Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

US execs wanted Paloma to reshoot video to omit black lover

Werk

Featured Posts

Werk

PALOMA FAITH has said she missed a chance to break the US after being asked to reshoot a video for her song Only Love Can Hurt Like This “because America will not buy a song with a white woman kissing a black man like that”.

The singer refused, claiming “if I broke America and made loads of money as a consequence of that, know- ing that I’d reshot a video to make it not a biracial relationship, I wouldn’t be able to live with myself, I don’t want that money. It’s dirty.”

Faith claimed a “very high-up exec who was African American” told her: “This is the biggest chance we’ve got at breaking the States with your music career”.

But when he asked her to reshoot the video, which featured a Ugandan childhood friend of hers as the love interest, Faith said she was “completely shocked and obviously taken aback”.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/londoners-diary/the-londoner-paloma-a-mixedrace-kiss-stopped-me-breaking-us-a4484221.html

From what I'm reading on ATRL, it was LA Reid, f*ck him this could've been her breakout single here :grr: 

I mean this is literally a masterpiece already

Borislshere

The way that LA Reid is always second guessing people. A complete mess. 

Lord Temptation

I don’t think it’s an American thing so much as an American media thing, that interracial romances in media are still taboo. Anthropologically, Americans are amongst the most biracial and or multiracial countries on the planet. But for some reason, the media is “afraid” of showing it for “fear it may offend”.

BUtterfield 8

But....why?

Both Adele and Taylor Swift have had black love interests 

Werk
2 minutes ago, Blue Lagoon said:

But....why?

Both Adele and Taylor Swift have had black love interests 

This was back in 2014 and well...that's LA Reid for ya :toofunny:

BUtterfield 8
1 minute ago, Werk said:

Is he the one that was sued by Toni Braxton?

Werk
13 minutes ago, Blue Lagoon said:

Is he the one that was sued by Toni Braxton?

Tbh I don't know about the lawsuit but he's just an overall a bad or greedy person. He was the one accused of sexual harassment and dropped Gaga early into her career only to regret afterwards 

Toni is mentioned in this thread as well: https://atrl.net/forums/topic/38878-la-reid-accused-of-sexual-harrasment/ 

xoxo Craig
Just now, Andreu said:

Not me expecting paloma mami :billie:

who's that? :billie:

End Racism Now

Werk
2 minutes ago, Andreu said:

Not me expecting paloma mami :billie:

1 minute ago, xoxo Craig said:

who's that? :billie:

Chilean queen :lolly: 

StrawberryBlond

Never knew anything about this. I've always wondered why she wasn't properly launched in America. She really deserves to make it, so this is a shame. To think a black man told her this just shows how deep insecurity goes. People just tell themselves that there's invisible blocks in their way to convince themselves that something isn't possible. Interracial relationships are entirely common in America. If anything, it might make a singer stand out even more if their video contains this. Lana Del Rey did it for National Anthem with the storyline of a black man being president and that's not only one of her most popular songs but comes from her most popular album. Lust For Life is also one of her most popular videos with the same dynamic. Gaga was straddling a black man in GUY which is a very successful video considering how long it is and it having 2 versions. Paloma's song is probably her biggest hit in the UK, so there was proof that it worked here. There will always be excuses made as to why something won't work. Executives, like Gaga once said, don't know what the f**k they're doing.

1 hour ago, Lord Temptation said:

I don’t think it’s an American thing so much as an American media thing, that interracial romances in media are still taboo. Anthropologically, Americans are amongst the most biracial and or multiracial countries on the planet. But for some reason, the media is “afraid” of showing it for “fear it may offend”.

So true. I'd argue that America has the most interracial relationships in the world. I've always found it weird that Americans even feel the need to say "interracial relationship" unless is absolutely necessary. Their need to insert race and offence regarding it in every possible way is very unnerving to outsiders.

Midnight Summer

One of the most popular music videos in Youtube history has an interracial couple in it, "Shape of You" by Ed Sheeran. His love interest was half Black/half Asian. That video currently has 4.8 billion views. A lot of people love seeing interracial couples. Especially young people.

LA Reid is an idiot. 

Lord Temptation
4 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Never knew anything about this. I've always wondered why she wasn't properly launched in America. She really deserves to make it, so this is a shame. To think a black man told her this just shows how deep insecurity goes. People just tell themselves that there's invisible blocks in their way to convince themselves that something isn't possible. Interracial relationships are entirely common in America. If anything, it might make a singer stand out even more if their video contains this. Lana Del Rey did it for National Anthem with the storyline of a black man being president and that's not only one of her most popular songs but comes from her most popular album. Lust For Life is also one of her most popular videos with the same dynamic. Gaga was straddling a black man in GUY which is a very successful video considering how long it is and it having 2 versions. Paloma's song is probably her biggest hit in the UK, so there was proof that it worked here. There will always be excuses made as to why something won't work. Executives, like Gaga once said, don't know what the f**k they're doing.

So true. I'd argue that America has the most interracial relationships in the world. I've always found it weird that Americans even feel the need to say "interracial relationship" unless is absolutely necessary. Their need to insert race and offence regarding it in every possible way is very unnerving to outsiders.

The Freudian in me tells me that those who feel compelled to “defend” those who “may” feel offended are actually the ones who feel offended. Corporate America is so insecure and out of touch.  

Loyalty
1 hour ago, Werk said:

Girl 2014 isn’t no excuse, we have seen multiracial relationships in Pop music for ages. 

I’m glad that Paloma went with how she truly felt.

Archived