💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

David Bowie Critizes MTV For Lack Of POC Videos In 1983

RAMROD

Featured Posts

RAMROD

MTV was still very young channel then, it was formed in August 1 1981. But Bowie sees lots of other channels did fare better and confronted them when he got to be interviewed by MTV.

Listen about their discussions below. 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

ssslyboy

It's true.  It wasn't until Michael Jackson's Thriller album.  MJ was so popular they pretty much had no choice but to bend and evolve.  Flash forward to the nineties: wall to wall hip hop/r&b/rap videos.  (Yes I'm old enough to remember this.)

Ororo Munroe

He was never afraid of speaking up the truth, truly a legend :bradley:

I was thinkin' 'bout making a comeback, back to me

10 minutes ago, ssslyboy said:

It's true.  It wasn't until Michael Jackson's Thriller album.  MJ was so popular they pretty much had no choice but to bend and evolve.  Flash forward to the nineties: wall to wall hip hop/r&b/rap videos.  (Yes I'm old enough to remember this.)

the fact that justify my love and like a prayer got banned bothers me, but in fact that they’re still banned triggers me:yennefer:

ssslyboy
14 minutes ago, BadGurlMadge said:

the fact that justify my love and like a prayer got banned bothers me, but in fact that they’re still banned triggers me:yennefer:

just to clarify: Like a Prayer - my favorite song and video of all time - was never banned.  (Pepsi pulled the commercial featuring the song and Madonna after it aired just three times because of the controversy with the video, but the video was never pulled from MTV.  In fact they aired it like a hundred times a week.  Probably their most played music video of 1989.)  And yes Justify My Love was banned from MTV but ... I'm not sure what this has to do with MTV not playing POC videos in the 80s.  It's honestly a different issue.  I'm only mentioning all this for purposes of clarifying ... cause I'm old enough to remember all this lol :legend:)

28 minutes ago, ssslyboy said:

just to clarify: Like a Prayer - my favorite song and video of all time - was never banned. 

Omg lucky u, i wasn’t born in 1989 but i’ve heard people who are saying that like a prayer got banned and never got played on mtv Scandinavia, so me and my friends contacted the support and asked a play of it but according to them it was “impossible”

But yes I heard that Pepsi story too, but still like the queen got $5m anyways:firega:

ssslyboy
46 minutes ago, BadGurlMadge said:

Omg lucky u, i wasn’t born in 1989 but i’ve heard people who are saying that like a prayer got banned and never got played on mtv Scandinavia, so me and my friends contacted the support and asked a play of it but according to them it was “impossible”

But yes I heard that Pepsi story too, but still like the queen got $5m anyways:firega:

ohhh I thought we were talking MTV US.  But yeah either way she got paid in full and the song was (obviously) a huge hit, so it worked out good for her

Archived