. (I am sad, but strangely relieved, that my own beloved Terry Pratchett is safely dead.) On The Leaky Cauldron, one commenter argued against presenting “sanitized news coverage in the way the ministry and news media do in light of Voldemort’s return.” Another replied that Voldemort demonized mudbloods and muggles for not inheriting wizarding ability: “Guess who else is demonising people for not having the correct blood to be who they say they are?” Rowling gave these fans the tools they use to think about the world. Now they are having to unstitch themselves from her universe, and discover where Harry Potter ends and they begin. It’s a wrench at least as big as leaving home.

Those who feel rejected and disoriented by that should look for comfort in the character who is the true moral center of the Potterverse. It was never Harry, the boy who happened to live, whose luck always holds, whose mistakes are minor. It is Severus Snape, who was made miserable by Harry’s father and took it out on Harry, who loved Harry’s mother and betrayed her friends, who redeemed himself with a morally repugnant act. A bully, a victim, a villain, and a hero: a human.

More: https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2020/07/why-millennial-harry-potter-fans-reject-jk-rowling/613870/

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

HermioneT

I'm just glad I moved to fanfiction years ago. After reading the ending and epilogue of DH JK Rowling was already pretty much dead to me.

But yeah, interesting dynamics are going on in this discourse! It's so fascinating to see how text becomes reality and starts living on their own. And HP has been out of Rowlings control for a long time - the HP corpus, at least to me, is so much more than they seven books and her other additions. 

She / hers

At least it's easier to let go of the series from now on 'cause everything she did with it after DH was pure horse ****.

NORMANDIE

I hope that more allies speak out against her comments. This distribution of nonsense must be countered with the same force.

HausofGabo

at the most she would be Umbridge. Don't disrespect the dark lord.

AlexanderMagno

I know that she has made some questionable statements about the whole transgender issue, but damn we live in a world with Trump and several far-right leaders claiming their share of power and yet this is the woman you're calling Voldemort. 

Archived