⛈ RAIN ON ME OUT NOW ⛈

Sign in to follow this  
science

'Super-Earths' discovered orbiting red dwarf

FfFfFfFF

super-earths.jpg

In research led by the University of Gottingen, the RedDots team of astronomers has detected a system of super-Earth planets orbiting the nearby star Gliese 887, the brightest red dwarf star in the sky.

The newly discovered super-Earths lie close to the red dwarf's habitable zone, where water can exist in liquid form, and could be rocky worlds.

The RedDots team of astronomers monitored the red dwarf, using the HARPS spectrograph at the European Southern Observatory in Chile. They used a technique known as "Doppler wobble", which enables them to measure the tiny back and forth wobbles of the star caused by the gravitational pull of the planets. Scientists estimate the temperature of Gliese 887c to be around 70oC.

RedDwarfEarthGetty62620.jpg

The other interesting feature the team discovered is that the brightness of Gliese 887 is almost constant. Therefore, it will be relatively easy to detect the atmospheres of the super-Earth system, making it a prime target for the James Webb Space Telescope, a successor to the Hubble Telescope.

Source: https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2020/06/super-earths-discovered-orbiting-nearby.html

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Love 3

Doot

Oh thank god. 

Let me know when the first flight happens so I can get off this ridiculous planet. 

ᴡᴀꜱ ɪᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴏᴏɢᴇʏᴍᴀɴ?
  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 1

CatastropheKills

this is super exciting! Hopefully the James Webb telescope brings forth a bunch more super earths or earth like planets 😍 (i dont know why, but super earths specifically really excite and fascinate me. Like imagine an earth 10x our size, sustainable for human life, uninhabited by anyone 😍🤯🤩 Itd solve a lot of issues and create an enormous opportunity for building a peaceful, loving, new world ❤️)

• Like 2

raragaga
3 minutes ago, Doot said:

Oh thank god. 

Let me know when the first flight happens so I can get off this ridiculous planet. 

agreed! 

maxresdefault.jpg

xoxo

lifeasgeorge
11 minutes ago, Doot said:

Oh thank god. 

Let’s get out of here Honey D

UnrulyPersonalIndigobunting-size_restric

• Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

Bae
57 minutes ago, Doot said:

Oh thank god. 

Honestly it’s probably better to just stay here because we have no idea about what kind of dangerous microbes/viruses/oceanic life exist there and you’d probably end up sick or dead pretty soon.

Bae
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, CatastropheKills said:

this is super exciting! Hopefully the James Webb telescope brings forth a bunch more super earths or earth like planets 😍 (i dont know why, but super earths specifically really excite and fascinate me. Like imagine an earth 10x our size, sustainable for human life, uninhabited by anyone 😍🤯🤩 Itd solve a lot of issues and create an enormous opportunity for building a peaceful, loving, new world ❤️)

it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen if people start moving to new planets :rip: 

Edited by Bae

Kitana

itll probably never happen that we will reach other earth-like planets. everything found now is lightyears away and cant be reached in a human life

You will learn respect!