Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

JK Rowling supports conversion therapy for LGBTQ+ people

Supersonic

Featured Posts

PrinceGaga

she’s a piece of ****. At least I already own the potter books and no longer have to support her in anyway.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CautiousLurker
40 minutes ago, mauvais said:

Commonwealth transphobia is on another level. All of this will only get worse as other anti-trans people become her only allies, and Harry Potter will not be passed down generation by generation. I didn't know, for instance, her book The Silkworm is massively anti-trans.

Harry Potter isn't without its problems too tho - people are just less aware of them, but readwithcindy has pointed out that it's kinda fatphobic first of all - she does not describe the Dursleys in a flattering way, and I mean their physical appearance...

There are also the goblins, and... Rita Skeeter... who is, uh... heavy jawed... with big mannish hands... spies on children... and I oop :enigma:

mpthecat

I guess this is another “accidental” or “for research” like... /s

Yeah, her like comes in support for woman rights yet again, but honestly, I don’t care anymore, I tried to empathize with her views but this whole thing along with her manifesto last time just makes my blood boil. 

Daylight Jokers
17 minutes ago, CautiousLurker said:

readwithcindy

Oh god, I love this woman.

Mr Oak
20 minutes ago, CautiousLurker said:

Harry Potter isn't without its problems too tho - people are just less aware of them, but readwithcindy has pointed out that it's kinda fatphobic first of all - she does not describe the Dursleys in a flattering way, and I mean their physical appearance...

There are also the goblins, and... Rita Skeeter... who is, uh... heavy jawed... with big mannish hands... spies on children... and I oop :enigma:

what's wrong with the goblins?:what:

CautiousLurker
2 minutes ago, NoahSuns said:

what's wrong with the goblins?:what:

They're coded with a harmful stereotype associated with jewish people :bon:

I say coded because I don't think it was directly intended that way, but I might be wrong 

OMonster
33 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

Ooh, we are now reaching to the stars I see. 

Well, it wasn't really a reach. There's legitimate concern surrounding children not being properly safeguarded, especially when gender is being continuously kicked around like a political football. 

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with a piece of legislation that prevents children from being counselled for gender dysphoria. 

BUT I read the full bill, and I deleted my response because it states that it does not apply to counselling regarding gender transitioning - it simply seeks to stop a therapist from thinking it is possible (or right) to turn an already safeguarded transgender person into a cisgender person, which is, of course, something I support. 

So, on that note, my defence of JK was misinformed. 

That said, I do think it's quite likely that she probably hasn't read the bill in full and didn't understand / or wasn't aware of this differentiation. 

And sure, you might think she ought to read a bill before publicly commenting - but this was just a like on a tweet that thanked her; it wasn't a public statement. 

Anyway. As I said before, I am not a fan of JK. I just don't particularly like it when people are so quick to think the worst of others. There are two sides to every story - and there is nothing JK has ever said or done that would suggest she is for the conversion of transgender people, which is what this thread is suggesting. 

subtext / fantasy

CautiousLurker
7 minutes ago, Daylight Jokers said:

Oh god, I love this woman.

Omg yes, one of my faves on yt... She replied to one of my comments once and I died :bradley:

Mr Oak
3 minutes ago, CautiousLurker said:

They're coded with a harmful stereotype associated with jewish people :bon:

I say coded because I don't think it was directly intended that way, but I might be wrong 

pedro what GIF

CautiousLurker
9 minutes ago, NoahSuns said:

pedro what GIF

In the past (and not so past cuz it still happens to an extent) jewish people would be caricatured as dishonest, money-hungry opportunists with big noses (no idea where the nose part came from)

They would be portrayed in media as something like this

Spoiler

qDGmn0-F1n3Ik2Ktuuw58QUS3DDdraKvWj0pZ60X 
ben%20garrison%20cartoon.jpg?h=56bf1666&

The image of goblins in HP series very much plays into that caricature, the origin of which is antisemitism

Mr Oak
5 minutes ago, CautiousLurker said:

In the past (and not so past cuz it still happens to an extent) jewish people would be caricatured as dishonest, money-hungry opportunists with big noses (no idea where the nose part came from)

They would be portrayed in media as something like this

Reveal hidden contents

qDGmn0-F1n3Ik2Ktuuw58QUS3DDdraKvWj0pZ60X 
ben%20garrison%20cartoon.jpg?h=56bf1666&

The image of goblins in HP series very much plays into that caricature, the origin of which is antisemitism

yeah I searched and read about all this

but I don't think these were her intentions 

I mean, if you google 'Goblins' most of them have big noses and not only them...generally many dark creatures have big ones

Also Dwarfs in The Hobbit and LOTR have big noses and love gold

CautiousLurker
1 minute ago, NoahSuns said:

yeah I searched and read about all this

but I don't think these were her intentions 

I mean, if you google 'Goblins' most of them have big noses and not only them...generally many dark creatures have big ones

Yeah, but doing so, even unconsciously, is not beyond reproach - some of the tropes in fantasy genres have not so flattering origins - it's good to be aware of them... Also in her case, she kinda made it worse by making them bank tellers basically, like really :laughga:

gagzus

Girl her damn book series and it’s accompanying films are nowhere near good enough for her to think she’s amazing and correct 💀💀 Tory’s man 

Archived