AlexanderMagno

Bad Romance by Lady Gaga vs Believe by Cher  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Bad Romance by Lady Gaga vs Believe by Cher

• Bad Romance
    • Believe

Featured Posts

AlexanderMagno

I don't think I've ever seen this question here, but I thought it was an interesting one.

Bad Romance by Lady Gaga and Believe by Cher are arguably two of the biggest pop hits of all time. Both commercial hits and culturally impactful, both helped redefine pop landscapes and have a huge following by music fans around the world. And of course, both are revered by LGBT community, even though they were able to be a hit among straights as well.

Even though this is GagaDaily, and most of you wear those stan glasses pretty hard, I think it's fair to assume that it's a fair comparison. You can judge it by the quality of the song, by the impact, or by emotional feelings (a few of us were around when Believe was released).

Which one do you prefer? And of course, please be honest (answering "Believe" in no way diminuishes anyone's love or respect for Bad Romance, obviously).

Taide

Believers make some noise.

Although I love both songs, Believe takes the win for me. I love the message and especially the 90's late dance-pop/electronic sound. It was the first song to use auto-tune to distort the vocals (aka Cher effect) and popularize it. Keep in mind that Cher was 5 ****ing 2 when the song was released. 52. In a society where female artists are doomed once they hit their 30s, Cher not only topped the charts but proved people that age is just a number.

Bad Romance.. great gowns, beautiful gowns. 

Economy
Just now, Taide said:

Believer make some noise.

Although I love both songs, Believe takes the win for me. I love the message and especially the 90's late dance-pop/electronic sound. It was the first song to use auto-tune to distort the vocals (aka Cher effect) and popularize it. Keep in mind that Cher was 5 ****ing 2 when the song was released. 52. In a society where female artists are doomed once they hit their 30s, Cher not only topped the charts but proved people that age is just a number.

Bad Romance.. great gowns, beautiful gowns. 

She was (and still is) the oldest female to hit #1 on Hot 100 with Believe :applause:

paradox

believe really is that bitch. i remember listening to it on the radio with my mum when i was little. truly timeless. it still gets played to this day!

bad romance is cute though

River

do u believe in laugh after laugh? I can feel dong ding insami say I really dong ding you're song enough ooow:firega:

I choose believe because nostalgia :diane:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Massive Monster

I can't vote. Believe is a timeless classic, insane that she was 52 when releasing it, and the way autotune was used was insane at the time, changed music forever.

However I do think that Bad Romance is more edgy, sonically changing/surprising for pop and radio, and more of a masterpiece musically: 

-It's got dissonant dentist drill synths during the "love, love, love" part (surprisingly dark for pop and radio)

-a reverberating sound scape which makes it sound gigantic and fit for a stadium 

-an elephant size stomping beat (again very "hard" for pop and radio)

-aggressive and deranged vocals mixed with anthem like melisma 

-the fact that Gaga sings the second "bad" in the chorus as a G-sharp is nothing short but brilliant (for me this is the number one fact why Bad Romance is one of the greatest songs of all time).

More on this:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2014/03/lady_gaga_s_bad_romance_owen_pallett_explains_the_pop_diva_s_genius_using.html?via=gdpr-consent

Kind regards

Dramatica

Believe :excited2:

I didn't ask for a free ride, I only asked you to show me a real good time.

AlexanderMagno
11 minutes ago, Economy said:

Yikes why would u ask this question

Which One Decisions GIF

:hor:

But I was expecting more people voting for Believe :oprah: I don't know, maybe I have a nostalgia factor influencing my decision. I think both can be categorized as perfect pop songs that bring something new to the table. Personally, I was never a big Bad Romance fan though.

Prada

Hard, it is hard.

But, Bad Romance.

It imo is musically and artistically better. 

Believe created a nostalgic feeling even when it was first released. It is a beautiful song too.

LoLaA

I love Believe, however I chose Bad Romance

Always be kind to others, you may need them once

Economy
4 minutes ago, AlexanderMagno said:

But I was expecting more people voting for Believe :oprah: I don't know, maybe I have a nostalgia factor influencing my decision. I think both can be categorized as perfect pop songs that bring something new to the table. Personally, I was never a big Bad Romance fan though.

In terms of musical Influence and impact and being remembered historically I think there's no denying Believe is the bigger song

I feel like everyone is just voting for Bad Romance cuz they like it more and are biased :emma:.

In terms of visuals tho Bad Romance wins because that music video was massive at the time, iconic and influenced others to up their visuals. It was the most viewed video on YouTube at one point and won countless awards

Jose P
9 minutes ago, AlexanderMagno said:

This is GagaDaily, there are probably some who haven’t even heard Believe in full and still voted for Bad Romance :huntyga:

Economy
18 minutes ago, Jose P said:

This is GagaDaily, there are probably some who haven’t even heard Believe in full and still voted for Bad Romance :huntyga:

Tbh. Many here weren't even born yet when that song came out :toofunny:

TrebleBassHeart

Both, but I chose Believe just for nostalgia. 

I make Gaga remixes: https://www.youtube.com/user/SharonPorterMusic91

Archived