💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
game

'Hogwarts Legacy' developers rattled by the JK Rowling backlash

COOOK

Featured Posts

Kapi09

Yaaaas cant wait for this game. :firega: I have been waiting for something like this so many years :bradley:

It's too late, I got on the hype train :air:
#potterhead #slytherin #2021isours
harry potter GIF

My name isn't Alice

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NotDoctor

Man this sucks.  Avalanche is such an awesome studio and I know their employees have been working their asses off on this.  I'm really not sure what to do.  I think I will either pirate it and buy a bunch of their other games instead or buy it and donate a bunch of money to trans charities/organizations to try and offset whatever goes to the idiot upstairs 

heavymlover

I love Harry Potter. It's a huge part of my life and I will always treasure it as such, so it kind of hurts to see everything that's been going on lately with J.K. 

Not sure how the rights for HP work, but maybe Warner should try to take creative control over the franchise and develop new projects without Jo's involvement. I actually really look forward to this game and other possible projects with the Wizarding World, but things have got too messy with J.K. lately.

RahrahWitch

I'd be all over this in a heartbeat but I can't and wont support her anymore.

I'm sure a lot of people worked very hard on it just like for anything Harry potter related but my stance still stands, By supporting this game you are supporting her. She shouldn't be untouchable just because of how vast the franchise has become. You shouldn't feel guilty for the people involved, She should.

For me, WB has to make an a clear-as-day stance against JK for me to give them/their ppl my money.

So many Potterheads are devastated but the truth is ... once an artist puts something into the world it is, in a way, no longer theirs anymore. There's an argument to be made about separating/not separating the art from the artist, but just like memes, slang, fanfic, remixes etc., there is hope in the perpetual nature of art inspiring its own transformation.

I personally will not be buying any more HP licensed products or introducing any more young family members to HP right now.  But this doesn't stop me or anyone from creating/supporting our own inspired and inclusive universe of fan-fic, merch, events, fan-cons,etc. I's been happening.

I can see making entirely new Hogwart's houses celebrating every spectrum of identity specifically to spite her views: new color palettes, new characters, new stories, custom skins in the new game. And nothing can stop it from being that fanfic house and cosplay that actually becomes as popular and renowned as the original IP. Whats-her-face cannot claim or gain from any of that. :woot:

The fandom will have a moment to regroup and put some of their own in check (just like you have to with racists and homophobes), but ultimately whats-her-face has ABSOLUTELY NO POWER to stop the Hogwarts Express from leaving her wholly behind. As we should. :bye:

Potterheads hanging off of Hogwart's Express:

Spoiler

"She's an intellectual, your honor"

WB should donate portion of the proceeds to trans organizations and that’s that on that.

RahrahWitch
3 minutes ago, KNJ said:

For me, WB has to make an a clear-as-day stance against JK for me to give them/their ppl my money.

So many Potterheads are devastated but the truth is ... once an artist puts something into the world it is, in a way, no longer theirs anymore. There's an argument to be made about separating/not separating the art from the artist, but just like memes, slang, fanfic, remixes etc., there is hope in the perpetual nature of art inspiring its own transformation.

I personally will not be buying any more HP licensed products or introducing any more young family members to HP right now.  But this doesn't stop me or anyone from creating/supporting our own inspired and inclusive universe of fan-fic, merch, events, fan-cons,etc. I's been happening.

I can see making entirely new Hogwart's houses celebrating every spectrum of identity specifically to spite her views: new color palettes, new characters, new stories, custom skins in the new game. And nothing can stop it from being that fanfic house and cosplay that actually becomes as popular and renowned as the original IP. Whats-her-face cannot claim or gain from any of that. :woot:

The fandom will have a moment to regroup and put some of their own in check (just like you have to with racists and homophobes), but ultimately whats-her-face has ABSOLUTELY NO POWER to stop the Hogwarts Express from leaving her wholly behind. As we should. :bye:

Potterheads hanging off of Hogwart's Express:

Reveal hidden contents

As much as I wish we could just take the franchise from her and run :ladyhaha: Sadly that's not the case, It's her IP. When an artist creates something it's legally theirs. 

