⛈ RAIN ON ME OUT NOW ⛈

Sign in to follow this  
politics

Hong Kong: Dozens held as 'anti-protest' laws kicks in

KanyeWest

Dozens of people have been arrested in Hong Kong, including a man carrying a pro-independence flag, after a new "anti-protest" law imposed by Beijing came into effect, officials say.

Police have used pepper spray to disperse some protesters gathered to mark 23 years since British rule ended.

The national security law targets secession, subversion and terrorism with punishments up to life in prison.

Critics say it stops some freedoms meant to be guaranteed by China. Hong Kong's sovereignty was handed back to China by Britain in 1997, under an agreement designed to protect certain freedoms for at least 50 years.

The annual pro-democracy march to mark the anniversary had been banned for the first time by authorities, who cited a bar on gatherings of more than 50 people because of Covid-19.

Police confronted a small group of demonstrators gathered in the city centre and at least 30 people were arrested for "unlawful assembly, violating the security law, obstructing police and possession of weapons".

Those arrested included a man carrying a "Hong Kong Independence" flag - protesters have been warned certain slogans and banners might constitute serious crimes under the new law.

Earlier, Chief Executive Carrie Lam, the city's pro-Beijing leader, said the law would "restore stability" after widespread protests in 2019, saying: "The [new law] is considered the most important development in relations between the central government and Hong Kong since the handover."

The legislation has been widely condemned by countries including the US and UK as well as human rights activists and groups. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said: "[China] promised 50 years of freedom to the Hong Kong people, and gave them only 23."

But one Chinese official bristled at foreign critics, asking them: "What's this got to do with you?"

"We Chinese will not be scared by anyone," said Zhang Xiaming of the Hong Kong and Macau Affairs office of the State Council. "Gone are the days when we had to take cues from others."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53244862

People are still demonstrating right now

 

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone
  • Sad 3

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
DesertWolf

Hong Kong needs to gain independence asap (Tibet, Macau and Xinjiang also), China is treating them awfully lately and this new law is just another attack on their freedom. But I don't know how they gonna do it now that the pro-independence party has been dissolved :ohno: 

Spoiler

It's also pretty sad that people in here are more interested in a stupid beauty guru feud than something like this....

 

Wish I laughed and kept the good friendships... My biggest enemy is me, ever since day 1.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
KanyeWest
Just now, DesertWolf said:

Hong Kong needs to gain independence asap (Tibet, Macau and Xinjiang also), China is treating them awfully lately and this new law is just another attack on their freedom. But I don't know how they gonna do it now that the pro-independence party has been dissolved :ohno: 

  Hide contents

It's also pretty sad that people in here are more interested in a stupid beauty guru feud than something like this....

 

They need help from other countries in my opinion. China is not gonna let this go

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
DesertWolf
2 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

They need help from other countries in my opinion. China is not gonna let this go

Yeah, but who's going to confront China? The US under Trump will just lick their *ss and the EU doesn't seem to do too much, only statements condemning the decision :/ It won't be easy for them to get international help 

Wish I laughed and kept the good friendships... My biggest enemy is me, ever since day 1.
  • Sad 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
malazam
Just now, DesertWolf said:

Yeah, but who's going to confront China? The US under Trump will just lick their *ss and the EU doesn't seem to do too much, only statements condemning the decision :/ It won't be easy for them to get international help 

They won't get help, and even if they do it'll just be a doc signed by a bunch of state officials just like they do with Palestine-Israel conflict.

 

another shot before we kiss the other side

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
DesertWolf

just standing there with a flag being considered a crime... so upsetting :crossed:

Wish I laughed and kept the good friendships... My biggest enemy is me, ever since day 1.
  • Sad 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
DesertWolf
8 minutes ago, malazam said:

They won't get help, and even if they do it'll just be a doc signed by a bunch of state officials just like they do with Palestine-Israel conflict.

 

yeah looks like that, so many conflicts are still unresolved, UN won't do anything at all cause China has veto power, so Hong Kong will be slowly dying from now on :madge: China deserves a massive hacker attack from Anon :dom:

Wish I laughed and kept the good friendships... My biggest enemy is me, ever since day 1.
  • YAAAS 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
adterp
Posted (edited)

Tibet, Uygurs, Hong-Kong... what's next? reclaiming Taïwan with repression and ethnocide too? China's imperalism is unstoppable, it's terrifying. The rest of the world needs to wake up. 

Edited by adterp
isn't it too dreamy?
  • YAAAS 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quartz

The Chinese government is TRASH.

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊
  • YAAAS 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
FfFfFfFF

They deserve to be independent. Just like Tibet which deserves even more since they are a different ethnicity. 

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Love 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Monster

As a Hong Konger I want to thank everyone who has been paying attention or supporting us for the past year. It has been a tough year for Hong Kongers, and today marks one of our darkest moments in the process of fighting for freedom. Just wanna say our faiths will never die until Hong Kong gains her glory (or in other terms, independence). We are very glad that many officials around the world have voiced their supports, and many citizens also provided emotional support for us. 
The CCP is untrustworthy. As global citizens we should stand up together to support #antiChinazi to treasure the value of freedom, human rights and democracy. You can start protesting by boycotting made in China products. I hope that in the foreseeable future people can visit a free Hong Kong, a free Tibet, a free East Turkestan and an independent Taiwan. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Monster
1 hour ago, DesertWolf said:

Yeah, but who's going to confront China? The US under Trump will just lick their *ss and the EU doesn't seem to do too much, only statements condemning the decision :/ It won't be easy for them to get international help 

I know many Americans are against Trump at the moment, but most Hong Kongers have the most faith in Trump tbh, because he is the first country leader in the world to be tough and influential against the CCP.

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
DesertWolf
Just now, Blue Monster said:

I know many Americans are against Trump at the moment, but most Hong Kongers have the most faith in Trump tbh, because he is the first country leader in the world to be tough and influential against the CCP.

Well, he was a bit more tough towards China at the beginning of his presidency, but lately haven't seen him very confronting, although he did say he was angry about the current situation regarding CCP and their "security law". But well, US is in a bad situation rn and if they can't fix their own issues it won't be easy to see them helping too much in this issue :ohno:

Wish I laughed and kept the good friendships... My biggest enemy is me, ever since day 1.
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Monster
1 minute ago, DesertWolf said:

Well, he was a bit more tough towards China at the beginning of his presidency, but lately haven't seen him very confronting, although he did say he was angry about the current situation regarding CCP and their "security law". But well, US is in a bad situation rn and if they can't fix their own issues it won't be easy to see them helping too much in this issue :ohno:

Well to us US seems to be the only country we can count on at the moment. US is one of the biggest and most influential countries. The UK seems to become more reliable in the past few months. Taiwan has always supported us, but it only receives limited recognition, therefore with little international influence.

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
DesertWolf
6 minutes ago, Blue Monster said:

Well to us US seems to be the only country we can count on at the moment. US is one of the biggest and most influential countries. The UK seems to become more reliable in the past few months. Taiwan has always supported us, but it only receives limited recognition, therefore with little international influence.

yeah, the UK should take more care tbh, they had a deal to secure at least 50 years of freedom/autonomy for Hong Kong, right? Pretty sure they can do something about it. Also read that Japan is trying to help a bit recently and that they were pushing the UK to take some actions to help HK. Hope the international community start acting fast cause otherwise too many people will be put in jail unfairly 

Wish I laughed and kept the good friendships... My biggest enemy is me, ever since day 1.
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...