Yes you can create fanfics or remixes but you cannot legally profit off of someone else's IP without their permission. You would have to change every aspect of the original but even then you'd be in a grey area legally speaking. If fans did rebrand the whole franchise and try to build their own they'd be met with a whole lot of lawsuits.

The only way she'd be out of the franchise is if she gave it up which I doubt she would ever do.

NotDoctor
23 minutes ago, RahrahWitch said:

I'd be all over this in a heartbeat but I can't and wont support her anymore.

I'm sure a lot of people worked very hard on it just like for anything Harry potter related but my stance still stands, By supporting this game you are supporting her. She shouldn't be untouchable just because of how vast the franchise has become. You shouldn't feel guilty for the people involved, She should.

You're absolutely right.  I refuse to help sustain her market viability by purchasing this.  I'm sad but I need to let it go.

Lemondeduerl

I can't stand her, but I love HP and I have always liked the videogame franchise. So, I'm excited.

:)

ThisBitch
19 minutes ago, RahrahWitch said:

As much as I wish we could just take the franchise from her and run :ladyhaha: Sadly that's not the case, It's her IP. When an artist creates something it's legally theirs. 

She seems more ready to let the franchise go and let others have fun with it. But she will always receive the money...

For example, the cursed child isn't her production at all! She didn't write it, she didn't create it, she didn't direct it, she only gave them permission to use her charters and her world. It's a beautiful staged play full of beautiful theatre people and I'm sure that they don't agree with JK at all.

1 minute ago, RahrahWitch said:

Yes you can create fanfics or remixes but you cannot legally profit off of someone else's IP without their permission. You would have to change every aspect of the original but even then you'd be in a grey area legally speaking. If fans did rebrand the whole franchise and try to build their own they'd be met with a whole lot of lawsuits.

The only way she'd be out of the franchise is if she gave it up which I doubt she would ever do.

No no. I'm not talking about rebranding the whole franchise. I'm talking about fully exploring the potential of the fanmade universe.

She cannot control content and merch inspired by IP and shared freely. 

She cannot stop people from making/wearing Hogwarts scarves in custom palettes with self-designed patches and house logos.

She cannot stop fanfic universes from becoming as virally popular as the IP itself.

There are definitely legal gray areas but unless she really thinks it's worth it to jump into that muck of year-long battles with literally millions of creators....let it ride. Not like there won't be major pushback. I'd like to see how one would even attempt to shut down a 23 year old, multi-generational fandom.

She cannot control fan culture anymore than Gaga can control our nonsense :giggle:

"She's an intellectual, your honor"

Regina George
43 minutes ago, Brecht said:

WB should donate portion of the proceeds to trans organizations and that’s that on that.

This would definitely be the best way to handle this.

COOOK
22 minutes ago, KNJ said:

She cannot control fan culture anymore than Gaga can control our nonsense :giggle:

It's the moment we profit from it where the line is crossed.

I don't know, this franchise has touched so many childhoods and so many memories that each person has appropriated it and made it their own special world in their heads... this situation leaves us with a whole internal conflict in trying to figure out a creator-creation divorce that would make us continue to consume this without benefitting her...

RahrahWitch
56 minutes ago, KNJ said:

No no. I'm not talking about rebranding the whole franchise. I'm talking about fully exploring the potential of the fanmade universe.

She cannot control content and merch inspired by IP and shared freely. 

She cannot stop people from making/wearing Hogwarts scarves in custom palettes with self-designed patches and house logos.

She cannot stop fanfic universes from becoming as virally popular as the IP itself.

There are definitely legal gray areas but unless she really thinks it's worth it to jump into that muck of year-long battles with literally millions of creators....let it ride. Not like there won't be major pushback. I'd like to see how one would even attempt to shut down a 23 year old, multi-generational fandom.

You could definitely do all those things as long as everything remained free but as soon as moneys made is when it could become a problem since any lawyer could easily point out that it's all based on her initial IP. You'd have so many lawyers wanting to defend her since it'd be an obvious win for her. She has the money to fight it, It's the everyday person I'd be more worried about.

Archived